911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1988 930 Loose headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:27 PM
disruptv
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1988 930 Loose headlight

Was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on how to tighten up the headlight on my 930. One of the headlights is not tightly in place (it has some movement if you push on the headlight). I took the headlight ring off and noticed that it is hold in place by one screw to a small plate on the body. There are three other housings that the headlight assembly is supposed to somehow be placed between them to hold it nice and tight. However, my efforts so far to find that magical position has failed and I end up with the loose headlight. Any diagrams or descriptions of how to install the headlight within the 3 housings would be much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

"The assembly itself is attached to the fender by the one screw at the bottom that used to hold on the headlamp ring. Place the assembly into the fender, and make sure that the wire harness is folded out of the way. There should be a slight edge at the top of the fender that the top of the H4 assembly will 'clip' into when tightened. Make sure that the assembly is properly installed onto this clip when you tighten the screw at the bottom. You should be able to pull on the top of the assembly without having it move. Also make sure that you also install a new headlamp seal around the interface between the assembly and the fender."
Old 05-29-2017, 06:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...mp_Upgrade.htm
Old 05-30-2017, 12:50 AM
disruptv
AutoX

Mussberger, Thank you so much for your guidance. I will try this and report back (may not get to it till next weekend).
Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM
disruptv
AutoX

Upon further inspection, I realized that there are actually 2 screws one on each side that attaches the headlamp assembly to the fender (neither is at the bottom, the same as the screw that holds the ring). And it appears that the metal holder on the assembly that attaches to one side of the fender is broken at the base and as a result is loose and can not be screwed to the fender. The metal peace either needs to be soldered back together or I need to replace the whole light assembly. Any other thoughts appreciated.

Quick Reply: 1988 930 Loose headlight