Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Taking the plunge on a 930 Slant. What to do before I buy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Taking the plunge on a 930 Slant. What to do before I buy??

OK, so the Slant Nose is the look that intrigued me most as a kid. More than the Countach. More than the Testarossa. It's not just the look, but the story and the history as well.

After 18 months in what I consider to be the best sounding car ever made (the Cayman GT4) I am selling and taking the plunge on a low mileage 930 Slant coupe. More details to come. I expect to put a deal together in the next 48 hours.

I don't know if this is the bottom of the current market for slants, but with the recent correction I feel comfortable enough in taking the plunge.

I've only been looking at real 505's with all documentation and ancillaries and with recent major services, so I have that part covered (the only exceptions I've have given on are copies of the original window sticker vs. the true original). There are probably other things I'm not so versed in though, as my classic car experience is very limited.

So, I'd love advice on anything I should look for in the final hours/days from 505 and 930 owners in general. And also what I need to arrange:

What to Look for:
- other than overall condition (I'm a detailing junkie) I've seen cracks in the paint at the bottom of the A pillars on some of these cars, general damage to the lower valance on the fronts, stitching coming apart on the steering wheels (regardless of mileage) and badly repainted wheel centers. Is there anything else I should be looking for that can be typical on these cars?

What to do:
- Transport, etc. will be covered... but classic insurance? I have no idea where to go or where the better classic car policies (expecting very limited mileage) can be found.
- Storage. It will be in my insulated garage. As a detailing enthusiast I'm against car covers. I'm considering a car capsule or similar. Thoughts? Also about setting a rust inhibitor in there, like zerust? I have no experience in these things.

Any and all help appreciated. Time is ticking!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I use American Modern for insurance, they were boatloads of dough cheaper than Hagerty.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:15 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NBoost
I use American Modern for insurance, they were boatloads of dough cheaper than Hagerty.
Hey, much appreciated, NBoost! I only gathered one prospective quote at this point (from Hagerty) and I was frankly shocked at how high it was.

This was exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM
NBoost
Pro

I almost bought an 87 505 before I bought my 930, ended up going with it because it was an 89 and I was pretty fixated on the G50. Are you looking at the red car for sale here on RL? That thing is gorgeous.

One thing a collector buddy told me to do was to gently pull on the outer speedometer ring. If it pulls off easily it's probably been taken off before and you should probably run. Also, as you know paint is a crucial indicator of value. Buying your own meter and learning how to use it is a sound investment. And the most important thing is to never fall so in love with a car that you can't walk away when a red flag appears.

I made a six figure error by falling in love with a car without conducting proper due diligence. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, months of bad sleep ensued. Never trust a dealer, a collector friend who's bought and sold countless air-cooled Turbos over the past three decades once told me he can count the honest dealers out there on one hand with a couple of fingers cut off.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a huge thread over on pelican, all things slant.
If it's the one in the fs, you have a good one!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

I almost bought an 87 505 before I bought my 930, ended up going with it because it was an 89 and I was pretty fixated on the G50. Are you looking at the red car for sale here on RL? That thing is gorgeous.

One thing a collector buddy told me to do was to gently pull on the outer speedometer ring. If it pulls off easily it's probably been taken off before and you should probably run. Also, as you know paint is a crucial indicator of value. Buying your own meter and learning how to use it is a sound investment. And the most important thing is to never fall so in love with a car that you can't walk away when a red flag appears.

I made a six figure error by falling in love with a car without conducting proper due diligence. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, months of bad sleep ensued. Never trust a dealer, a collector friend who's bought and sold countless air-cooled Turbos over the past three decades once told me he can count the honest dealers out there on one hand with a couple of fingers cut off.
Thanks much. Trying to find a detailer in the local area who can run a DeFelsko over the car. I much pprefer to see cars in person. It necessitates a flight, but I've seen some mid-driver's quality slants described as "immaculate / collector-grade" before, so I think we've had similar experiences!

Never heard the speedo ring suggestion before. That's invaluable! This car's pretty well documented, but as you say, it's easy to get your fingers burned if not performing the proper due diligence.

This isn't the car on RL, but that car is a beaut! This is very similar. Lower miles. Also looked at a nice '89 cab in NC that I actually saw at auction in the summer, but there's burn-through on the paint, and I assumed it would be a hassle to get into the refurb business...

Sounds awful, but I just saw my GT4 being trailered off this morning, and I loved that car. I've always loved the slants, but I'm also looking to make a return on it, so it's 70% head and 30% heart on this one. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
There's a huge thread over on pelican, all things slant.
If it's the one in the fs, you have a good one!
Yeah, that car is certainly on my list if this deal falls through. I love that car! Anything that's gone through Esoteric isn't going to look shabby.

I was all over that thread too. I started looking at these things a couple of years back, but the market was not in my favor. There's a mystique about these cars that's all their own.

These cars deserve their own photo-rich website, and I'm happy to create one if need be.

Last edited by IrishAndy; 03-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What color are you looking at?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
What color are you looking at?
Looking at Cassis, but a black one just came within range of what I think it's worth, so it just got interesting...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM
NBoost
Pro

The white 87 listed on PCA looks nice. It's a 15k mile car and priced accordingly though.

http://rpmsportscars.com/door10.htm
Andy, ask Ray to send you pictures of that^ car. It's incredible. He's also a good guy to talk to and might know of a car or two that's not currently advertised.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

I hadn't seen the white one... thanks, NBoost! I always loved slants in white, though this one is probably out of my league, price-wise.

Also, thanks a lot for the potential lead on other slants... that's huge! I cannot wait to see the green car. Can't imagine how good that looks
Old 03-21-2017, 04:37 PM
NBoost
Pro

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...che&modelFacet[]=930&modelFacet[]=930S&sort=sort_time_desc&page_size=60&start=0

4 or 5 factory 505 cars on Hemmings, the black car in Canada looks nice, the silver car might be worth checking out if you can find a set of Fuchs for it.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:38 PM
NBoost
Pro

Crap, link failed, search 930 and 930S on Hemmings if you haven't already.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Crap, link failed, search 930 and 930S on Hemmings if you haven't already.
I noticed that earlier, but searched as you suggest. Man, you are like the slant nose whisperer! Hugely helpful!!

I love the Canada car, but a few things look a touch off (fit of rubber trim on top of front bumper around the corners... quad exhausts...) but the interior looks very good save for the ever-fading door pulls.

Black cab... saw a lower mileage '89 going cheaper than this with one flaw in the paint. Almost pulled the trigger (anyone interested PM me).

News flash: just received agreement on an offer I made on the low mileage Cassis (subject to inspection). Expectation is mint/flawless. If that falls through I'll still be looking (in fact am still looking in the meantime just in case). Will be calling RPM tomorrow for any leads, though I'll be amazed if they don't put the phone down on me... some of those cars are another level of rare. Way beyond my pay grade!!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 AM
NBoost
Pro

Keep us updated. Cassis is a perfect color for an 80s icon. And yes, RPM has a bonkers inventory. Delivery mile cars like the green 89 trade for crazy money.

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge on a 930 Slant. What to do before I buy??