Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

NEED HELP BEFORE I BUY THIS CAR...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP BEFORE I BUY THIS CAR...

I won this car last week on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...CA:MOTORS:1123
i spoke to seller who was more than agreeable to sale pending a PPI. with help from some fellow rennlist guys i had the car sent to eibell performance in Clearwater, fla who did the PPI today.
HERE ARE THE RESULTS WITH COSTS-
-- odometer states 79K but speedo has writing saying repair date5/07 with possible increased mileage states tech due to speedo not working
-- engine detonates under boost and hears pinging
-- some engine leaks
-- bottom valve cover gaskets leaking + valve adjustment-$668.00
--turbo boost gauge is at one bar even at low rpm's-possible wastegate/highboost from boost spring for hi boost -$210.00
--- oil level sender in tank leaking-$89.53
--- rr inner sway bar bushings need replaced-$178.00
--- oil return tubes leaking- $662.54
--- both inner cv boots torn- $625.00
-- engine liner falling down- $521.00
---Cam seals leaking- $1424.00
--- front fuse panel cover missing -
--- rt headlight lens cracked
--- diverter valve needs new seal-$261.00
-- rr turn signal out
--- shocks worn out- $1157.00
A COMPRESSION/LEAKAGE TEST IS SCHEDULED FOR TOMORROW MORNING -WILL THIS SHOW ANY ENGINE DAMAGE PRESENT OR FUTURE DUE TO DETONATING/PINGING?
OBVIOUSLY THE CAR HAS BEEN DRIVEN HARD AND NOT MAINTAINED WELL BUT DOES IT PAY (IF COMPR/LEAKAGE RESULT IS SATISFACTORY) TO DO THE REPAIRS OF 8-9K IN FUTURE AND STILL BE AHEAD OF THE GAME OF WHAT I PAID FOR A 89 TURBO CAB THAT ARE GOING FOR 45-49 k NOW.
ALSO, CAN MOST OF THESE REPAIRS BE DONE IN THE FUTURE SINCE I AM DRIVING THE CAR LIGHT FOR RECREATIONAL USE ONLY?
I bought the car at a great price of 29,300
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

also the four tires need replacement and worn anddrivers seat stuck-before/after positions
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently bought an 89 and PPI'd at least 5 cars prior to buying mine. Many of the issues that you found can be very expensive to correct. My advice is to buy the best car that your budget allows. Skimping now will really hurt you later. My car had a few oil leaks and some misc. repairs that needed to be addressed. I budgeted accordingly and fixed everything immediately upon purchase. This being said, I agreed to split the repair costs with the previous owner. What you have done is purchased a car and may now be stuck with $8-9K worth of bill on a car with true miles unknown. I'm not trying to hurt you, but think about what $29K + $9K = $38K would buy? I think TorresMD paid close to that for his Slant nose . Just constructive criticism. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can hear the pinging, it's too late... The damage is done.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The ad says all original, but the canvas roof looks strange to me. From where the B-pillar would be to the back of the car does not look stock to me.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill: My PM to you is almost the same conclusion as Hertz wrote. If you find a nice 89 at around $35K that doesn't need much but maybe a gasket here or there...and has some nice mods like an SSI exhaust setup....you'll be way ahead of the game....PLUS, you're on the road driving it right after it comes off the trailer without waiting a few weeks while the shop fixes the issues.

My biggest concern is the detonation....that's the same as mechanical C-4, and from what you told me, the detonation wasn't even at WOT....Spring has sprung and the guys wanting to sell their cabriolets will be posting them with the onset of the nicer weather. I'd wait and look around a bit and maybe put a bit more money into something that was a little more pristeen.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

There is very little "all original" on that car. The top is from a 993 and its an expensive conversion if done right, and guessing from the way it fits that was not done right. That car has been rode hard and put away wet. There is no way it makes 400 hp and baseoooooooooooooood on how little the seller knows about the car evidenced from his add I would not touch that car for anywhere near the price on the eBay add.

Its not easy to find an 89 trubo cab so I can see giving a close look to the ones you come across but from looking at the add and talking to the seller I would not put the effort and bags of money into this one.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

thanks for all the helpful advice, especially you Chuck. i called this am and ko'ed the deal.....back on my journey!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Good call.......
Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
DDD
Pro

I noticed from the pictures what appeared to be rock chips in the paint job.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad we could collectively help you Bill....especially when it's a long distance effort and you're sort of flying blind. If you get any other possibles....stick them up on the forum and let the guys give you some input...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already bought it then you need to get on another horse. I mean the DIY horse on the things that you can do like, oil tubes which can be bought in sets for about $30 each+ labor $0. Boost gage is probablly a connection problem:ie grounded=0 boost, disconn.=%100 boost. Engine pad plus spray adhesive fixed for $5. Drive boots without bearing replacement $12 per boot. With bearings add $45/ea. Shocks can be bought on line for a lot less than the quotes you printed and it is not rocket science to install them. If you have to pull the engine than you can do alot of these things much easier with the engine out. Find a mech that will let you do some things while it is out like the oil tubes, oil press. gage sender, vakve adj. etc. Also you can do the engine pad, boots ,shocks and generally clean up the engine bay while it is out. Mechs don't have the time or inclination to look for discounts on parts so DIY. Good luck and remember we are here to help if we can.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP BEFORE I BUY THIS CAR...