911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Muffler Madness

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 06:06 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Muffler Madness

I just received my 1989 911T back from having a number of modifications, including GHL headers. I kept the stock muffler using a Cat bypass between the turbo and muffler. Is there anyone around here (Delaware and Chester Counties, PA) running a GHL or B&B muffler? I'd like to hear the sound before buying. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:51 AM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i too just put on GHL headers and Muffler. The sound is too quiet and i really have grown to NOT like it. I am gettin a new muffler made to sound like a B&B in the near future. The car sounds like a jet engine when you are on boost. Although it's definately quiet when the windows are shut, which is good for longer trips, I wanted a more crackly burbling sound. The GHL craftsmanship is great though. I think far supperior to BB. There is just too much baffling in the muffler.

andrew
Old 09-06-2001, 12:53 PM
Mark W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew,

Which GHL muffler do you have? I have the GHL on my '89 turbo and there's hardly any baffling. I don't think it could get any louder unless you used a straight pipe!

I looked inside the muffler from the turbo side when I installed it and there's hardly anything in it. The inlet pipe ends about 2/3 of the way in with a triangular notch cut out along the side of the pipe facing down. The exhaust side pipe us the same depth with the notch cut facing up. That's all that's inside the can!

GHL did say they have 2 versions, mine wich is essentually a 2 chamber and a quieter one with 3 chambers. They said they could convert mine if I wanted.

I may be interested in a trade, I'm looking to quiet mine down a bit.

Drop me a line and let's talk.

Use this email address: mwhatman@avaya.com

Quick Reply: Muffler Madness