Crunching sounds from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 09:03 PM
jvaldora
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crunching sounds from rear end

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 1991 911 turbo last week, having a blast so far. A couple of concerns I had some questions about. When the car is cold, I back out of my drive turning the wheel hard to the right. The car makes a pretty horrific crunching sound which stops as soon as I push the clutch all the way in. It also seems to make the noise to a lesser extent when turning to the right again when cold. As the car warms up, the problem seems to lessen. Is it possible that this is caused by the limited slip differential as in some Chevy's I have owned? I've had the brakes checked they seem OK. Any insights would be appreciated. Great board from what I've seen.

Joe Valdora
Old 08-02-2003, 05:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Joe, it probably is your LSD - check the post in the 964 Turbo forum on using synthetic oil in the limited slip diff [synthetic or dino oil isn't actually the problem].

Your problem could be either that your LSD has the older style of plates and will always make a bit of noise, OR someone has filled the transmission with a non LSD spec oil. My Turbo 3.6 had that done to it during the 48k service [the first time they changed the transmission oil since new] and came right the minute they put LS 90 in.

Quick Reply: Crunching sounds from rear end