911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Hagerty lastest Values

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 PM
herragge
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Good points for sure. The 930's are in new territory, with the only way up for now...way up I would guess. As with all collector cars, it comes down to supply and demand. Panorama has more 930 ads in the latest edition than I have ever seen. These will sort out as all other collector cars have done in the past...from rare Ferrari's to one off hemi Cudas. Quality, rarity and originality will rise to the top, while others will plateau early. It was only a few years ago that you could not sell a 930 for $30K. The rise has been amazing over the last 18 months. The big question is whether you are in it to sell at the plateau (whenever that is) or keep it and enjoy it. I loved my 930 and it was one of the most unique cars I have owned. I moved on, but if I still had it, I would be driving it. Again, it is a fun time and watching what happens will be very interesting. In the meantime, we should all enjoy where we are at in this incredible market for all Porsches. The market has finally figured it out.
I agree with you here. 930's have gone up and so have air cooled Porsche's. Lets just enjoy the ride! Literally and figuratively.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM
peanuts252
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to be a continued bubble, but the expansion is slowing down. I completely agree with other commenters though, the days of $50K 930s are far behind us. That said, I think the market will stabilize back down to lower prices for '79 and on, excellent grade probably coming down by $75K. Those early 930s will continue to hold value amazingly, as they should.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Handy930
Racer

The 83 930 (lot 1403) went for $93,500 on Saturday at the Barrett Jackson. Were the side vents offered in European models in 83 or was this car modified?

Last edited by Handy930; 02-02-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 AM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Handy930
The 83 930 (lot 1403) went for $93,500 on Saturday at the Barrett Jackson. Were the side vents offered in European models in 83 or was this car modified?
Side fender vents were added. Always helps to see a short description of the source of work on major changes like this.

Last edited by Porsche 930; 02-03-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Handy930
Racer

My calculation of the net amount to the seller is $78,700 less the entry and transportation expense. I used 10% buyer fee that is included in the hammer price less 8% seller fee. This still makes the sales price to the buyer $93,500, but
a significant difference to the seller. Am I correct on this?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:36 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So which is the real reality?

You see porsche valuation sites saying a beater 930 parts car is $100k. Yet people can't sell nice ones on here and other sites for less than that.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:44 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I sold my 2 930's last year. 1 a 22k mile coupe. The other a 68k mile 505 slant. I cannot see how this market is sustainable at all. Of course I could be wrong but now every car is a collector car no matter how old or new, how many were made, etc. I know several people who couldn't care less about cars 2 years ago who now are leveraged on multiple "collector" cars. It's kind of idiotic by now in my opinion. For the money people are asking you can all have these cars because quite frankly, they aren't THAT great. Getting blown away by a granny in a Honda Accord in your awesome quarter million dollar 930 is lame.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bmwtmx has a good point. Being kinda back on the market for a slant I can tell you the market is slowing. Cars that were 170 last yr are in the 120s, 100k cars are in the 80s. I think you're seeing a 15-20% correction. Of course this doesn't apply to the early cars and pristine slants. Atlas has shrugged, IMO.
The problem is they made so many of these cars, they traded way under their value then being picked up by folks who maintained and modded them on the cheap, because they were cheap. All the "good cars", ie the high value early cars et al, were bought early and are sitting in collections. A lot of junk hit the market that needed expensive fixes, leaving a bitter taste in the buyer, this stimulates a correction. They are cool cars, especially if your handy, but they can be very expensive to fix. I'd love to ad another, but never to replace my 600hp 997tt, they're just too slow. Jmo guys
Old 03-26-2016, 10:41 AM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I sold my 2 930's last year. 1 a 22k mile coupe. The other a 68k mile 505 slant. I cannot see how this market is sustainable at all. Of course I could be wrong but now every car is a collector car no matter how old or new, how many were made, etc. I know several people who couldn't care less about cars 2 years ago who now are leveraged on multiple "collector" cars. It's kind of idiotic by now in my opinion. For the money people are asking you can all have these cars because quite frankly, they aren't THAT great. Getting blown away by a granny in a Honda Accord in your awesome quarter million dollar 930 is lame.
LOL…it’s always the 930 that gets picked on with the Honda Accord comparison. Why not the Carrera RS 2.7, Lamborghini Countach/Miura or Shelby Cobra? Somehow that is forbidden but the 930 is fair game. As for the Ferrari 308/328, probably better to use a Honda Civic comparison.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:04 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

There is no doubt that modern cars offer more performance, safety comfort etc. If you're not into the vintage car experience that's fine- none of them are that great compared to anything modern- driven a speedster lately. I'd feel ok running some granny in her accord but I'm not sure I'd want to race my wife in her Macan.

