Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Are 89' Ruf turbos reliable and well worth their cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 05:59 PM
427grips
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are 89' Ruf turbos reliable and well worth their cost?

Am I crazy for wanting a clean 80's vintage Turbo Coupe? I have a slight curiosity for the Ruf cars. Are they reliable and worth it? What do I do if it goes bad, how much to repair? Is it a wanted car?

I am a 89' carrera coupe owner for the last 11 yrs. I want a turbo now, I think....

427grips
Old 11-10-2003, 09:35 PM
DGlenn
Racer

I would say you are crazy if you wouldn't want an 80's turbo! I sure as heck want one. I was about 8 hours away from pulling the trigger on one when we found out we are expecting our first child. I decided to scale back the budget for now....

As far as Ruf, I can't give any advice about them other than the fact that I have read nothing but good things about them.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

427: Here's my two cents worth. I am a former owner of an '89 930 3.4 with a Ruf BTR kit installed here in the US, so I feel somewhat qualified to respond.

There are two kinds of Ruf cars: 1) Those prepared by Ruf at their factory in Germany and 2) Ruf kits that are sold to car owners that are installed either by the owners' mechanic or by a Ruf mechanic if that's what the owner wants to do.

The North American sales rep for Ruf is Weissach in Canada.

The value of any modification is in the eye of the owner. There are plenty of owners who desire hp upgrades, and it boils down to what the individual owner wants. Most know of the name Ruf. Most choose not to spend the extra $$$ for Ruf.

Resale value: As mentioned above, it is not likely the seller of a modified car (Ruf or not) will be able to recoup the entire investment. When I sold mine, the buyer did not want the Ruf mods so he was not willing to pay what I thought was a fair price for them (I sold the car through consignment, so I was somewhat at the mercy of the consigning company).

I sold my '89 because two years ago I bought a '97 993tt and, after owning/driving two turbos for two years, my wife decided it was time for one of them to go.

Maintenance: The specs of the Ruf car (c/o %, timing, etc.) IS different from a stock 930. As long as you have those specs, your mechanic should be able to do all required maintenance and keep the car within Ruf specs. During the fours years I owned the '89, I never once had a Ruf mod (turbo, intercooler, cams, pistons, cylinders, etc.) repair. My repairs were mostly replacement of old belts, hoses, pulleys, fixing of oil leaks, brake rotors and pads, those kind of things.

As for wanting a turbo now, GO FOR IT! You'll never regret it. Get as much car as your wallet can afford. While I loved the '89 930, there is much to be said for the '97 993tt (starting with 8 more years of R&D). There are plenty of bargains out there. Now is the time as it is a buyers market out there.

Enjoy your search. Let us know as you make decisions along the way.

Dan
'97 993tt

Quick Reply: Are 89' Ruf turbos reliable and well worth their cost?