911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Re-wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 AM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-wiring

Can anyone help me with any advise on a full re-wire?

I am fed up with patching up my butchered loom, most of the original loom has been hacked up and badly repaired with non-colour coded wires. Also most of the original connector bocks have been removed and replaced with spade connectors.

I have bought a 2nd hand loom from a 1988 car (mine is an 83) and am going to start fitting it soon.

Any hints or tips from anyone who has done a similar job would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a good auto electrician in the UK who they have experience of doing a good job as I may go down this route.

Just looking at the wiring and wondering where to start make me sweat!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:51 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the new (used) loom in one section or sections? Doing it section by section would be much easier and would help you compare the old vs. new, possibly making adjustments as needed since there might be changes?

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:34 AM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

The loom is in one section, I have visions of it being like wrestling an Anaconda!

The supplier suggested cutting the loom in half at the point it goes under the trim near the gearstick, however I want to try and keep it in one section.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:12 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BJJones
Hi

The loom is in one section, I have visions of it being like wrestling an Anaconda!

The supplier suggested cutting the loom in half at the point it goes under the trim near the gearstick, however I want to try and keep it in one section.
WOW! That's a lot of wire and if you're not sure they are the same, it would suck to pull the old one only to find it isn't the same.

If I were to cut it, I would do so in a place I could easily access it to reconnect it and repair it.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:40 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Wiring a Porsche is easy compared to the last car I rewired. In 1989, I had to install a new complete wiring harness in a BMW 750iL. The owner took it to a stereo stor to have a custom sound system installed and the stereo "technician" put a screw through the wiring harness. This caused an almost complete meltdown of most of the chassis wiring harness. It took me a solid week of 8 hour days to figure it out. Just be patient and if possible, find another 911/930 of the same era to compare it with.

Justin
80 930
91 C2T

Quick Reply: Re-wiring