Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

five hunded horses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speedme has some very valuable points to consider. Kevin, if you're a recent owner of a 930, why not first enjoy her for what she was made to do stock and get accustomed to her, then start that slippery slope to increased performance? If you start approaching anything beyond 400hp, you are going to push the limit on fueling as well as putting stress on things that in and of themselves won't necessarily cause imminent failure but may shorted the life to the next rebuild. If your goal is to create a monster, then by all means go for it! But some really simple add-on's can get you close to 400 and not overly stress your engine.....and will wake up your 930 like you wouldn't believe.

On the topic of flywheels....some folks opt for the lighter aluminum flywheels for quicker throttle response, but with the low compression of these engines you actually need the mass of the stock FW to keep the inertial momentum needed. Combined with the tall gears and the turbo lag, many folks will tell you to stay with the stock FW. Now if you were to increase compression and maybe go with a 5 speed tranny, then a lighter FW might be the ticket.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:10 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Speedme has some very valuable points to consider. Kevin, if you're a recent owner of a 930, why not first enjoy her for what she was made to do stock and get accustomed to her, then start that slippery slope to increased performance? If you start approaching anything beyond 400hp, you are going to push the limit on fueling as well as putting stress on things that in and of themselves won't necessarily cause imminent failure but may shorted the life to the next rebuild. If your goal is to create a monster, then by all means go for it! But some really simple add-on's can get you close to 400 and not overly stress your engine.....and will wake up your 930 like you wouldn't believe.

On the topic of flywheels....some folks opt for the lighter aluminum flywheels for quicker throttle response, but with the low compression of these engines you actually need the mass of the stock FW to keep the inertial momentum needed. Combined with the tall gears and the turbo lag, many folks will tell you to stay with the stock FW. Now if you were to increase compression and maybe go with a 5 speed tranny, then a lighter FW might be the ticket.
I agree with Mark, it is a slippery slope to high HP. Getting to know the quarks of your 930 is key. I started with drivers skills days and DE events... then the HP bug hit and well the rest is history.. Start with some relatively easy and cheaper mods that can add nice horsepower. If you aren't able to do the work yourself make sure you have a really good shop that can guide you. Chasing HP is addictive and EXPENSIVE! Minor mods really wake up the the 930. Headers, Exhaust, intake and a K27 turbo could get your car some great HP out of the gate.

Also when you get high HP you will need supporting mods. Suspension (to help turbo squat and better control, Breaks... you might also want to get different gearing... it all adds up.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 PM
kevingen2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,that makes a lot of sence i had not relized thst it takes a heavy flywheel to keep it going.Thanks for the advice.I am now going to gear up to reinstall eng/trans...
Old 11-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kevingen2
Mark,that makes a lot of sence i had not relized thst it takes a heavy flywheel to keep it going.Thanks for the advice.I am now going to gear up to reinstall eng/trans...
Truth be known, I did shave off a little weight when I replaced the stock pressure plate with a KEP aluminum unit but kept the stock steel flywheel. Don't recall exactly, but I think it dropped 14 pounds. Worked just fine for me.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:12 PM
kevingen2
Intermediate

Did it help or hurt the performance?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Did it help or hurt the performance?
Well that's a tough one to answer with only seat-of-the-pants dyno action. It definitely did not hurt the performance. Once I started down that slippery HP slope, it wasn't too long before the stock clutch couldn't hold. I wanted a lighter PP and one that is rebuildable, and with more grip choices than stock. Thus....KEP.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:24 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Mark,

What kind of HP do you have?? Chasing HP is addictive!

Chris
Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HEAT'N'COOL
Mark,

What kind of HP do you have?? Chasing HP is addictive!

Chris
"Had" is the operative word, since she's literally toast following last January's house fire. I was running probably 360 to 370hp (given the modifications I had done....no dyno to confirm it though). Nothing monstrous, but way nicer than stock.

Got a long winter ahead of me once back in the house and able to tinker with my 'new' stock 930. Here we go again!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
"Had" is the operative word, since she's literally toast following last January's house fire. I was running probably 360 to 370hp (given the modifications I had done....no dyno to confirm it though). Nothing monstrous, but way nicer than stock.

Got a long winter ahead of me once back in the house and able to tinker with my 'new' stock 930. Here we go again!

Wow sorry to hear that Mark. Hope you get in your house soon! This winter will be a rewarding one when you get your build done.

What a slippery slope it is chasing HP...
Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM
kevingen2
Intermediate

Mark,we have alot in common i to had my house burn to the ground,do to alluminun wiring,actually it was my parents home.I was 13 when we lost everything,except for 3 walls left standing,i can still smell it to this day.Thanks for all youre input on my 930,i was thinking to have the stock fly wheel lightened??
Old 11-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Mark,we have alot in common i to had my house burn to the ground,do to alluminun wiring,actually it was my parents home.I was 13 when we lost everything,except for 3 walls left standing,i can still smell it to this day.Thanks for all youre input on my 930,i was thinking to have the stock fly wheel lightened??
Life throws some nasty curves at us sometimes. My tragedy was well covered over on Pelican, but at the risk of being accused of beating a dead horse, here is some eye candy for you!!! (still makes me lose my cookies everytime I look at these). This winter I hope to remove the motor and tranny, see if it's salvagable. Should take some eppic shots of the new 930 sharing garage space with the toasted.
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2014, 08:41 PM
kevingen2
Intermediate

Oh man that breaks my heart,brings back memories,do u think the shell can be saved
Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Oh man that breaks my heart,brings back memories,do u think the shell can be saved
Nope, the temper in the steel is surely gone. The fire got hot enough to melt the wheels. After removing the engine and tranny, maybe I'll have it crushed into a cube for a coffee table.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:41 PM
kevingen2
Intermediate

Dont due that,to bad you dont live in cali,i would love to try to bring her back,it wouldnt be perfect.

Quick Reply: five hunded horses?