911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

More turbo plumbing help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:45 AM
ossie308
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More turbo plumbing help needed

Hi all, would like some help recreating the original stock plumbing on my 1982 930 (UK delivered). My car was modified by the PO with a boost controller etc. which I have now removed. Now trying to figure out where the following connections and pipes originally went:

1 - The 2 pipes on the right side of IC (looking from the back of car), one currently goes to the Aux Air Regulator located next to the IC (at least I think that's what it's called) but don't know where the smaller one goes?

2 - The small pipe connection on the left underside of the IC. Currently it is disconnected but does it go to the wastegate side connection? (Wastegate is stock 930).

3 - This connection, where should the other end of the pipe connect? (and is this device the deceleration valve?). Currently it connects to a T piece behind the manifold (see picture #5 below).

4 - These two connections, one electrical and the other vacuum, where should they go? I suspect the yellow vacuum line is not normally used and electrical may have been for connecting to a cold start distributor retard device?

5 - This T connection tucked down the back of the inlet manifold, where should the red pipe go to? Currently it loops around and connects to the deceleration valve in picture #3 above

6 - Finally where does the vent pipe at the top of Wastegate connect, or does it just vent to air?

Here's a top view of the engine with IC removed for reference.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by ossie308; 04-29-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 AM
ossie308
Advanced

WTF, 145 views and no replies????

Perhaps this photo of the crap removed from the car might generate some sympathy!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

This may help.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2016, 02:45 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

#1...yes, the larger fitting goes to the AAR. The smaller fitting is simply capped off with a rubber plug/hose clamp.

#2...yes, that line goes to the [side port of the] factory waste gate.

#3...yes, that is the deceleration valve. If I'm not mistaken, that small red vacuum line should go directly to the back side [toward firewall] of the throttle body.

#4...good question. Don't believe my car has that yellow plastic vacuum line. Where does it go...to an electronic boost controller? An aftermarket boost gauge? Not sure where that electrical connector goes to, either.

#5...reference #3 above, if I'm not mistaken, that red vacuum line from the decel valve should go directly [no T] to the back side of the throttle body.

#6...pretty sure the metal line from the top port of the factory waste gate connects to a hose that goes through the engine tin and then vents to atmosphere.

Keep us in the loop. Happy motoring...
Old 05-10-2016, 02:16 AM
ossie308
Advanced

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
This may help.
Thanks, yes it does.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 AM
ossie308
Advanced

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
#1...yes, the larger fitting goes to the AAR. The smaller fitting is simply capped off with a rubber plug/hose clamp.

#2...yes, that line goes to the [side port of the] factory waste gate.

#3...yes, that is the deceleration valve. If I'm not mistaken, that small red vacuum line should go directly to the back side [toward firewall] of the throttle body.

#4...good question. Don't believe my car has that yellow plastic vacuum line. Where does it go...to an electronic boost controller? An aftermarket boost gauge? Not sure where that electrical connector goes to, either.

#5...reference #3 above, if I'm not mistaken, that red vacuum line from the decel valve should go directly [no T] to the back side of the throttle body.

#6...pretty sure the metal line from the top port of the factory waste gate connects to a hose that goes through the engine tin and then vents to atmosphere.

Keep us in the loop. Happy motoring...
Thanks heaps, very helpful. In answer to your question yes that yellow line was going to an after market boost gauge.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ossie308
In answer to your question yes that yellow line was going to an after market boost gauge.
Makes sense.

Is it possible that questionable electrical connector was providing power to the aftermarket boost gauge?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 AM
ossie308
Advanced

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Makes sense.

Is it possible that questionable electrical connector was providing power to the aftermarket boost gauge?
No it wasn't connected to anything. I suspect it should be connected to a device that works with the distributor for cold start (sorry can't remember what that is called now)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:59 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Well, along that line of thinking, that connector would be in the correct vicinity.

There should be a cold start valve, 930.606.107.01, mounted to the back side [fire wall] of the intake plenum, center line, just below the throttle body. Check to see if the CSV is still there.

Quick Reply: More turbo plumbing help needed