Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   912 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/912-forum-76/)
-   -   Porsche's recommended tires (912) (https://rennlist.com/forums/912-forum/1147594-porsches-recommended-tires-912-a.html)

flavorflavorflav 06-13-2019 12:06 AM

Porsche's recommended tires (912)

For my 1968 912, Porsche recommends a P6000 pirelli in 185 65 15 but they are major money. I could get other same size Pirelli's (p4) for nearly 1/4 of the cost. Yes the p6000 are rated to 150+ miles an hour but my car can't go that fast. Will I notice a difference if I go with some cheaper tires for my Fuchs 15" rims?

Thanks all for weighing in...

bruce911 06-17-2019 02:52 AM

Tires have come a long way since these cars were new. Look on tire rack (or similar site) and look at the size you need, then do a search and see what the comments or ratings are. Just my 2 cents. I am looking at 195-60 for my 912 on 15x6 Fuchs.

Mr Michael B 06-18-2019 10:26 PM

Tires my Porsche friend are your only contact with the road. I would not think a Porsche driver would want to dispute price ~ when it is that important.

Save the cost comparisons for the Maverick or Malibus. Henry Ford once said "I just want them black, cheap & round. And not necessarily in that order."

Dr Porsche never said that.

MexicoBlueTurboS 06-28-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B (Post 15916993)
Tires my Porsche friend are your only contact with the road. I would not think a Porsche driver would want to dispute price ~ when it is that important.

Save the cost comparisons for the Maverick or Malibus. Henry Ford once said "I just want them black, cheap & round. And not necessarily in that order."

Dr Porsche never said that.

That's a little harsh IMHO. Good tires are good tires. If the speed rating is adequate (most 912s go about 130 tops) then the OP is better off with new tires he can afford to replace more often than to buy expensive tires that are milked until threadbare.

We've been arguing this same topic in the 997 and 997 Turbo forums for some time and guys with cars that go 186mph + sometimes pick General, Continental and Hankook tires and do just fine.

You 912 guys also have an advantage in that you can carry a spare and rotate your tires so it's easy to get good longevity from a set. New 911's need new rears about every 12,000 miles give or take and MUST replace punctured fronts every time.

There is one case where I'd agree with Michael B - if you anticipate selling the car anytime soon. Having the right tires at that time will be a factor in how your car is seen as having been taken care of or 'shortcuts' taken under your ownership.

I miss my 912.

Mr Michael B 06-30-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS (Post 15938849)
...There is one case where I'd agree with Michael B - if you anticipate selling the car anytime soon. Having the right tires at that time will be a factor in how your car is seen as having been taken care of or 'shortcuts' taken under your ownership...

Hey fair enough as I think your statement above actually bolsters mine. Leave the budget tires for a budget car.