Porsche 911 Turbo sitting for 20 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM
floridaguy1950
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 911 Turbo sitting for 20 years

Hello gents,

Bare with me here, I am new to this intranet technology, but I found Pelican through a search in the Google.
Anyways, in 1988 I purchased new a 1987 911 Turbo here in Miami. I drove it for a year or so, put about 15,000 miles on it, and unfortunately I had to go away for awhile, but since my recent return I am looking to get this car road worthy again. Needless to say, the car has not been started in over 20 years, and of course doesnt start now, the battery is dead. the tires are flat, and some rust corrosion has occurred. Not being overly experienced in the mechanics of these cars I was just curious as how to proceed with this, should I purchase a battery, and try to get this started on my own? or have it towed to the Porsche dealer, and have them bring it back to life.

Back when i bought the car, it was totally bitchin, amazingly fast, and incredible handling. At the time it was one of the great sports cars on the road. I can't belive how the times have changed, since my return i see all these new Porsches on the road, they seem so futuristic to me. To be honest I like the look of my car better.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:45 PM
AKA930
Instructor

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask, were you abducted by aliens? I don't see how else you can leave a perfectly running 930 alone for over 20 years!!! LOL.

Okay, on a serious note....I think you should take it in to a reliable independant shop, cause the dealer will take you to the cleaners! I think you're gonna have to go through your fuel tank, filters, senders, and all that stuff cause I'm sure it's all rusty in there. I've been there....

Let us know what progress you make on this project, tho! Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not well versed with these cars and a good mechanic / detective, you will bite off more than you want, if your try this on your own.

The fuel system is going to be the biggest issue, followed up by the corroded electrical system. I hope the car was not stored outside near the ocean there in Florida. Hope it was at least stored inside??

With the fuel system, you are going to need to go through it from the tank, all the way through to the injectors. This does not mean you will need to replace everything, just check and verify condition prior to putting fuel pressure to it all. Last thing that you want is a major leak & possible fire.

There are so many electrical relays in these cars, that simply do not like to sit for long periods. At least all the fuses & relays should be pulled, their contacts cleaned, then re-installed. New battery cables as well, when you replace the battery.

The engine needs at a bare minimum, to have the plugs removed and some spray lube shot down into each cylinder. Then new plugs, new distributor cap & rotor, complete oil change. Only then, should you even think about trying to turn the engine over, and then only by hand, NOT WITH THE STARTER MOTOR.

All those years, and nobody kept an eye on it, damn shame, cause now it's going to cost you to get her safely back on the road. Hell, just the fact that the tires are that old would scare the crap out of me. I wouldn't even bother putting air in them, just replace them straight away.

Mark
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
floridaguy1950
3rd Gear

Hey gents, thanks for the replies, to make a long story short, I was incarcerated since 1988 at Florida State prison in Bradford county.

The car was sitting in my brothers garage since than. Unfortunately no one took the time to start it up, and or drive it around.

I think i should just have the car towed to an independant shop, and have them go over the car. I just hope its salvagable.

Thank you.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 PM
CVDH
Racer

Wow, that's an incredible story, thanks for sharing. Would you be able to upload any pictures of the car? It might be helpful to see where the rust is.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by floridaguy1950
Hey gents, thanks for the replies, to make a long story short, I was incarcerated since 1988 at Florida State prison in Bradford county.

The car was sitting in my brothers garage since than. Unfortunately no one took the time to start it up, and or drive it around.

I think i should just have the car towed to an independant shop, and have them go over the car. I just hope its salvagable.

Thank you.
It should be salvagable. You can ask here for a good indy to work on your car, or you can ask your local PCA chapter to see who they recommend. DO NOT take it to the dealer.

At a minimum:

all new fluids and rubber hoses, esp brake lines
your brakes can probably be exercised to get them back in working order
might need a new gas tank, sending unit and fuel pump
clean electrical contacts
Any mold in the car?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
floridaguy1950
3rd Gear

No mold on the car that i can see.

I'll try to get some photos taken if I can get my hands on one of those digitalized cameras. Amazing how technology has changed since the 80's, I thought I was the man when i had a new vivtar camera back in 1986, now I see all these new cameras that look like you need an engineering degree to work them. Lots to learn about the world, but Im happy to be a free man.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

All the best to you on your newly found freedom, and it's great to see you've kept the love spark alive for your 930!

Your car is definitely salvageable. Thank God it was stored inside. I can't add to all the advise already given. Get her sorted out by an independent, invest what's needed to her get started and running like a top, and if you don't intend to keep it then you may find it will command a pretty good price with the low miles on it and you being the original and only owner. But you'll need to bring it back up to "almost new" condition befitting of a 15K mile car.

And oh....by the way....your statement "...but I found Pelican through a search in the Google"...friend, you've posted on Rennlist. Either/or, both sites are full of knowledge.

Good luck, get your hands on a digital camera (they're way cheaper than your old SLR Vivitar (I still have several of those languishing away in storage), and shoot some pictures for us to drool over.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:57 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
It should be salvagable. DO NOT take it to the dealer.
Will dealers work on air cooled Porsches? I have been told that our local one will not.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you hide any cash in it cuz you may need a bit of it to get her back to her former glory. Look up your local porsche club chapter and reach out to them for advise on a shop. Don't just take it anywhere. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck, welcome back.
I would take it to an indy, several good shops in Florida.
Try orbit racing

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 09-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by floridaguy1950
to make a long story short, I was incarcerated since 1988 at Florida State prison in Bradford county.
Well that explains why it wasnt driven! At least he has a good excuse. Better than "well I got married, had kids, lost track of time" mumbo jumbo where you walk by the car every day and choose not to drive it.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Its going to be a slippery slope you should just give it to me I will take care of the car for you. Just kidding take it to your local shop and have them look it over. Good Luck.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the head studs did not break... I had mine replaced with ones from Raceware, 1,000,000 mile warranty and reusable. This can be done via a leak down test. DON'T GO TO A PORSCHE DEALER! They will just try to sell you a new engine. Find a good independent Porsche only guy. The fuel lines will no doubt be clogged. There is a chemical solution to this that motorcycle enthusiasts use. PM me for the name as I have to ask my motorcycle mechanic the name. Within days, it should clear out the "fog".

As for rust, your car is made from galvanized steel, and had a 10 or 12 year warranty on that, so rust should be minimal.

Change the fuel filter, all fluids, and you may want to look into the engine seals as well. Check out the suspension and replace the bushings with polyurethane ones.

Unless I am mistaken (I had an '82) your car has a rubber part in it that should be looked at, as well as your motor mounts.

Soak all the leather in Lexol as this will make it more supple.

Have the A/C serviced.

No matter what, it will still be cheaper to get your car running than a new Honda.

*Also, just think of the performance enhancements you can upgrade with "while your going through the car".

Welcome back.

Last edited by 82_930; 10-15-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

there are about three top notch air cooled porsche guys in south florida pm me and i ll send you their info

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 Turbo sitting for 20 years