911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Gray market values

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fullquack
Well I see from idart930, that old dogs can learn new tricks. ......As a side note, I have a 1984 German addition owners manual, along with a 1984 American version of the manual, and Dang they do display different weights for the car, hummm.....must be a typo. Mark

Please do not keep us in suspense.
The '84 RoW vs US weights are.......?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sighhhhh...time to eat some crow.

I should know better than to try being a smart**s, while sitting at work remembering data off the top of my head. Seems that my old brain was remembering the turbo vs. the turbo "look" models, not the Euro vs. US models. That being said the '84 Turbo is listed at 2866lbs. vs. the '84 Turbo "look" listed at 2712lbs.

I'll go and quietly sit in the corner now.

Mark
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fullquack
I never knew that side impact bars & additional smog equipment are weightless, go figure....they must be made out of a special German metal. I wonder where I can find fenders made out of this material????
You have a good point about RoW and U.S. 930 weights as the U.S. cars should be heavier, at least for the ’76-79 930’s since they have thermal reactors and smog equipment (mystery why Porsche spec manuals list the same weight for RoW and U.S.). I'm not sure about the weight differences between RoW and U.S. doors as I've only read about hack job Euro conversions where side impact bars were added to meet U.S. DOT. The 930 became a world car in 1986, and although it was still built separately for RoW or U.S. markets, all of them had a catalyst exhaust so the major differences were H-4’s, taillights, etc. A significant weight difference between RoW and U.S. 930’s would be RoW 930’s without air conditioning (’76-’79) where the weight would be decreased by 35 kg (77 lbs) from the German DIN 70 020 standard. On rare occasion, Porsche used “Dry Weight” that did not include fuel (e.g., 1975 930 dry weight – 2397 lbs, vs. DIN 70 020 – 2514 lbs) but they usually listed German DIN Standard 70 020 for their spec manuals and brochures that included:

- Weight of the body with interior trim and the fuel tank
- Engine and gearbox weight will all necessary accessories, such as starter motor, generator and exhaust system, etc.
- Weight of the chassis
- Optional equipment such as air-conditioning system, sun roof, etc.
- Charged battery
- Lubricant, coolant and brake fluid
- Standard tool set
- Fuel tank at least 90% full
- Jack and spare wheel

Here’s the DIN 70 020 weights for 930’s (coupes)*
1975………….1140kg (2514 lbs)
1976-1977…1195kg (2634 lbs)
1978-1985…1300kg (2866 lbs)
1986-1988…1335kg (2943 lbs)
1989………….1350kg (2976 lbs)
*Porsche Technical Specification Manuals/Brochures – DIN curb weight

There should be significant weight saving between RoW and U.S. ’76-79 930’s if you were able to find a Euro car without A/C (77 lbs) and sunroof. All 930’s had A/C beginning in 1986 so there should not be much weight difference between ’86-89 Row and U.S. 930’s. I’m not sure how much weight savings there would be for a non-optioned sunroof car (more likely with RoW) but it may be a 10-20 lbs weight saving.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rsnodgrass
Condition, mileage, and documentation being equal I would pay at least a 10% **PREMIUM** for a largely original Euro-spec or gray market car. These were better cars from the factory, more horsepower, and the way Porsche intended them to be built. As the market for 930s increases it will become a global market where cars move around between continents more than they do now. That will cause stabilization of Euro vs US prices and I think you'll see an inversion of the pricing, much like you've seen an inversion this last year of "original" 930s being worth considerably more than modified (which used to not be the case). And a similar price inversion with 3.0-liter 930s being worth more than later 3.3-liters (possibly excluding the 1978 which should be equal footing).

Last year I stopped by a local exotic car dealer in Chicago and mentioned that I was looking at possibly trading my '85 ROW for a newer Turbo. We talked a bit, but I changed my mind when the dealer (who was trying to broker the car with another dealer in some sort of 3-way trade) wanted me to ship my car to the West coast before I would be able to see his car in person. When I refused, the guy in California wanted to buy mine outright. I refused that too (I didn't like the guy's tactics at that point). Then the local Chicago dealer wanted to buy it, etc.

For the next 6 months, I was getting calls from 3-4 dealers I didn't even know, who wanted to purchase my car for buyers overseas. One who called was from an exotic dealership in France, who was really trying hard to make a deal. It was interesting, because the price I had in my mind was eventually met & exceeded in the offers, but by then, I just had a bitter taste in my mouth for dealing with these snake-oil salesmen and decided to keep the car.

So from personal experience, I'd say that the "grey-market price curse" doesn't really exist anymore. A clean, documented Euro car seems to be very desirable overseas, and there just aren't that many available.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM
tonypeoni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything your saying except one thing. There is a gray market and they pay more for gray market cars. We are at a point where a gray market 930 is worth more than a U.S. spec 930. They have to be brokered overseas but still it pays to sell your car back to the gray market.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC without A/C, sunroof, electric windows, passenger mirror, US smog stuff and with the smaller rear bumperettes = 118 lbs lighter. If I find my records to say anything differently I'll post correction.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Mistergee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

My Vin says 1050kg
which in Grey Market US talk thats about 2314.854 pounds

All US cars are Grey Market when your on the other side of the world LOL

Here in Australia
US, Japanese and UK cars are all grey here, we only pay good money for EURO ROW cars

US cars sell cheap here cos lower hp and often rust problems, theres especially bad rap for cars from California, theyre up to 40% cheaper so theres some good buys for people who cant afford a row.

UK also sell cheap here cos of rust problems
Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If people want to buy gray market cars with their fairy tale speedos more power to them.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:25 PM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistergee
My Vin says 1050kg
which in Grey Market US talk thats about 2314.854 pounds
The RoW trunk plates shows the premitted max load and premitted max axle load weights (front and rear) and not the DIN 070 020 weight. The Porsche specification books indicate the U.S. and RoW weigh the same but I'm sure there are some differences due to lack of door braces, lighter exhaust without thermals, etc. on RoW models.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
If people want to buy gray market cars with their fairy tale speedos more power to them.
Fairy tale odometers are an issue in ALL older Porsches. With a grey-market car, you just have a heads-up because you KNOW the speedo has been changed at some point.

Anyone who buys a low mileage car without properly & thoroughly evaluating the condition and judging it against the reported mileage and paper-trail, is a fool, regardless of it being a U.S. or ROW car. Just because you're buying a U.S. car, doesn't mean you're immune to a little fraud.

Quick Reply: Gray market values