1986 930 smoking ALOT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 930 smoking ALOT!

hey guys,

new here and could really use some help.

I have an 1986 911 turbo (930) that is dumping loads and loads of white smoke out of the exhaust.. to the point the fire department came to my apartment cause they thought it was on fire.. It is also spitting oil out of the exhaust.

I know this is because of an oil overfill or at least that's what im praying for.

ive drained about 3 quarts of oil and got the oil level on the dip stick to be between the lines.. yes this time while the car was running. I will be taking the car on the freeway tonight around 2-3am so i wont have to deal with people on the road. hopefully this will burn up the remaining extra oil..

my question is.. do you think i am going down the right path with this or am i way off??

on another note..

my turbo was sounding great for awhile then out of no where it stoped building pressure and started making a swooping noise as it should hit boost.. and has now stopped spooling all together.. could this somehow be related?? ive been playing with my vacuum lines to see if there could be a leak.

This could make me lead to the portability of all the smoke not only being from the overfill but maybe the turbo has failed and the oil is just going straight through it..

let me know what you guys think so i can walk in the shop tomorrow and already have a plan in my head on what im going to say haha

Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Chris,

It sounds like your turbo is failing. You will continue to damage your turbo bearings. You may be able to rebuild your turbo, if not you will need to replace it. Nice time to think about an upgrade turbo . . . .
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

already had a k27 enhanced in it :/
Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

With 3 quarts overfilled you will have oil in the inlet piping to the turbo.

You need to remove this oil. Your turbo is eating the oil and pumping it back into the combustion chamber.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

I feel like the turbo has failed so it isnt spooling right now.. I think thats why theres oil spitting out of the exhaust
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like a turbo to me Chris. Like I said on the 911 forum I'm pretty sure the seals have failed and the bearings have probably seized prevent it from spinning. The oil's just getting pumped through the bad seals and it's burning which is all the smoke you're seeing. Since the oil isn't being returned to the oil system you just pumped the oil tank dry as you drove it.

Quick Reply: 1986 930 smoking ALOT!