Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Has the pricey bubble burst on air cooled 911 turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Or if you sold early like me
TT, you can always come and drive the one you helped me buy...thank you...thank you...thank you!
(I am just a privateer enthusiast, but it seems like the market has cooled off...up to 2-3mo ago every clunker was selling at a premium but not anymore...just my observation)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:21 PM
car crazed
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a new member-this is my first post,so please bear with me. I have owned an '88 Turbo cabriolet since 1997.It is an original unmodified car,having it's original black paint and black convertible top.I bought the car because I liked it,not having any concern with it's future value or appreciation.I could not help ,as other Turbo owners have,seeing Turbos advertised through the years from the $30k to the,sometimes,$50k range.I have wondered how a car like the Porsche 911 Turbo,that "ticks all the right boxes" (limited production,great looking,high performance with a racing background,coveted when new) would have such a low value.Undervalued,in my opinion.The confluence of Quantitative Easing,the "coming of age" (economically) of those who coveted the car in their youth,along with stratospheric auction prices of 60's Ferrari's,have pushed prices of our Turbo's to meteoric levels.The big question is-where will they settle?.But,IMHO,the 911 Turbo has been significantly undervalued for a long time.Maybe,just maybe,the car is "coming of age" as well...Thank you
Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Two comments on thread:
If US spec '76's came with anything but 15" wheels with CN36s, I've yet to see an instance. In fact this is the detail most often 'incorrect' even with great original cars. 185/205 15's look impossibly skimpy on a turbo, so everyone goes to 16s. (plus the 205 CN36s are NLA) My solution was RSR 15" 8/9" wheels mounted with Michelin treaded racing tires, which preserves original wheel diam with a 'period' tire pattern.

Secondly on insurance: Insuring a $10-20M car is a whole different ballgame for insurers since except for theft, there is no such thing as a total loss on a car that valuable since a new car can be built around the chassis number. It has happened many times. Yes there is now a complicated story to tell the next owner, but time heals all wounds...
Old 09-19-2015, 11:02 PM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Two comments on thread:
If US spec '76's came with anything but 15" wheels with CN36s, I've yet to see an instance. In fact this is the detail most often 'incorrect' even with great original cars. 185/205 15's look impossibly skimpy on a turbo, so everyone goes to 16s. (plus the 205 CN36s are NLA) My solution was RSR 15" 8/9" wheels mounted with Michelin treaded racing tires, which preserves original wheel diam with a 'period' tire pattern.
U.S. '76 Turbo Carreras were also equipped with Dunlop tires in addition to CN36s but were the same 205 and 185 on 15 inch rim. For RoW, you could order Pirelli P7s but still on 15 inch Fuchs with a different speedometer and gearbox.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Mistergee
Advanced

Lightbulb

Ill add my two cents,
I think that the 75,76,77 ROW cars are the ultimate 930(930/52) as they came without thermal reactors, but with revised wastegate , fuel injection, revised timing etc, 260hp as opposed to 245hp for the states, They were the cars built for homogalation with racing in mind For Porsche to compete, it wasn't until they realised their popularity that they started to build them with the general public in mind, Then we all know the 911sc came along along with the 1978 930(930/53) with assisted brakes etc
Some argue the 77 year being the most desirable of the 3litres as it is the only year in the lineup that came with a factory boost guage of 1.5 Bar in the dash,(good for bragging rights, My Boost guage is bigger than !),
introduction of bigger wheels, it was at the end of 1977 that Porsche changed the timing chain covers, and valve covers back to Aluminum Silicone that the previous ten years missed out on, The factory ROW Euro Exhaust system is also the bees knees for modifying the turbo engine without worrying about breathability, also in the final few of cars built in 1977 the Whaletail and also the larger 917 type brakes was introduced and not start of 1978 as most think.
Believe it or not, the Hand throttle can also still be found on these cars , and also Heated side mirrors and Electric drivers seat,
I think the reason for the mismatched model parts finding their way into the 1977 cars is because Porsche had cars left to make for 1977 and the parts bin (so to speak) were taking stock of the new 1978 parts so there were more than a few (hybrid?) cars made, All the previous parts needed to go with the last of the 77 cars..
there are 1977 cars with 917 brakes, whaletail, 3.0 short stroke motor, no sunroof, no aircon, claimed minimum of 260hp, (note with all of the model 911 lineup there is as much as a ten 10% increase of actual horsepower on finished cars, at qa if a car did not make the factory claim when dynoed the engine was not used in that car, so Porsche being Porsche they erred on the side of putting in more and being conservative with their figures,
Also a compression ratio of 6:5.1 on these early 3.0 engines were made to last, ive never heard of a 3.0 930 detonating in stock configuration.

