911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Thoughts on this 930 for track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 930 for track car

Well, I took the plunge about 18 months ago on a really nice 930. More of an investment quality and driver. But I am looking for a dedicated track car to replace my 996. What do you think about this one? Do they make good track cars? Will the gearbox hold up? Anything I should be concerned about? The plan is to initially put the car on a strict diet and strip everything out I can. Eventually it will have a turbo, exhaust, safety and suspension upgrades.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150390708000&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:11 23
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That one seams too nice, too original.
You need to be looking for one that already has a lot of mods, getting a bone stock car like that up to a good HP level, suspension all sorted, stripped out with lightweight interior etc, is going to cost a lot, you need to be looking at a car that has already had the major money and time already spent!
Ideally for a track car you should be hunting for an engine that is already EFI, and a 5 speed box would be a bonus!
You'll be fine with well sorted CIS car, but if you can get a car that's already been converted. Hard track work needs good control of fuel, boost and ignition, it's achievable with CIS but EFI is where it's at
Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a nice car.

The 930 can be a lot of fun on the track. Just have to get used to that boost kicking in. They handle well, but with a little suspension work, can handle great. The 4 speed is a great trans and can hold up to the abuse, but don't speed shift. I've been tracking mine for 9 years now.

Depending on what kind of track time you are looking for, that will drive what kind of car you want. If you want to just do open track, DE's, lapping days, etc, then you don't have to worry about what you do to the car, BUT when it comes time to re-sell it, those mods might make it un-competitive and/or illegal in a class and you'll lose even more money. If you think you might get into racing, then watch what you do to the car so you don't have to go backwards when race time comes. Find your class and look at the rule books.

I've been running a CIS car (400 RWHP) for 9 years without any issues, but I would get an A/F meter installed to keep track of them.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I only mentioned the 5 speed as a perfect shopping list, i'm happy with my 4 speed box too! CIS is fine also, but for a track car you would be better suited with EFI, and if you have a choice as you do with cash in hand I would hunt for a car with a lot of work done. Check this out that sold not long ago, this was an ABSOLUTE bargain. Just proves they do come along now and again

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turb...-and-more.html
Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Umm i am selling my track ready 930...

www.porsche930forsale.com/
Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are good looking cars. Good luck with your sale cardsrule.

I agree that any mods you can buy on the car, you will be buying them for $.50 on the dollar. Good for you. Bad for the seller.

Oh by the way, get a PPI before purchasing the car.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Having had a turbo and now a non turbo, I think that the turbo car is not as much fun as my N/A car. The turbo, while fast in a straight line was not as much fun in the corners and was significantly slower around the track than my N/A car. I prefer the updated suspension of the 964/993 chassis which makes a large difference in the handling characteristics of the car. BTW, my turbo car was an 89 with a short gear 5spd, 700hp MoTeC, big brakes, etc, so it really represented the best of the best for a 930. The other consideration is wear and repair. The turbo engine compartment has more stuff in it and makes it more difficult to work on, the turbo adds maintenance costs, and is in general more expensive to run.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 930 for track car