Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Has the pricey bubble burst on air cooled 911 turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cityguy
And the first USA 911 Turbos were in 1986.
Incorrect.

First US-spec 911 turbo was MY '76.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

No bubble...prices may have gone up rapidly in the past few years unexpectedly..especially for early models but imo waiting for a bubble to burst is a waste of time. Some not so great ones have probably slipped through the cracks but the days of $25k Turbos are over. That's not to say that one can never be had at that price but I wouldn't hold my breath. Back in 2011 a mint example of an 86 Turbo was about $45-55K all day long. Today a mint example would be closer to $100k(if not more). Your drivers are at about $50k and above. Where as a driver used to be $25k. A bubble bursting would insinuate that the cost would go back to to the prices of 4+ years ago..that at the current moment is not the case.

Last edited by speednme; 07-08-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM
cityguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Incorrect.

First US-spec 911 turbo was MY '76.
Yes, I know but so many want to call it a '930'. Look at my 1976 above see the deck lid script - Turbo Carrera. No where does it say 930 but there are those that are intractable on this.

After the 1979 911 Turbo there were no 930 cars.

You are correct.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:30 PM
cityguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by speednme
...Today a mint example would be closer to $100k(if not more). Your drivers are at about $50k and above. Where as a driver used to be $25k. A bubble bursting would insinuate that the cost would go back to to the prices of 4+ years ago..that at the current moment is not the case.
Agreed. 100k perhaps a bit more for mint low mile but read my opening.

A year or so ago the asking and getting for the same was $150k.

Sloan cars has that same 60k mile car not pristine, not mint but nice and it is still at that $150 asking price so I would say the bursting back does not go to 4 years ago but it has burst as that 911 turbo sitting for over a year dictates the pricing is off - hence somewhat of a bubble burst from those high pricing days.

Better?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Agreed. 100k perhaps a bit more for mint low mile but read my opening.

A year or so ago the asking and getting for the same was $150k.

Sloan cars has that same 60k mile car not pristine, not mint but nice and it is still at that $150 asking price so I would say the bursting back does not go to 4 years ago but it has burst as that 911 turbo sitting for over a year dictates the pricing is off - hence somewhat of a bubble burst from those high pricing days.

Better?
Problem is Sloane is a bad example...Sloane would list a turd for $100k. His cars are way over value. Since most seem to be on consignment, he doesn't care have it on his site for years on end. He has nothing to lose and all to gain. He is not what I would call a pricing bechmark.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 PM
cityguy
Instructor

Problem is Sloane is a bad example...Sloane would list a turd for $100k.
Ouch!
He is not what I would call a pricing bechmark.
So what is your opinion of the value of the car he has (yes on consignment for a year) as I noted in the opening post?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:24 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Ouch!

So what is your opinion of the value of the car he has (yes on consignment for a year) as I noted in the opening post?
Is it safe to assume you're asking about the 89 Guards Red one? if so that is a very minty looking car(at least in pics). 89 was the only year for the 5 speed also it was the last year for the series. Mileage imo is not high at all. The problem that may plague this car (aside from the price) may be the color. Many feel Red is too flashy and common for a Porsche. I of course do not..I think it's perfect. Price wise I would say this car would be valued at $105-115k in today's market.

A good practice/research for valuation is Ebay. Look up Porsche 930(let's not get into that again..lol) and go to advance settings. Click on Completed listings. It will show what many cars ended at, what the final price was or if it just ended and the many times they relisted the car. It's a good tool..not the end all but it helps.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:36 PM
cityguy
Instructor

Is it safe to assume you're asking about the 89 Guards Red one? if so that is a very minty looking car(at least in pics). 89 was the only year for the 5 speed also it was the last year for the series. Mileage imo is not high at all. The problem that may plague this car (aside from the price) may be the color. Many feel Red is too flashy and common for a Porsche. I of course do not..I think it's perfect. Price wise I would say this car would be valued at $105-115k in today's market.

A good practice/research for valuation is Ebay. Look up Porsche 930(let's not get into that again..lol) and go to advance settings. Click on Completed listings. It will show what many cars ended at, what the final price was or if it just ended and the many times they relisted the car. It's a good tool..not the end all but it helps.
It is the one you think. Certainly 60k miles is not high but not low in the *collector* sense.

I have been told here ~80 is the money but your estimate is in that range. Just over or just under 100. $150,000 asking is just so yesterday or better yet last year's perceived value.

Thanks for the eBay advice on completed listings. That gives a much better feel for value than open listings.

(let's not get into that again..lol) Ya I think that subject was hashed enough.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Someone seems to be angry they sold something.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:59 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, I know but so many want to call it a '930'. Look at my 1976 above see the deck lid script - Turbo Carrera. No where does it say 930 but there are those that are intractable on this.

After the 1979 911 Turbo there were no 930 cars.

You are correct.
This is not correct, the turbo Carrera was a US only designation in 76-77, the ROW cars had turbo on rear decklid- all 75-79 VIN's started with 930.

Phil
Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
cityguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
This is not correct, the turbo Carrera was a US only designation in 76-77Phil
No argument there. Mine was a USA spec car. '930' appears no where but on the VIN, as 930xxxxxx .

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
the ROW cars had turbo on rear decklid- all 75-79 VIN's started with 930.

Phil
All 75-79 VINs started with 930. No argument there either. I have said that all along, elsewhere.

But you are going off track here. Hi-jacking the original question on late air cooled 911 Turbo value that currently has 'burst' and is going down from a high of 150 last year to perhaps a low of 80.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 PM
cityguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Someone seems to be angry they sold something.
Not me. I made 10k on it but imagine what I would have made if I had a place to store it.

It was outright scary to drive. No, not the oversteer but the when the boost came on from a stop one had better be pointing the front wheels straight because the boost would 'push' the front end straight in direction - ignoring and over coming any wheel turn input from the driver.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Not me. I made 10k on it but imagine what I would have made if I had a place to store it.

It was outright scary to drive. No, not the oversteer but the when the boost came on from a stop one had better be pointing the front wheels straight because the boost would 'push' the front end straight in direction - ignoring and over coming any wheel turn input from the driver.
I would say fun. I always thought of driving my dad's 930 on the track akin to guiding a motor boat. The 930 always seemed fun to throttle steer.

Your question is interesting. We have an MY 89 in Guards Red that my dad bought new. We would need to put the original tape deck back in the car, but otherwise, it is somewhere between what I think you guys are calling a "driver" and a "mint" car.

At some point I will take stewardship of that car. Need to figure out how to bump out the top of my Model A sized one-car so I can get a storage lift in there.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the best part, the on and off turbo boost!

-Jason
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
That is the best part, the on and off turbo boost!

-Jason
+1
Kind of like the rush you get on the downside, after the 6 Flags Coaster crests the Big Hill. These are special cars!

Quick Reply: Has the pricey bubble burst on air cooled 911 turbos?