Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 02:32 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Talking

Michele!

You keep Zcat in line! I love that.

By the way Zcat, your headers & K27, etc will yield you 370-380 HP @ the crank. I have done that exact pattern on a dyno, and its not "over 400" as Powerhaus quoted you (IMO- PH has always over rated their claims).

That is com'in from a guy who sometime back celebrated his 200th personal dyno run.

But hey... 370 is nothing to sneeze at. And who knows, maybe your power plant will eeek a tiny bit more then others. Go dyno it & find out, then you can talk the real numbers w/ us.

That would be great.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:37 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Michael - what is this world coming to - that's the problem with the internet - no privacy!

As for HP, although this is not my goal, I think the 1 Bar boost spring, the lightweight flywheel, and the cam timing adjustments will also add to overall performance. I think the 1 Bar boost can add 20-30 HP alone.

What does it cost to get a dyno test?
Old 08-09-2001, 09:04 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up

Now that is what I like to hear! "What does it cost to do a dyno run!" Very good Zcat3!

I love it when someone wants to know real HP & quit w/ the guessing game.

A dyno run these days consists of say 3 runs (base line run, and another run or so), and a dyno jet shop may charge $65+ to do this. Go to www.dynojet.com to find a shop near you. Good man Zcat.

As for your light flywheel & clutch pack, I took that into consideration, as that is what I have dynoed. But please note that the light clutch & flywheel do not add ANY horsepower. All that kit will do is ALLOW YOU TO USE the HP you have, not tie it up trying to move the mass of a stock 911 turbo clutch set up.

It will get you faster spool, and you will therefore FEEL like you have more HP, but you truly know, that it can't add HP.

I once did a back to back dyno jet run at .8 bar, then the only change was to reset at 1 bar... Results??? 23 HP at the wheels gained. BUT... That car had plenty of other mods, and therefore utilized the added boost rather well. Its not so simple as just saying "Boost spring = 20+ HP). But your own dyno run will show the way. Just remember, a dyno jet run will give you REAR WHEEL HP & TQ. You will DIVIDE that HP # by .85 to reach your CRANK HP. That allows for a 15% drivetrain loss. I have seen some previously mentioned tuners use 25% loss, but in a 911, that just is not the case. Stick with 15% loss OR LESS! You should see 315+ HP @ the rear wheels, that puts you at 370 crank HP. Nice power.

Now, while they are currently in the 3.3.., have them set your cams advanced so that you get a little better low end power. Heck, send those cams out and change the grind why don't ya (mods are never ending - I know, sorry Michele). For your set up I would recomend the SC330 grind (set at 1.9 advanced), or even just the base SC grind (set at 1.55 advanced). Stephen @ www.imagineauto.com can set you up.

Nevertheless, chances are you wont be over 400 HP at the crank w/o more stuff Zcat. Not that this is a bad thing, as I have always thought that about 390 HP crank is superb in a street driven 911 turbo. At that you get reliability & speed, now that's Porsche!

click here for your cams or performance goods
Old 08-10-2001, 05:08 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

O.K. - Michele is not too happy, but the SC cams are coming next week (I may never get the car back). There is a dyno shop near here, so I will maybe stop by after we get the car back. I just ordered straight SC cams from Webb Cam in Riverside, so I presume it will be a "normal" grind. What is the difference between a normal and an advanced grind?
Old 08-11-2001, 03:43 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zcat, check with the local PCA or watch the Audi and BMW forums for "dyno days". They'll give you a break on the price, and hopefully let your "foreign invader" car in. There's a shop in Mountain View (Dynospot Racing) and I think one in Fremont, and probably others too. Don't get discouraged if some lowly 2.7 liter Audi ends up making more hp than you, some of them are pretty serious about their cars.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:30 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Well we finally got the car back and it feels like a new car. It is hard to know what each upgrade contributes, but as a whole it is quite different. It drives much more like our 993 at the low end, which is great, and when you let the boost come on the power is awesome. The mods we made were:

Headers
Lightweight clutch/flywheel (the 3.0 Turbo setup)
Kokeln Intercooler
SC Cams
1 Bar waste gate
The car already has a K-27 7200 Turbo that was installed by the prior owner a few thousand miles back.

