911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 needs total resto

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
buzzfuzz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 needs total resto

I have the opportunity to buy from a close Friend a one owner 1985 white stock 930 turbo. It is neglected, needs total interior... but runs nearly perfect. Body is fine... no major accidents or damage. However, it has been sitting outside for 2 years. It has trick very rare set of wheels , and lots of parts that he never got to put on. Body parts, and suspension parts. I can get it for $10,000 maybe $13,000... ? Question is: Is this a decent price for a very rough terrible interior car... that I think needs a frame off rest? Am I paying too much if I go forward. What are things I need to know... if I move forward.. Anyone with suggestions, cautions, questins or possible partner??? Let me know. Thanks, Buzz
Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM
DDD
Pro

Instead of restoring the interior, simply clean it out and paint the interior, or put in a lightweight RS carpet kit, and then put in a couple racing seats. That way you have a light weight racing style interior.

If the car has no rust than you should not have a problem.

Sitting for two years is not a big deal if the car still runs. Clean out the gas lines. Run some valve cleaner thru it.

If parts are rusty or seized up, then that is a different story.

If your goal is to have a super nice concours car than you may want to start with a different car, IMO.

I would find it liberating to have a light weight shell of a 930 to build anyway I want and not have to worry about hurting the resale value.

That car is worth ten grand in parts if the motor and tranny are in serviceable condition.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We need pics to give a really good evaluation.

The interior can be dealt with rather cheaply as mentioned if your not worried about stock. It's the body and mechanicals that add up fast.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

If you decide to restore the interior, that can also be done relatively inexpensively through Porsche dismantlers. You could probably do the wntire interior for $4k - $7K depending on what needs to be redone. For example, if the leather ont he seats are warn, they can often be revitalized to look like new with leather restorer (couple of hundred bucks if that plus your labor). If they are ripped and broken, you will need to buy a pair of second hand seats ($500 - $1500). Complete carpet sets are available for between $450 and $760. A new dash pad will run around $1,250 plus $550 for the leather/vinyl cover. Door panels and handles can be picked up second hand in good shape for $1k to $2k. I suspect that a lot of stuff in the car can be restored without being replaced unless some crazy stuff happened int hat car.

If the car has no rust (check around the battery compartment in the front as leaking batteries c=often cause corrosion and eat through the floor. If the paint is good and there is no rust and the engine and tranny work well, then $10 - $13k is a steal. For $20k total, you will have a new car. And that's about $15k to $25k less than what they are going for when sold in good condition.

Just have a reputable Porsche shop do a PPI (pre purchase inspection) on the car, and if they know what they are doing will be able to tell you what you are getting yourself into.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like other said, the interior is minimal. For $7k you can have alcantara (race suede) headliner, custom rear deck area and rear quarter window trim and inner quarter panels, full carpet kit, dash recover, RSA door panels and sport seats.

If you decide to go for it and want info on any interior bits let me know. Good luck and hope you make the decision that's best for you.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From your post, it sounds like you don't know much about the 911 model, and that can get you into trouble fast, especially when trying to evaluate the condition of the car to make a decision. The cars are simple, however, there detailed things you need to know about the cars. In todays market, a 1985 (this will be a grey market version) clean running good car is worth around 25k. You need to factor in the cost of repairs to determine if that would be a good buy in the end.

A 930 that has sat for 2 years (particularly in FL) can eat up dollars very fast with fuel system repairs. Remember that these are German cars and the parts can be expensive and the hourly labor rate for an experienced Porsche shop will be in the $80-100 range.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

If your looking for some thing to play with and take it out to the track then sounds like a fair price.
From sitting outside you my have alot of dry rot is seals windows, engine, cv boots, fuel lines, brakes tires etc... So be ready to spend some money just to have it safe on the road. And just like Geoffrey said 930's eat money fast and if you can't do the alot of work yourself then I would pass..
Also why did the car sit for 2 years outside?
Keep us posted and post some pics
Old 12-23-2008, 04:53 PM
CSquared2k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buzzfuzz
I have the opportunity to buy from a close Friend a one owner 1985 white stock 930 turbo. It is neglected, needs total interior... but runs nearly perfect. Body is fine... no major accidents or damage. However, it has been sitting outside for 2 years. It has trick very rare set of wheels , and lots of parts that he never got to put on. Body parts, and suspension parts. I can get it for $10,000 maybe $13,000... ? Question is: Is this a decent price for a very rough terrible interior car... that I think needs a frame off rest? Am I paying too much if I go forward. What are things I need to know... if I move forward.. Anyone with suggestions, cautions, questins or possible partner??? Let me know. Thanks, Buzz
Originally Posted by Geoffrey
From your post, it sounds like you don't know much about the 911 model, and that can get you into trouble fast, especially when trying to evaluate the condition of the car to make a decision. The cars are simple, however, there detailed things you need to know about the cars. In todays market, a 1985 (this will be a grey market version) clean running good car is worth around 25k. You need to factor in the cost of repairs to determine if that would be a good buy in the end.

A 930 that has sat for 2 years (particularly in FL) can eat up dollars very fast with fuel system repairs. Remember that these are German cars and the parts can be expensive and the hourly labor rate for an experienced Porsche shop will be in the $80-100 range.
Man I know how you feel about having the opportunity to buy a car like that. I went through the same thing 2 years ago when I bought a friend’s 79 930. My car like yours sat for several years and the original owner said that everything was fine with it. But it wasn't and now 30,000 in various repairs and upgrades, my interior is still shot but I can out run most things in the road...

Listen to what Geoffrey said because these cars can be expensive.
But if you are still on the fence get an independent PPI It may cost you a bit up front but could save you thousands in the long run.

Chris
Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
buzzfuzz
2nd Gear

Default Thanks Guys

Well... theres even more to the story. I got paralized after riding a road the 930 owner tookl me on! He has always felt somewhat responsible... but, point is.. I wont be able to do most work myself. So my latest thoughts are I bit off too much... can't chew it! I am talking to few guys that are interested. I think its a better project for someone else... thanks for all your comments, suggestions. Buzz.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:42 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by buzzfuzz
Well... theres even more to the story. I got paralized after riding a road the 930 owner tookl me on! He has always felt somewhat responsible... but, point is.. I wont be able to do most work myself. So my latest thoughts are I bit off too much... can't chew it! I am talking to few guys that are interested. I think its a better project for someone else... thanks for all your comments, suggestions. Buzz.
The whole reason to do it would be if you were going to do it yourself, it will cost too much to have a shop do it. That is the nature of these cars, they are relatively easy to work on but have triple the labor rates of American cars.

I would pass and just buy a nice clean 930 next year if you like them.

Quick Reply: 930 needs total resto