911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ignition Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition Replacement

I've been having issues with my ignition switch for some time, some of the issues observed:

Windshield wipers intermittently turning on and off
Fuel pumps not energized while the key was in the run position
Engine not turning off after the key turned to the off position
Mechanical tumbler not allowing the key to turn

I replaced the electrical portion first with no success. I finally ordered a new mechanical & electrical unit and replaced it this morning and it appears that I've resolved all issues. I'd rather not have two keys (door locks & ignition), but not a big deal and I'm not considering rekeying the door lock to match at this time.

I found a couple of vendors selling the unit with pricing ranging from $750-$950 ... I purchased a unit on Amazon and it arrived in a Porsche box, so it apears to be an OEM unit. I do think the unit was for a 964 based on part number in casting.

Hopefully it will last another 30 years, either way I'll be taking a dirt nap by then.

Regards, Dave

Last edited by Dave 86 930 Fl; 08-15-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
I'd rather not have two keys (door locks & ignition), but not a big deal and I'm not considering rekeying the door lock to match at this time.
Re-keying the door locks to match your ignition key is not a huge project. I did mine moons ago, with the gracious contribution of a fellow Pelicanite who sent me his collection of tumbler pins so I could pick and choose what was needed to match my key...and send back what wasn't used. Wish I could help, but alas....I don't have any spares anymore.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Re-keying the door locks to match your ignition key is not a huge project. I did mine moons ago, with the gracious contribution of a fellow Pelicanite who sent me his collection of tumbler pins so I could pick and choose what was needed to match my key...and send back what wasn't used. Wish I could help, but alas....I don't have any spares anymore.
Mark,

Thanks, can I remove my door locks and take them to a locksmith for rekeying or do I need to take to Porsche dealership?

Regards, Dave
Old 08-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Mark,

Thanks, can I remove my door locks and take them to a locksmith for rekeying or do I need to take to Porsche dealership?

Regards, Dave
Locksmith, I'm sure. I'm just a cheap *** do-it-yourself kind of person. There is nothing Porsche-magical about the door locks. The last thing I would do would be to take them to a stealership.....you would pay more just walking in the front door than a competent locksmith would charge.

Quick Reply: Ignition Replacement