Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Introducing STEK-USA: The Largest Paint Protection Film Company You Never Heard Of

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM
STEK-USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introducing STEK-USA: The Largest Paint Protection Film Company You Never Heard Of

Greetings! We're one of Rennlist's newest sponsors and a PPF brand you've probably never heard of but we're one of the oldest and largest PPF manufacturers. Since last November we've been marketing our brand directly into the US to a very positive market reception. PPF installation is rapidly expanding and there are a lot of urban legends and misunderstandings about the use of films on cars - so we aim to be the "myth-busters" of PPF here on Rennlist.

You can learn more here on Rennlist or visit us at http://www.stek-usa.com.

Full disclosure - I'm also beaverlake on Rennlist, a PCA regional board member, and total Porsche promoter!

gordon
Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting. Have to say I'd never heard of STEK, but now I have!

Question: The site seems to suggest covering headlights.

Going back (maybe) to the urban legends there are very views on trapping heat buildup in this area, and also about newer Porsche headlights having a factoring covering on them which could potentially peel off during film removal (I believe some XPEL installers shy away from this for the above reason, but I'd love a fresh perspective).
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 PM
STEK-USA
Former Vendor

We do not cover any damage to headlights under warranty. There are soooo many variables. If you find an installer that meets all the criteria for knowledge, skills, references, and price (the combination of which equals your total cost) - ask them. Some will, some won't. But as a manufacturer we don't warranty damage to the substrate (paint or headlights) - which, to the best of my knowledge, is standard across the supplier marketplace.

gordon
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Gordon. So, it's down to the installer. Certainly the same approach as XPel.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by STEK-USA
We do not cover any damage to headlights under warranty. There are soooo many variables. If you find an installer that meets all the criteria for knowledge, skills, references, and price (the combination of which equals your total cost) - ask them. Some will, some won't. But as a manufacturer we don't warranty damage to the substrate (paint or headlights) - which, to the best of my knowledge, is standard across the supplier marketplace.

gordon
... which is a good reason why those of us with non-metallic & therefore non-clear-coat, single stage solvent based paints from the 80's & 90's need to be VERY careful when making a decision like this. Although I have never personally seen it myself on one of our high end cars, I have indeed seen it first hand on a lower end car (older VW Jetta), whereby the lifting of film has indeed taken the paint right off the primer.

I will say that in all my research in the past 2 years, as well as having film put on my 2012 Cayenne, and stood in front of & watched installation on clear-coat Porsche paint, the newer film products are much much better than those from even 5 yrs ago. So I will also caveat that the film removal where I saw it take the paint off with it, was older film (this was 2 yrs ago I saw it, and I believe the film was 6 yrs old at the time,... so film vintage was 2010 timeframe).

Given I have all-original 1991 paint on my 964, I decided to go the ceramic route first. This locked in my paint, and I am VERY pleased with the results. The shine is,... well, good enough to take 3rd place at the Werks Reunion 2 weeks ago. It is superb,... AND I now have peace of mind that my paint is locked down. 4 coats of ceramic has now given me the confidence that IF I decide to put a film over it,... I won't have problems down the road with removal.

my .02
=Steve
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bweSteve
... which is a good reason why those of us with non-metallic & therefore non-clear-coat, single stage solvent based paints from the 80's & 90's need to be VERY careful when making a decision like this. Although I have never personally seen it myself on one of our high end cars, I have indeed seen it first hand on a lower end car (older VW Jetta), whereby the lifting of film has indeed taken the paint right off the primer.

I will say that in all my research in the past 2 years, as well as having film put on my 2012 Cayenne, and stood in front of & watched installation on clear-coat Porsche paint, the newer film products are much much better than those from even 5 yrs ago. So I will also caveat that the film removal where I saw it take the paint off with it, was older film (this was 2 yrs ago I saw it, and I believe the film was 6 yrs old at the time,... so film vintage was 2010 timeframe).

Given I have all-original 1991 paint on my 964, I decided to go the ceramic route first. This locked in my paint, and I am VERY pleased with the results. The shine is,... well, good enough to take 3rd place at the Werks Reunion 2 weeks ago. It is superb,... AND I now have peace of mind that my paint is locked down. 4 coats of ceramic has now given me the confidence that IF I decide to put a film over it,... I won't have problems down the road with removal.

my .02
=Steve
Wise words. Covered my GT4 as soon as I could (film is so good these days), but I'd never do it on older paint, even if I was sure no panels had been resprayed.

I also removed the original fender guards from my 997.2 and even with steam it's crazy how well this stuff sticks. I wish a film company would come up with a version with much lower adhesion and no more than, say, a 1 year warranty for classic cars. The risk of removal of the regular stuff is simply too high for me on older stock.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 AM
STEK-USA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Thanks, Gordon. So, it's down to the installer. Certainly the same approach as XPel.

Thanks,

Andy
Yup - the best product in the world can't make the work of an untalented )or worse a sloppy) installer look good. You know the drill - good, fast, cheap: pick two.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 AM
STEK-USA
Former Vendor

Steve and Andy - good points and potentially a good solution with a ceramic coating barrier.

Quick Reply: Introducing STEK-USA: The Largest Paint Protection Film Company You Never Heard Of