Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my solution.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so after following this thread I decide to head out and have a look at my setup. My car hasn't been started in a couple of weeks and I'm on the phone with a friend who's a mechanic of sorts but not my P mechanic. While I'm on the phone with him I decide to start my car to hear it purr/roar and pop the hood to have a look at this vent pipe when all of a sudden I see a flood of fuel raining down from under the intake housing as if there's an open fuel line. I run like hell to shut it down but not befor a 4' diameter lake of fuel builds under my car. I **** bricks as the car is in my garage attached to my house with my family inside and my Ferrari right next to it. If it would have sparked I wouldn't have stood a chance in hell putting it out considering my garage door is wood and 40 years old only 3 feet above the hood. I've never been so close to loosing everything.
If it wasn't for this thread I'm sure the next time I started my car I would have followed standard procedure which is start the car and go inside while it warms up. KAABOOM!!!

Turns out the last guy to work on the fuel input line to the fuel distributor used the incorrect hose diameter and an inadequate crimp connector. Fuel was spraying like a garden hose. Holy F*^k!!

Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy $hit Batman! Too close for comfort. You need to find a tall tree and string the numb-nuts wrench up by his.
The best antidote for such a close call is a couple of beers, and if you're a smoker a cigarette to go with it.....lit well away from the steaming lake of potential fire.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Needless to say I found the vent pipe and it connects to my intake housing as you guys mentioned but not before pulling everything apart in a desperate attempt to lokcate the fuel leak. It's amazing how much fuel pressure is in those lines.
Can't stop swearing!!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Holy $hit Batman! Too close for comfort. You need to find a tall tree and string the numb-nuts wrench up by his.
The best antidote for such a close call is a couple of beers, and if you're a smoker a cigarette to go with it.....lit well away from the steaming lake of potential fire.
You freekin hit the nail on the head!! 4 Beers later and a Backwoods cigar I finally calmed my nerves.

About the tall tree....... I'm looking but I have no proof who put the hose in.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Funny what it says right on the hose "not for fuel injection"
F#^K!!
You wonder where these guys get their licenses
Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 AM
powerlift330
Advanced

Shemmer,

I'm glad that this thread potentially saved you and your family from major disaster. I hope that your mechanic fixes your car correctly and eats the bill. Man, that could have been bad!
BTW... Still no more than a minor puff on start up! Problem still solved!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Shemmer
Pro

I'd have to flat bed it there so I had my buddy repair it which is the same guy I was on the phone with. This guy is brilliant unfortunately he hasn't worked on many Porsches and doesn't have the facility to take on large repairs.

Quick Reply: Smoke on start up???