911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

My first...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:56 PM
freesaints
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first...

Well, I've officially joined the 930 Turbo club. I received the car today after several long months of searching, a few PPI's, a lot of dead ends and many, many questions for the experts here on RL. This beauty came from PA and I welcomed her home this morning! Thanks bweSteve and CBWell for all the help, happy to join the ranks.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 PM
obdel#1
Intermediate

Beautiful 930 - love it in white! Enjoy!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM
freesaints
Advanced

Thanks! White was actually my first choice so I'm glad I was able to find a good one. Enjoying it already!
Old 05-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautimus! I'm partial to white as well. You'll get all the advice you need on these forums, especially over on Pelican where a bunch of crazy 930 dudes hang out. More is known about these cars now than when they first hit the streets, thanks to the collective wisdom.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, Andrew! I know it was a long journey but looks like you found a winner. I'm looking forward to checking it out in person and going on some spirited drives.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 PM
freesaints
Advanced

Mark, I couldn't agree more. I've spent a bunch of time over there on PP and there's definitely a wealth of information in that group.

Clint, looking forward to it. Let me get my plates taken care of and then let's hit the road!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:45 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

so happy to see this car in your hands Andrew!!

You're gonna have a blast tweeking & making it your own,.. all the while DRIVING it at the same time.

Question, did he send you the original wastegate with the car too? He said he was having it rebuilt when I spoke with him,... but wasn't sure if it was done prior to him shipping you the car.

Talk soon.
=Steve
Old 05-22-2017, 10:31 AM
freesaints
Advanced

Thanks Steve!

Yes, he did send the original wastegate with the car, along with a few other original pieces (steering wheel, floor mats, etc).
Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Awesome looking car. Looks great in white.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Man, I gotta chime in again, and just say how EXCITED I am for you,... mostly that after all your searching & time spent,... that you ended up with an actual 930,... verses say a widebody conversion, which you were open to. Mostly because I went through the EXACT same roller coaster back when my wife & I were searching for the right car,... and our #1 desire was a widebody,... we came close to even buying a M491 which we loved!, and also looked at a couple NB conversions too. To us it didn't really matter how the car came to be a widebody, it just needed to be a widebody. Ending up with a real-deal car will just give you sooo much more freedom to spend $$ on it, knowing it will carry value through the years of ownership. So happy the black widebody race-car conversion did NOT work out for you!! You're gonna be SO much happier with this car!!

Ok,... nuff happiness for one post.
Enjoy!!
=Steve
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Outstanding, I'm very much trying to swap my 997 for a 930/965!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 AM
freesaints
Advanced

Thanks all, I've been enjoying getting some miles under my belt. I've had to constrain myself a bit since I don't have my plates yet, but there was no way it was going to sit in the garage for another couple of weeks. What an experience driving one of these! I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but what a visceral feeling. Still amazed at the handling. I've owned some American muscle and Japanese sports cars but this is altogether different.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Ok Andrew,... it's been almost a month... I was gonna call you,... but figured others would want to hear too...

How goes it?? Love to see & hear some more...

=Steve
Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 PM
freesaints
Advanced

Steve, great to hear from you! There's been some good and some bad. Enjoyed the car for about a week then went to take it into Colvin Automotive here in Austin to look at getting a valve adjustment (no previous records so felt it was necessary to start fresh) and to address a few known, smaller items (odometer gear, squeaky clutch assembly).

Unfortunately, they found pretty extensive rust in the front suspension pan and perhaps even into surrounding areas. The rust was due to a previously leaking battery (this was disclosed to me) that resulted in stripping the galvanized portion of the sheetmetal that then rusted (not disclosed). And good thing I got it in, the place where the control arm connects the pan was held on by a single bolt and you could move the entire thing by hand. So, car is on the lift right now addressing this. For now, the nice-to-have upgrades are on hold to pay for this.

I'm going to start a new thread for my "build", mainly to keep track of it for myself, but hopefully I'll have the car back in 2-3 weeks and can get back to enjoying it.

Quick Reply: My first...