Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

new owner/ upgrade question, help?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
zaidigonzo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner/ upgrade question, help?!

Got a nice "STOCK" 84 930 turbo
"stock" because on full boost the boost gauge goes all the way to 1. dont know if its supposed to stop at .8. The turbo/cat conv/ intercooler and so on look stock. Also brake calipers are red. Dont know if that is stock too or just painted by PO. I am thinking of getting a rarly8 header+single outlet exhaust, wastegate pipe system but would like to see about upgrading the intercooler and turbo to KOKELN set up.
My questions:
1. Will upgrading to KOKELN turbo and intercooler require messing with the CIS system at all or the ignition system or upgrading to larger injectors, fuel pump etc??? Or will this just be a bolt on upgrade? I dont want to mess with those cause the car runs perfect as it is but of course need more power......
2. I would also like to add the widest fusch repro wheels that will fit front and back(I love those wheels) but dont know if it will require changing anything else.....

Im not looking for crazy power like changing crank, cams, efi,twin plug drilling, etc etc. Just wanted to see if these things bolt on without confusing the cars stock electronics and stock fuel delivery system......

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am new to Porsche and its my first(wanted this car since I was in 9th grade...38 years old now...long wait!!
BTW I am in the new port richie area in FL(just north of Tampa) so if anyone is from around here and wants to help a newbie come on by. BEER and food on me for anyone who wants to help ....
Attached Images     
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM
s_morrison57
4th Gear

I have an 87 930 and I put on the RarlyL8 single out exhaust and it was a great Mod. terrific sound and made the car more driveable at lower RPM's, boost comes on earlier and smoother. My boost gague also goes to 1 bar and I just think its in the gague. I'm waiting for Brian to get some heat for his headers and when he does I will probably spring for those. I read on the Pellican forum about guys welding on a stock inter cooler on top of the one on there already and for a couple of hundred bucks got good perfromance, some guys posted pics and it looked pretty good, I'm planning on that as well, next spring I hope. I also did a sterring wheel swap to the 930S wheel and its a nice mod. as well
Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 AM
zaidigonzo
Track Day

Yeah. That steering wheel is nice. I think I NEED that too
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

For Fuchs reproduction wheels, you have 3 or 4 choices (obviously more if you're willing to go the non-Fuchs look).

Lindsey and TruDesign are two companies which take 16" Fuchs, cut out the centers, and then weld them up to new barrels. This gives a 17" diameter. You can custom specify the width and offset. The good: 17" Fuchs. The bad: you're using 20-30 year-old centers and the petals of the Fuchs are sized for a 16" application, not 17" (so if you're a stickler for cosmetics, you might have issues).

Zuffenhaus is newly making 17" 3-piece Fuchs replicas. The centers are forged. You can also specify custom widths and offsets. So you get all-new materials and proper petal dimensions. They have a very high attention to quality. The bad: they may be a couple months away from being production-ready, as they're still fulfilling their pre-production orders.

Blown Six has a replica multi-piece Fuch. That's all I know about them. I haven't heard a single person post on this board or Pelican if they've actually sold/seen any.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/?t=Wheels

Quick Reply: new owner/ upgrade question, help?!