Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Moving with a 930 into California..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 02:23 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Post Moving with a 930 into California..

Because of my wife's new job, there is a possibility I might end up living in San Francisco [I think it's not such a bad place to own a 930 - what with all those race tracks, multiple Porsche clubs, warm climate, and all..]. The question is, what's involved in bringing my car with me?

I'm a Canadian living in Toronto. I have a Canadian 81 930 [which is basically a euro model imported by Porsche i.e. not grey market for Canada].

The car has all the usual modifications: K27, Kokeln Intercooler, ported/polished, GHL headers, minimal muffler, etc. With 150,000 Km on it, I am planning on having the engine rebuilt this winter with 3.4L cylinders, Carrera 3.2 manifold, Electromotive EFI, and probably 1 bar.

The car never had a Cat but it has had the air injection removed by a previous owner. I suspect if I needed to it would not be too tough to add a Cat after the Turbo.

My question is what exactly are the rules around importing a car like this into California? It would come with me when I go - if I go. i.e. I would not be importing it later.

I'm sure with a Cat and the EFI it would easily pass an emission test - even with the new ****ty gas. But, are there other rules in place that might make this more difficult for me? Is there an exemption for 20 year old cars? Or a special hot-rod clause? How does it work?

'Cause you know, without the car, I'm not goin'...
Old 11-08-2001, 01:34 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter, here's something from the 928 boards that was posted in regards to importing a car albeit from Europe. Maybe there's some helpful info in here.

K http://www.hcrpca.org/newsletter/200108/page11.html
Old 11-10-2001, 10:31 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how a gray-market import is treated, but if it were a normal U.S. legal car, nothing that might affect emmissions is allowed to be changed IN THEORY. A visual inspection is done as well as a tailpipe sniff test. BTW, don't be so sure you can pass the test by just adding a cat. My car, bought new in California with zero engine mods, will fail if the air filter element is just a little dirty. It's a tough test.

P.S. It's not often you hear the words "San Francisco" and "warm climate" in the same sentence.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:49 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, here in Ontario they say 930's just barely pass under ideal circumstances with a technician leaning over it. But I figure with a cat plus aftermarket engine management computer installed, it shoudl be quite clean. Substantially cleaner than when new anyway.

San Francisco has got to be warmer than Toronto. Everythings relative...

Here's are some shots from Mosport in October...

Then there's winter...
Old 11-11-2001, 09:34 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Good God man! What happened to a car cover?! Well I don't know if this will help but down in So Cal there is a "old Porsche friendly" smog test shop that us 928's go to. Most of us have a little difficulty getting our cars through due to new standards. At the very least you'll be able to do some 'testing' and see where you stand at least where emissions are concerned.

K
Old 11-12-2001, 02:08 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Actually there might be some slack cut or something, because 49 state cars are allowed to move here. The toughest nut to crack will probably be the U.S. regs on importing it.

That October picture looks mighty sunny compared to the typical drizzly San Fran fall. There is good news and bad news about the San Fran winter temps. The good news is that the temps in winter are the same as in the summer. The bad news is that the summer temps are the same as in the winter.

P.S. Actually there is no need to live in San Francisco. Thousands of people live in nicer areas and commute in to work.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:35 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Man, that sucks. Do you guys have garages, or do all the cars just sit outside?
Old 11-12-2001, 05:54 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Peter, if you adjust your 930 to run lean, I believe it will pass california emissions regardless of whether you still have your cat on. 911's run clean when lean. Of course we all run our 930's super-rich (my eyes water when I start it in the morning).
Old 11-12-2001, 05:57 PM
t.p.
Instructor

P.S.: It won't pass visual w/o the cat, but you could probably tell the guy you believe your heat exhangers are cats (he probably won't even ask-they don't see 911's too often and are probably too proud to disclose they can't confirm whether you've got one on).
Old 11-14-2001, 08:55 PM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Hi Pete:
I am also originally from TO, and have been living/working in SF for the past decade. Sure beats Toronto's short driving season for our nice cars. To answer your question, no, your 930 is not exempt for the CA smog test requirement. Pre 1972 cars are; I figure most leaded fuel cars are not going to pass the sniff test no matter how much they lean out the engine. I brought in a new 1990 Canadian Miata way back then and was required to get it inspected and registered for CA. I suspect that you'll just need a good local wrench to loan you a cat system for a inspection and registration. Give me a call when you get out here and I'll introduce you to the local Porsche shops. I think my wrench would be able to set you up for your registration. I'm close to finalizing my own purchase of a 930 too, so you can get me up to speed on these beasts.
Steve
Old 11-14-2001, 10:48 PM
ToyCollector
Intermediate

For whatever it is worth. I have a '88 930 and had to smog it in Ga without a cat. It ran real clean (50% of what it should be). this car is heavily modified (Full Andial treatment). I'd say do a baseline tune, and go from there. First step is get the car there, the rest is relationships and tuning.

I am one to ask for forgiveness, not permission. It never gets easier with all the bureaucrats.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:51 PM
ToyCollector
Intermediate

As an added note..find out what it the measurements need to be in CA, do a test in CN before bringing car there. The tester here in GA couldn't find the cat (or lack thereof) on my car. The wonders of a Prosche exhaust especially the turbos
Old 11-15-2001, 03:19 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Yeah, you could try that. Tune it until you think it'll pass the sniff test and get it smogged. If they don't pass you, you can always go put the stuff on and try again. The smog testers here are not a gummint agency, they are private shops that are licensed by the state.

They have recently gotten much tougher and wrote new regs. I had to get smogged in August, and with a new engine I had installed in May, it still took 2 tries to pass the sniff. They crawled all over it for the visual, even ran a mirror underneath. They even pressure-tested the gas cap.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:05 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Peter, I just noticed in your sig you're considering a rebuild. If you plan to have a shop do it, be advised that EVERYTHING in the SF bay area is more expensive than it should be. You would probably save some money having it done before you move down here.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:11 AM
Rick - '89 930
Intermediate

I got real heavy into the grey market back in ’85 when I imported a Renault R5 Turbo 2 from France. Lots of experience like hiding the car in a self-storage unit from custom until I got it grandfathered in on a technicality. If you want to get tricky, you could take your car and register it in another U.S. state that have less restrictive emissions regulations and then move it into California. I guessing sense you are Canadian you will have to put a cat on it as well as charcoal canister etc., but the requirements should be less restrictive, again due to the fact you are Canadian and not just importing the car. Remember, you will be exempt from the dot requirements, so EPA requirements maybe less as will. I would call a local department of motor vehicles and ask for the requirements.

Quick Reply: Moving with a 930 into California..