Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Considering a 930 Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
drmatera
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tend to dis-agree with that logic. A low compression turbo motor will not always die sooner than a high strung high compression N/A motor that needs to rev 1000 more rpm to make it's power. The additional heat is not a factor in general, now obviously if you crank the boost way up and abuse the car things will break. When I was looking for a 911 years ago my buddies at the Porsche race shop said if you run your vehicles hard get a turbo, they have much tougher motor, brakes and suspension. I will always choose a 930 over an N/A 911 as I have seen the light, and it is good!

and i find it hard to believe an N/A 964 accelerates like a 930.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Having a couple of each I would put it like this.

A 930 will not depreciate like an M3 but the maintenance will more than make up for that. These are old cars. They require maintenance.

A 2002 M3 is perhaps as close as we have come to the "perfect automobile": You can pile teens in the back, drive to and from work comfortable, it has a fantastic stereo, and it can hunt down 930s with ease at the track.

You don't buy a 930 because it makes sense in your budget. You buy a 930 because you absolutely must have one. If you don't feel obsessive about it, just pass. You won't enjoy the ride.

I have one too many. Want to buy one of mine?
http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll/classifieds/2/
Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM
drmatera
Instructor

it is true the new bread of cars has the technology to be very fast while also being civilized. Thats all well and good and most people like that. I, on the other hand, want something different when I get out of my DD and go for a ride in my "weekend" car. I don't want a quiet soft ride and a calm demeanor, the 930 can certainly fit the bill.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car out today for the first time in about two months. The sound of the engine coming to life and the burble at idle was like a call to be wild. After warming her up I ran her through the gears a few time to the red line and let me tell you it was almost like sex! ALMOST! Buy one and live!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Dai
Intermediate

Love all your comments and only ownership of one (930) can relate.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
drmatera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dai
Love all your comments and only ownership of one (930) can relate.

yes sir. and because of that my quest for another P-car has been difficult. I had my eye on a nice '87 Carrera for $17k and now this 930 has dropped into my lap. Life is tough
Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The other problem with Driver Ed in a 930 is it scares the crap out of most instructors. I found this limited my progression in the early days as well. It was a rare instructor that would tell me to get on the gas more...

Which brings up the corruption issue. Many 930 students drive lead footed - Throttle - Brake - Throttle - Brake - Throttle - Brake, which limits learning as well. Smooth is fast. But full throttle is just so much fun! Absolute power corrupts absolutely. This is why M3s are so good at catching Turbos on the track. They don't have to brake.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard the same thing. Instructors have the students drive around in a high gear because they are unsure of the boost kicking in. Scares the snot out of them.

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
The other problem with Driver Ed in a 930 is it scares the crap out of most instructors. I found this limited my progression in the early days as well. It was a rare instructor that would tell me to get on the gas more...

Quick Reply: Considering a 930 Turbo...