Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Thoughts on this 69' 912, I'm very close to buying it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:28 AM
deca
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on this 69' 912, I'm very close to buying it.

These are pictures of a 1969 Porsche 912 that is (fairly) local to me, according to the owner the car has rust on the rockers and the floor pans need to be replaced (due to rust presumably). The engine runs & I have seen videos of the car driving around, although I wouldn't plan on taking this car on a road trip anytime soon... the car comes w/ the front bumper and several miscellaneous parts. I have access to a shop with lifts and every tool imaginable, my buddies who own the shop also know how to weld, paint, do body work, etc. etc. they have restored several vintage cars in the past, although those cars were 70's trans-ams. ANYWAYS, for $10-13k I was wondering if this is a decent way to get into a vintage Porsche, or if I should keep looking. I've been looking for a project for the past several months now but.. would this be too much of a project to take on? Thanks for reading.

By the way, the original color of the car is Ossi Blue. Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I'm fairly new to this!
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

As a restoration project, always go for the car in the best condition you can find. This car is the opposite of that, a virtual basket case. Every photo shows a disaster. The car isn't safe to drive; have you really seen it driving around town? And that engine does not appear to be from a 912; I think it may be a 914 engine.

There are lots of discussions about restoration over on the 911 forum, but the bottom line is that this is a 912 and not a 911, and restoring this car will cost far more than the car will be worth at the end, even if you do virtually all the work yourself at your friends' shop. This restoration will take you many years, will require many different skillsets (different from those needed to restore a TransAm), will require extensive time chasing down rare parts (many 1969 parts are one-year-only and NLA), and will require beaucoups bucks. Finally, this car isn't worth anywhere close to $10-13K in its current state. Run away.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 PM
deca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspritz
As a restoration project, always go for the car in the best condition you can find. This car is the opposite of that, a virtual basket case. Every photo shows a disaster. The car isn't safe to drive; have you really seen it driving around town? And that engine does not appear to be from a 912; I think it may be a 914 engine.

There are lots of discussions about restoration over on the 911 forum, but the bottom line is that this is a 912 and not a 911, and restoring this car will cost far more than the car will be worth at the end, even if you do virtually all the work yourself at your friends' shop. This restoration will take you many years, will require many different skillsets (different from those needed to restore a TransAm), will require extensive time chasing down rare parts (many 1969 parts are one-year-only and NLA), and will require beaucoups bucks. Finally, this car isn't worth anywhere close to $10-13K in its current state. Run away.
Thanks for your input! Looking into Porsche restorations people have done in the past it looks like this car would be a massive head ache as the car has tons of rust, a missed-matched engine & tranny, parts missing, etc. The car "runs" but only around the guys yard.. I will continue to look for a "decent" 911T to start my "outlaw" project on where the body has little to no rust and less parts missing. I'm fine with the restoration taking a while, if I'm going through the whole process of restoring a car I'd like to keep it for a while, if not indefinitely, however I would like the restoration to be do-able aha.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. Run away.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:58 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 534 Posts

RUN FORREST RUN!!! IMHO that is at best a parts car, and it isn't even a proper 912 engine!! That is a Type IV from a VW or 914, possibly a 912E... The rust damage around the gas tank is major and that is the tip of the iceberg. 10-13K??? Who are they kidding???
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 PM
deca
Rennlist Member

RUN FORREST RUN!!! IMHO that is at best a parts car, and it isn't even a proper 912 engine!! That is a Type IV from a VW or 914, possibly a 912E... The rust damage around the gas tank is major and that is the tip of the iceberg. 10-13K??? Who are they kidding???
After further research engine is from a VW aha, I am very glad I didn't purchase this car (especially after looking into how much it would cost to fix all the rust, find a new engine, transmission, etc.)! I really appreciate your input and I'm perplexed as to how the guy managed to sell the car for $13k.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 534 Posts

Guess there is a sucker born every minute who wants a longhood...
Old 08-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

912s were great cars when they were a few thousand dollars - maybe up to $10k for a nice one. But the whole air cooled hysteria is ridiculous. I like the idea of being able to do most procedures on my car but in reality, I make more an hour than I save so why not have a fully trained mechanic (and fidelity warranty) to keep my car running? With a 50k budget I ended up with a 997.2 - 40k miles, full leather 4s cab or could have bought a nice (but not anywhere close to the condition) 912. A long hood 911 is even more ridiculous.

The choice between a 69 911 T and a 2012 Turbo - that's easy. 2.7 0-60 everyday.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 69' 912, I'm very close to buying it.