small print...I own a 77
Old 12-15-2015, 02:38 AM
ericjroy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the verdic on the headlight bezels on the '77 Sloan car. I did a Google search, and a lot of '77 have them. Magnus Walker's '77 has them FWIW. Also, what's a fair price on the '77 Sloan car? I think he's asking $300K
Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 AM
randkin
4th Gear

I am new to posting but I have some knowledge since I have owned my 1977 Turbo Carrera since June 1979 when I purchased it from the origional owner with 1,900 miles on the clock and was bone stock at that time. It did not come with those headlights I believe those came on the later 3.2 Liter cars but it did come with 205 and 185 on 15 inch rims with Pirelli P7s.

Currently I am having some engine and A/C work on the car and am looking for an ambient interior air sensor (behind the rear view mirror) which was lost or misplaced when I had the exterior and some of the interior restored. I have tried Porsche Dealer/factory, Pelican Parts and LA Auto Dismantlers without success. Any one have ideas where to go for the part?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by randkin
I am new to posting but I have some knowledge since I have owned my 1977 Turbo Carrera since June 1979 when I purchased it from the origional owner with 1,900 miles on the clock and was bone stock at that time. It did not come with those headlights I believe those came on the later 3.2 Liter cars but it did come with 205 and 185 on 15 inch rims with Pirelli P7s.

Currently I am having some engine and A/C work on the car and am looking for an ambient interior air sensor (behind the rear view mirror) which was lost or misplaced when I had the exterior and some of the interior restored. I have tried Porsche Dealer/factory, Pelican Parts and LA Auto Dismantlers without success. Any one have ideas where to go for the part?
I am not 100% sure this is the part you need but I believe the part number is 91165910501 and 91157123501 which holds it in place. Unfortunately it shows up as discontinued parts

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...he/91165910501
Old 12-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep those part number's are definitely NLA from Porsche. Gonna have to find used or NOS from somewhere.

-Jason
Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 PM
randkin
4th Gear

Anthony and Jason,
Thank you both for your information on the Temp Sensor and bracket. I think I only need the sensor as the rubber bracket that holds it in place died with age. I had a metal part machined to look like the rubber part and anodized black. Looks great but non functional w/o sensor. I guess I will just have to find a used sensor. Not sure about the term NOS? The dealer doing the engine work could not find from the factory, evidently automatic A/C was not an option on many cars in '77 Porsches.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

full disclosure: i do not own a Turbo, i own a normally aspirated 1987 911 Coupe. my interest is in comments from this and other forums re: new 911's will be 3.0 liter flat six Turbos and Cayman's and Boxsters will go 4 cylinder... what effect will that have on "old school" 911's... i think it will delay the bursting of the bubble.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Try Brian at Einmalig. He came to my rescue a few times when I was taking mine back to stock. http://www.einmalig.com/ in Huntington Beach or DC Automotive
Old 12-17-2015, 04:43 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Anthony and Jason,
Thank you both for your information on the Temp Sensor and bracket. I think I only need the sensor as the rubber bracket that holds it in place died with age. I had a metal part machined to look like the rubber part and anodized black. Looks great but non functional w/o sensor. I guess I will just have to find a used sensor. Not sure about the term NOS? The dealer doing the engine work could not find from the factory, evidently automatic A/C was not an option on many cars in '77 Porsches.
You can also try Stoddard and Porsche Classic.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-US...dWKqCo&vxp=mtr

NOS means "new old stock"
Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM
randkin
4th Gear

Mussberger - Thanks for the tip. Brian thinks he may have one but could not locate it when I called and will get back to me. If not Wpozzz suggested Stoddard and Porsche Classic to check out. I really prefer to get a NOS electrical part rather than a used part, seems like a better chance it will really work. The Ebay parts are used and a fall back position. Thanks to all for the help I have been working on this for sometime obviously going to the wrong places as everyone tells me it is no longer manufactured by Porsche which of coarse I already knew. I wonder who originally made the part (Bosch?) and if that would be an alternative if I can't find it in the US.

Quick Reply: Has the pricey bubble burst on air cooled 911 turbos?