911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

SC pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:01 AM
freesaints
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC pricing question

What do you guys think fair pricing for an '83 SC would be nowadays? Does a widebody conversion (not factory m491) do anything to the price (increase/decrease)?

Came across this car on Pelican and was trying to get an idea of fair market value based on an admittedly limited description.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-widebody.html

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

First thought... you should post this on the 911 forum, there would be those with similar cars and this car has probably been discussed there.

2nd thought.. these days, with the way the market has gone, I doubt that it would increase the value. Hard to say what the market price would be.. and a lot depends on the overall condition as to where its going to fall with SC pricing.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:13 PM
freesaints
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. I'll include on the 911 forum as well.

That's what I'm thinking as well about the value, was hoping to pinpoint an average or somewhat of a trend with these cars. I agree, so much seems to depend on actual condition of the vehicle.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

I know I'm at risk saying this,.... but I kinda feel like all narrow body guys secretly wish theirs was a widebody. They just don't want to admit it out loud. If you are a fan of sexy hips, how could you not?

That being said, the "market" usually depends as much on condition, vintage, authenticity, maintenance, etc,.... as it does WHO out there wants to buy one. So if the demand out weighs the supply, then the pricing might reflect. So it could possibly be a slightly higher price verses the same car, same condition.

Me? If I was considering a SC (which I have indeed owned several decades ago, and sold..... drum roll,.... so I could find a widebody),... I would indeed consider a well built SC widebody.

I came very close to buying a M491 back in the mid 90's. But decided on a more original Turbo instead.

I think it's worth going to look at. But Hersey is a long way from Texas.

My wife & I are probably going to Hershey though,... so if you want to pursue further & need a set of eyes on it....

GL.
=Steve
Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 AM
freesaints
Advanced

Steve, I appreciate the feedback and it seems like that will be the standard truth -- that the value is based on condition and what someone is willing to pay for it. And it seems like I'm in the same boat as you were, considering a well-sorted SC widebody at the same time as I'm looking at Turbos. I know you can't replicate a Turbo, it's its own beast, but a solid SC with the widebody look is appealing as well. For a lot less too.

I also sent you a PM about Hershey, might take you up on that. I appreciate the offer.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:24 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

... and to add a little more (of my own personal preferences),... like you said freesaints, a well sorted SC that has the beauty of a widebody, but is NOT a Turbo is appealing to me too, since I really enjoy autocrossing, AND a NA car would be MUCH better around the cones. Wife & I don't autoX the 964T anymore,... just too much of handful. Plus we have a 2012 Cayenne Turbo with PDCC/PTV, and that thing is just a lot of fun to toss a 5k lb machine around the cones. Problem is, we have to alternate driving it (like yesterday), the wife likes to throw it into the corners just as much as I do.

Plus I LOVE NA high compression motors. Not that most SC 3.0 & 3.2 motors are high compression (Porsche world),... but they are still very fun to drive (there is nothing like the quick rpm response of a high compression motor that revs UP quick, and comes down just as fast). I had a '79 SC with the whale tail, but kept it in it's original narrow body state, and that thing was a blast to drive.

now the M491?... yea, I really wish I picked one of those up back in the late 90's when I ran across a couple of them (.... we all got those "missed opp moments").

Oh Btw, in the ad for that '83 steel widebody SC, the seller states he just put in a new "silver" interior carpet kit.
I'm willing to bet that is a typo, and he meant to say "SLIVERKNIT" carpet.

...haven't received the PM yet.
=Steve
Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 PM
freesaints
Advanced

Steve, just sent the PM again, I think I sent it as an email before.

First, I think it's awesome that you and your wife autocross together. Lucky man!

Second, I've also been looking at factory m491 options but those seem to be rarer and almost as much as decent turbos nowadays. I keep going back and forth but it will more than likely come down to opportunity, whichever presents itself first. I also PM'd the guy selling the 94 964 widebody but an hour after he posted and I'm 5th in line. Those come open even more infrequently I'm finding.

And I saw that on his posting and assumed the same.

Quick Reply: SC pricing question