Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Finally, I found and purchased a mint '89 turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 07:33 PM
Rick - '89 930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally, I found and purchased a mint '89 turbo!

After a yearlong + search and many trips across the country, I finally found my '89 turbo! 24k miles, 100% stock and perfect. Do I love my car or what! Question for you all, I would like to put a stainless steel muffler on it. Would you go single or dual outlets? I really don't want to cut out the right side valance to provide the extra outlet, but they really look great. So, what would you do?
Old 08-01-2001, 09:46 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Rick,

Congratulations on your "new" Turbo.

Must be a sweet ride with such low mileage. Post a few pictures when you have a chance.

Another thing to consider with the dual outlet is noise. How loud do you want it? And the looks is a personal preference, your call really. But personally I like the dual outlet look - very aggressive.

Sonny Vo
Old 08-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Rick,

Congrats on your find. My car is also an '89 but with 58k miles, every one of which was personally enjoyed by me (got it new). Its soon to return from a major upgrade rebuild, including among other things, stainless steel headers. I wanted to go with a performance muffler with dual outlets, but I kinda like the look of the stock tailpipes. Also, wanted to keep noise level reasonable. The compromise was to bypass the catalytic converter, which absorbs considerable sound, so the car should make a "throatier" rumble without pissing off the neighbors when I go to work at 6 AM. But...I haven't heard it yet.

Enjoy your car!

Old 08-02-2001, 09:34 AM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

I have a really clean 89 as well. 35,000 miles on it now. I am going single outlet on the muffler. i agree the dual looks mean, but i don't want to cut the valance or get another, cut that, and get it painted. My buddy has a 1980 930 that will smoke my car and he has a GHL dual muffler with 4 inch tips. It looks tough but is actually not very loud.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:54 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Rick - when I was looking for my 930, I test drove an 87 that had a dual outlet exhaust (it may have been a B&B system). Out of the 6 or so cars I test drove, that one definitely sounded the best - it was not loud, just powerful. I like the look as well, but have a nice single tip Mille Miglia exhaust on my car now.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:05 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like a proud new father - you need to post pictures and hand out the cigars!

Congratulations - let's see your "baby"
Old 08-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Mark W
Intermediate

Contrats in the '89. I too have an '89 but she's a driver, 110,000 miles and still going strong.

I have the GHL 3" single exhaust and I love it. The sound is loud but not obnoxious. They havfe a 3 chamber unit that is quieter if noise levels are a concern. You will have to make some changes, it's not a simple bolt on. First, you will have to remove the waste gate muffler. The GHL tailpipe turns back behind the turbo before it turns back to the rear so it will try to occupy the same space as the waste gate muffler. GHL sells a waste gate pipe but it won't fit with the factory headers so you are better off gettng one fabricated at a local muffler shop. You will also need to replace the muffler mounting bracket to the ROW non-cat version. Attached is a picture. It's part #930.111.154.06, number 11 on the picture.

Old 08-02-2001, 10:39 PM
Bob 87 930
AutoX

I have an 87 930 with the B&b muffler and the triflo header. The system is loud but it would not upset the neighbors if you are just idleing around the streets on the way to work. The noise become much more intense when you are on it and it is incredibly burbbelly (Loud) on hard deceleration.

This is my second summer I have been running around town this way. I have gotten nothing but compliments on the sound but I also do not do any performance driving around town.

The car is not exactly inconspicuos in red with this exhaust and gold BBS wheels so I choose to live in peace with the local law.

Go for the twin cut the vallence and enjoy.
If you do the work on this car you will never want another so the cut valance will make very little difference in any value. I have thought about getting a newer 993 but think the older style is the classic and don't feel badd modifying an 87. It would be highly unlikely that I would try the things I have tried with this 35 - 40k car with a newer 80-100k model. Call me frugle if you will but I am having a blast.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:41 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Personally, a single outlet looks more "Porsche" to me. Dual outlets look too "Camaro" for my tastes.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:01 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dual outlets look too "Camaro" for my tastes
Really - this looks like a Camaro?
Old 08-07-2001, 03:07 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Yes, very much so.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:27 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

JBH,

Dont listen to any of the chatter.

I am not sure... But I don't think "Pig" knows that our cars (C2T's) came factory w/ twin exit pipes.

Plus... He does not own a turbo yet (get on that Pig). And, if I recall correctly, he prefers the M3 in the background of your photo OVER your C2T. Wild.

As for "what looks better." I like single & I like dual. On my 1978 930 I had single, but when in search for more HP I went dual w/ it. Looking at both versions from that point of view (owning both that is) I would say that the dual (as RUF cars have them) looks very good if not better than the single.

Of course on a C2T, there is no other choice as they are all dual, but comparing a C2T to say a "normal" C2 911... The Dual C2T look wins hands down.

Camaro?

Camaro that.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:59 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Yup, E30 M3's are one of the most fun blast-around cars I've ever driven. I forget all about the stopwatch when I'm in one.

The 993 came with dual exhausts too, also reminded me of a Camaro. Or maybe a Firebird. Anyway, the original post was "Would YOU go single or dual outlets?", soliciting opinions. Which is all I did, saying "Dual outlets look too Camaro for MY tastes."

True, I do not have a 930 yet. I find them unexciting to drive, although I know they are very fast. But unless you're racing, enjoyment of the car is all that counts. Some added horsepower might change my tune, because I do like the way they look, with a single outlet, that is.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:03 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Pig, I didn't mean to say you couldn't have an opinion.

You have a sharp eye to spot that car in the background - The E30 M3 is indeed a great all around car, in fact many consider it the best out of the M3 series. For more info on the car see:
Special Interest Group
and
Unofficial M3 Web Page
But I digress...I still say, dual is cool.

Quick Reply: Finally, I found and purchased a mint '89 turbo!