912 Forum 1965-1969

How much work , and whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:59 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much work , and whats it worth?

1966 912-fuchs wheels,have oringals. Nardi steering wheel. CD player. recent engine rebuild-less than 5k on rebuild-rebuilt one carb-other is off car and needs rebuild-have kit. rear calipers locked-up-they are off car - have rebuild kits. car has normal rust-pans have been redone at one point but needs redone. have many parts, ie seats, exhaust, wheels. Make offer-let´s talk. Car was my daily driver for years. No time or place to restore.
This is in my local paper. How much work is it to rebuild the carb and calipers?
The guy wants $2500 for the car.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbs and binders are easy but the rust will be expensive unless you have the skills and tools to do it yourself. Don't look hard at the carbs and miss the rust. "pans redone and to be redone again" reads "Pans were replaced in a hack job while ago and the work has all fallen apart adding to the issues". This car sounds like a ground up restore or at least a all systems tear down and repair / rebuild. If so leave it to the better equipped if not so yourself. There are no bargains in old Porsches. Up front or over time you will pay unless you are strong in DIY. The motor rebuild might have resulted in a solid motor or a loosely held together headache looking for a new owner to torture.

You can't tell unless you look and looking does not hurt. A sound 66 912 would be worth well more than that but the nice common early porsche will also cost more to make it nice than it can be sold for after.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes Perfect sense to me!
Thanks

Quick Reply: How much work , and whats it worth?