I drove the car for about 60 miles tonight, mostly on the SF Bay Area Autobahn (aka Highway 280). The low end is much more responsive, feels much closer to an N/A car, and the turbo starts to spool at very close to 2000 RPM (about 800 RPM faster than before). It is really nice to be cruising on the freeway in 4th gear at 70 or so with the car at 2400 rpm and to give it some gas and have the turbo come on right away.

I may get the car dynoed, but a seat of the pants feel is that it has 30% or so more power than before. I did a couple of rolling starts to full boost and it was a bit scary - the front end felt like it was going to leave the pavement. The throttle is so much more responsive - I think a lot of this is due to the light weight clutch set-up. Anyway, I want to thank Steve W for all the advice. I have attached a few pictures (hopefully they come through).

Old 08-30-2001, 01:49 PM
jbird
Track Day

ZCAT,
Your 930 looks very close in color to mine. Diamond Blue Metallic. What year is it?

Jim
Old 08-30-2001, 02:06 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Jim - it is an 86 European Car - which is nice as it sits a bit lower and has the Euro fuel system. It was purchased by a California person who had apparently done some work in Holland and brought to CA soon after. The car has 44K on it and is pretty pristine. The actual color is steingraumetallic - Stone Gray. It does look kind of blue in the picture though. I have seen a fe diamond blue cars for sale - very nice color.

After driving this car for 60 miles or so I have to wonder why Porsche didn't make them like this in the first place (I know the turbo and intercooler technology has improved). I definitely could not go back to a stock 930 at this point.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Question

Very nice. As far as the Kokeln intercooler do you notice a jerky feeling when you let go of the gas. I have heard it is very "snappy" when you let off the gas. I am debating going for on of them or the garrestson. I do like the fact that the kokeln updates the bypass valve setup though. You have a pic from the rear with the hood open?

thanks

andrew
Old 08-30-2001, 02:23 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Andrew - I e-mailed you a picture. I have not noticed any jerkiness when I let off the gas after boost, but I have not driven it enough at full boost to really be sure I won't ever see this. The car feels really smooth so far.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:45 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!! Good luck with the car
Old 08-31-2001, 01:27 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zcat, very nice! May I ask which shop did the work for you? For BMW's at least, finding a performance shop in the South Bay has been a challenge. Has the lightweight flywheel caused much in the way of drivability problems?

As a sidelight, they told me they sold that 87 with the sour engine you were looking at. Then it was back a week later. Guess the buyer found out when he got it home. :-)
Old 08-31-2001, 02:15 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Pig - we used CT Automotive in Campbell. Chris was the Technician that did the work - a good guy who takes a lot of pride in what he is doing. They appear to have done a great job. The engine is very clean and they did a lot of maintenance work on the engine while it was out of the car. The lightweight clutch/flywheel is much more drivable than before. Not only does our boost come on quicker now in terms of RPMs, but the RPMs spin up much faster (further speeding the boost in terms of time). The clutch feels very good. Have you driven a 993? The clutch feel and quick RPM build remind me much more of a 993.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:45 PM
Michele
8th Gear

OK... I take back all the bad things I said about ZCAT3 while our 930 was in the shop for 3 weeks. IT WAS WORTH IT!!! While it's hard to tell exactly what each mod contributes, as a whole, the car is now remarkably agile. The clutch generally feels lighter and easier/faster to engage (granted the old one was on its last legs, so it's hard to compare.)
Low end acceleration is smooth, and substantially more responsive. The turbo lag is almost nonexistent, but when it hits full boost, you better be holding on to the steering wheel tightly and make sure you have room in front of you! It is impossible not to smile while driving this car.
The folks at CT Automotive are a pleasure to deal with (it was kind of a second home for awhile)and they usually have 15-20 Porsches in various states of undress - fun to browse! Watch out if you spend any time on Highway 1 this weekend - I expect we'll be out giving the 930 a little workout.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:16 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a sidelight, they told me they sold that 87 with the sour engine you were looking at. Then it was back a week later. Guess the buyer found out when he got it home.

Is this a 930 that was sold? What was wrong with it?

Quick Reply: bolt-on performance mods?