Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
The color and mileage are right but the paintwork, non-USA car, and the few non-original bits will hurt. It took me a long time to sell mine with 22k miles. Personally, I think your car will be worth somewhere in the mid to high $60k's. You may try to consign it but the sale is tough. Very few people buy these cars from an owner unless it is priced right. The dealers are trusted.
I agree with you on the price range. Anywhere in the 60's and I'll be happy.

The first guy who contacted me about the sale was a dealer from London, so I don't think the non-USA car is an issue. These attract a lot of attention from the overseas collectors and have a very strong following, and I'd not be surprised if this ends up going back "home". The Euro cars are preferred for "repatriations".

Yes, I wish the car was 100% totally showroom stock, but it is what it is. There really aren't many out there that haven't had a few bits added over the years, and an upgraded turbo, stainless exhaust, and an aftermarket radio are forgivable sins and relatively minor. The re-painted front bumper is probably less than 10% of the paint on the car, which still makes it an "original paint" car in my opinion. But I agree, all these will reduce the price a from the 5-star condition price.

As for buying from an individual owner over a "trusted" dealer, I strongly disagree (and laughed). Give me a well-loved car that has been owned by a PCA member for years ANYDAY over a car that was bought & sold by a dealer who wants to make a fast buck. IMHO, the true enthusiasts are the ones who really know the idiosyncrasies and details of their cars, and take care of them properly. Of course, you always have to do your homework, but I've been hustled a few times by exotic dealers, but never by a guy who truly loved & babied his car.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be a buyer at $60,000
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1990ruf
I would be a buyer at $60,000
I'm hoping there's a few guys thinking that (and maybe a little more) who are bidding right now.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
As for buying from an individual owner over a "trusted" dealer, I strongly disagree (and laughed). Give me a well-loved car that has been owned by a PCA member for years ANYDAY over a car that was bought & sold by a dealer who wants to make a fast buck. IMHO, the true enthusiasts are the ones who really know the idiosyncrasies and details of their cars, and take care of them properly. Of course, you always have to do your homework, but I've been hustled a few times by exotic dealers, but never by a guy who truly loved & babied his car.
You and me both but that is not the way the world works. I had my car advertised for $95k here for a long time and got very little interest except 1 BS buyer who tied me up a little. I called Sloan and he told me he could get $120k-$130k all day long as his buyers trust his reputation for screening cars.. I have heard this countless times. Dealers with large client lists just sit on them cars until they get the price they want. And the proof is I sold my car for more than I had it advertised to a dealer.

Lots of these cars are shipped overseas which is why they are appreciating here so rapidly.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
musiker
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghosteh how does it work on EBay? Do you have a number you must reach or the sale is off? A reserve?
Or is it the one who bids highest gets it no matter what?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
You and me both but that is not the way the world works. I had my car advertised for $95k here for a long time and got very little interest except 1 BS buyer who tied me up a little. I called Sloan and he told me he could get $120k-$130k all day long as his buyers trust his reputation for screening cars.. I have heard this countless times. Dealers with large client lists just sit on them cars until they get the price they want. And the proof is I sold my car for more than I had it advertised to a dealer. Lots of these cars are shipped overseas which is why they are appreciating here so rapidly.
Did Sloan sell your car?
Apparently he does a lot of consignments. Nice to have the space and low working capital...
Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You have pm. Your car is worth much more than 60, a flipper will be flipping it within a day at 60.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

There were a few people trying to get me to end the auction early (offering $55-60K), but I said that we'd let it run. Good thing too, because the final price was $78,700. So now we know what a clean '85 Euro car is worth... at least in 2014.

Demand is still good for these cars. The #2 bidder emailed me & said he would take it if something happened to bidder #1, but I've already received the deposit and #1 is making arrangements to pick the car up.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:36 PM
musiker
Rennlist Member

Is it going to Europe or staying here?
Old 12-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by musiker
Ghosteh how does it work on EBay? Do you have a number you must reach or the sale is off? A reserve?
Or is it the one who bids highest gets it no matter what?
You can list your car with or without a reserve. Adding one just costs a few dollars. You can also start your beginning bid at whatever price you want.

So if you wanted to get at least $70K for your car, you could begin the auction at 70K and run it with no reserve, or (better) start it at a lower point to get some interest (say $35k) and put a reserve of $70K on it. The reserve amount is hidden, and bidders only see if that price has been met or not.

Seems like a lot of dealers put cars up with incredibly high reserves, in an effort to pump up the market. I'm not so sure that works, but when you see 4 cars on there at $120K+, it sure makes yours look like a good deal.

I put mine in at a low starting point, with no reserve. Maybe it was a little risky, but even if mine didn't sell for top dollar, I'd make money on it (I've had it for 8 years). But I think it brought the appropriate amount. Of course, next year, when the prices are $10-20K higher, I'll be back here crying.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by musiker
Is it going to Europe or staying here?
Not sure yet. I'll let you all know.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
musiker
Rennlist Member

But now it's time to celebrate! That's a lot of cash. Hope you don't miss it too much,
Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

So much for all the interweb pricing experts.

Very happy for you.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:14 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats to seller and buyer- ebay gets a bad rap but it's the perfect place to sell a car like this, lot's of exposure and not expensive to list. I've never had someone make a fair offer to end an auction early.
Phil
Old 12-07-2014, 01:01 PM
3.6conversion
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igooz
Did Sloan sell your car?
Apparently he does a lot of consignments. Nice to have the space and low working capital...
What % does Sloan get for a consignment?

Quick Reply: Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?