Phil
Old 03-26-2016, 06:42 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

People want 930s for the big-*** fenders and tail as much or more than the performance. That said, the performance for its day was world-class which is all you can compare it to. Same reason people buy a Countach -- for the styling, even though the inherent design and practicality is an abortion. If you're like me, you grew up with five posters on your wall: a Countach, a 930, a 959, a F40, and a Testarossa. The 80s excessive outrageousness is the attraction. Im sure the market will level off or even correct a bit. But it will eventually accelerate again. The sound barrier so to speak is when the used cars break through their original MSRP. These have done that and are never likely to fall below it again.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:27 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

My issue is not with the 930 itself but rather the entire collector car market. Have you seen the price on a low mileage E36 or E46 M3 these days? All 1980's and later Ferrari's were unloved and unwanted (with the exception of a few that deserved to be recognized) until about a year ago and now they are through the roof. This is the muscle car bubble all over again except this time the cars are from our youth. Trust me. I love these cars as much as anyone here (I've owned too many to list) but the values are not sustainable across the board. I see more and more cars for sale and nothing is selling these days. I mean do a search on Autotrader for a Cayman GT4 and you will see over 10% of the allocation for sale over MSRP.

I come from a trading background and my favorite saying was: Bulls make money. Bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered. We are in the age of the pig.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
My issue is not with the 930 itself but rather the entire collector car market. Have you seen the price on a low mileage E36 or E46 M3 these days? .
Bought an 18,000 mile E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 in December. Kind of a two-fold angle. My portfolio wasn't doing squat b/c of the economy is awful, so I put it into iron on the supposition that these cars have bottomed and paying for the nicest most desirable one might also pay dividends down the road. I dont plan to sell it, but I prefer buying at the bottom and seeing my assets appreciate. I still think the E46 is about 3-5 more years away from generating some inertia, but I always wanted one of these cars and felt the time was right at this moment.

I look back at buying the 930 in 2003 and didnt buy it as an investment either. But I felt it had *something* going for it that would be long-term advantageous. Maybe a hunch. But, I had always wanted one, saved up, and again, felt the prices had bottomed and wanted to get in at the right time. I hate overpaying for anything -- even Tic Tacs.

I've mentioned two cases where I think I've timed it well. Let's not discuss the other cases when I didn't -- including the time in 2010 when I refused to basically do an even-swap for my 65,000 mile '86 944 Turbo with a '89 E30 M3 with the same miles. At the time, why would anyone swap cars for a much slower one. I'm kicking myself to the tune of about $30,000 in appreciation now. Ugh!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM
rushfan82
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What about restored 930s?

I understand originality is highly prized, but what about 930s that have been completely restored? Just curious to see what the group thinks about how completely restoring a 930 (1976-1979/80) back to original condition would affect the overall value.

Also, what if the restoration is "concours-level quality" but you don't use OEM parts for some items needing replacing, e.g., you upgrade the A/C unit.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDPride
People want 930s for the big-*** fenders and tail as much or more than the performance. That said, the performance for its day was world-class which is all you can compare it to. Same reason people buy a Countach -- for the styling, even though the inherent design and practicality is an abortion. If you're like me, you grew up with five posters on your wall: a Countach, a 930, a 959, a F40, and a Testarossa. The 80s excessive outrageousness is the attraction. Im sure the market will level off or even correct a bit. But it will eventually accelerate again. The sound barrier so to speak is when the used cars break through their original MSRP. These have done that and are never likely to fall below it again.
Don't forget that Farah Fawcett poster....

Quick Reply: Hagerty lastest Values