Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'79 930 Purchase & Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 AM
rushfan82
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, good idea. Going to order a COA...no doubt will come in handy down the road.

Thanks for the advice not to screw up what could potentially be a rare find. This is exactly the reason I'm doing as much research as I can before I make a decision to press forward. I've only had the car for a few days so I have plenty of time to take it slow and make the best, informed decisions I can make.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 PM
rushfan82
Advanced

I've decided to keep the original color combo...light Ivory with brown trim. The colors are growing on me, and once I see it restored, I know I'm going to like it. I was able to run down some good photos on the net and the color combo is really nice, and like many of you said, rare.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Last edited by rushfan82; 04-01-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rushfan82
Shipping the car to CPR Classics in Fallbrook, CA in mid-April. Going to have them take a look and give me an estimate to restore. I've decided to keep the original color combo...light Ivory with brown trim.
Nice to hear! The only tidbit I'd add to the very good counsel you received (and heeded!): I have a '78 that was Paint-to-sample Pearl White, with good documentation on the PTS originality. However, the paint code on the tag was for Grand-Prix White, which is how the COA came back. GP White was apparently the base coat for Pearl. So documentation for special colors definitely is spotty.

I very much agree with others that this is a special and unusual color combination and it's great to hear you are sticking with it.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rushfan82
Shipping the car to CPR Classics in Fallbrook, CA in mid-April. Going to have them take a look and give me an estimate to restore. I've decided to keep the original color combo...light Ivory with brown trim. The colors are growing on me, and once I see it restored, I know I'm going to like it. I was able to run down some good photos on the net and the color combo is really nice, and like many of you said, rare.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
The cost to ship your Turbo round trip from San Antonio > SoCal > San Antonio .........It is cheaper, less time consuming and far less headache to fly Brian's estimator down to San Antonio for three hours to inspect the car in your garage .....AND you are right there during the estimate, NOT half way cross country on the other end of the phone.

Get two or three different shops to come to you and you cover their expenses & make it worth their while !

I have had shop reps come from SoCal & Colorado to Baltimore to give me estimates.

You ship your car there and it is usually assumed by any shop that the resto is a forgone conclusion and the estimate is merely a formality. If you were in SoCal, it would be a different story but I do not do it this way !

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

The Baron is giving sage advice...

Also, fwiw...if you choose to ship your car get a price quote from "8943post"...he is the 911forum sponsor and owns/runs/works for Intercity Truck lines and gives RL guys discount. He just hauled a 911 for me from Western Colorado to middle-of-nowhere Oregon to get restored.

Last edited by Igooz; 03-26-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 PM
rushfan82
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Baron
The cost to ship your Turbo round trip from San Antonio > SoCal > San Antonio .........It is cheaper, less time consuming and far less headache to fly Brian's estimator down to San Antonio for three hours to inspect the car in your garage .....AND you are right there during the estimate, NOT half way cross country on the other end of the phone.

Get two or three different shops to come to you and you cover their expenses & make it worth their while !

I have had shop reps come from SoCal & Colorado to Baltimore to give me estimates.

You ship your car there and it is usually assumed by any shop that the resto is a forgone conclusion and the estimate is merely a formality. If you were in SoCal, it would be a different story but I do not do it this way !

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your suggestion. I had never thought of that. I had planned to fly out to be there during the inspection, but if I can get them to come to me, that would be much better. I'll have to give this some serious consideration.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 PM
rushfan82
Advanced

Originally Posted by Igooz
The Baron is giving sage advice...

Also, fwiw...if you choose to ship your car get a price quote from "8943post"...he is the 911forum sponsor and owns/runs/works for Intercity Truck lines and gives RL guys discount. He just hauled a 911 for me from Western Colorado to middle-of-nowhere Oregon to get restored.
Appreciate the info. This forum is proving to be quite informative and helpful!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM
bfle21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad to see you aren't changing the color combo! That cars look is flat out bad as@@ (and rare)! Even though the brown interior looks a little late 70's/early 80's, I'm sure you will grow to love the look and originality. Ivory ext. is gorgeous! Even if you don't plan on selling it anytime soon, its always nice to see the appreciation grow! Check out hagerty.com for valuations on your car. Sure you will love it! I drove a 996 and 997S at a few DE events, and even though they are better all around cars with more hp, neither give you the feel or connection of a 930!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 AM
rushfan82
Advanced

Talking

Thanks! Yeah, I've come across some great pics on the web of ivory 930s and they look phenomenal. Mine is just so dull after sitting out in the sun for many years that it looks more faded yellow than ivory. Can't wait to have it repainted.

I think I will come to appreciate the brown leather interior. The seats are fantastic and beautiful in the chocolate brown.

Last edited by rushfan82; 06-23-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey rushfan82 check this guy out..looks like beautiful work http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...torations.html
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
rushfan82
Advanced

Been a while since I updated this thread, but wanted to give you guys an update on the restoration. I ended up sending it to Wes Monteith at Monteith Restoration and Performance in Lebanon, PA. Attached are some pictures of the reupholstered interior and gauges. The body is in the paint shop and the engine disassembled. More pics of that stuff to come when I get them. The exterior color will be Plantation White with Chocolate Brown interior. Some of the interior pictures appear lighter than the actual color. The picture of the single seat is the true color.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:33 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Car will be stunning when completed- who did leather work on interior, looks very nice.

Phil
Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 AM
rushfan82
Advanced

Default Leather work

Thanks...couldn't agree more. I can't wait to get it back. Autos Int'l in Escondido did the leather and Palo Alto Speedos refinished the gauges. Both did a top-notch job!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior parts look fantastic - that's going to be a great car when you're done. Any pictures of the body getting painted? I assumed they are stripping to bare metal? Any damage or corrosion found? Keep up the good work!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:14 AM
rushfan82
Advanced

Thanks. No pics of the body yet...still waiting on those from Wes. But yes, taking it down to bare metal and painting it the original PTS color, Plantation White, color code 179. It was a CA and TX car so it had minimal rust. It had been sitting outside for the last 15+ years so there was some surface rust here and there but nothing significant. Hopefully, I'll have some finished pics to post in the next couple months.

Quick Reply: '79 930 Purchase & Restoration