Any comments on Haltec EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Seba911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any comments on Haltec EFI?

Hello

Iīm thinking of installing an EFI on my 930. Itīs been running in the current configuration for over 6 years, so Iīm looking for something new.

Have anyone tried the Haltec E6X engine management on a 930? Itīs not the newest EFI, but not the most expensive either. Itīs been working on my friends car (not a porsche) for a few years and seems to be reliable.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Mike Hall
Intermediate

I talked with a guy that said he didnt really like that model from Haltec but then again Im not sure why. Im working on collecting all the parts for my EFI conversion as well and I think I may just go with a MS2 setup.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The E11 and E6X ECUs were released way before the software was ready and with many bugs and odd things like locking up occuring. Even now where the software is less buggy, the software is not very flexible and it does not like magnetic sensors using the Bosch 60-2 triggering strategy. I've stopped touching them (never sold them or recommended them).

I have a significant number of hours in problem resolution and calls to AU.

Have you considered a MoTeC ECU?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motec = major money... you can get the same results minus a bit less data logging with Autronic.... Go to http://www.lugnutstuning.com/index.shtml for info..... Good luck... Kevin will help you out with install and tunning. His 2.0l 16v VW put out 700hp....
Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look up DTA had it on my 930 great customer service from ft lauderdale
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

MoTeC is not = major money, that is a missconception. Autronic ECUs have very old technology, are not flexible in the sensors they can use nor the triggering methods, further, they don't have a US dealer network and the AU support is seriously lacking.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Who is going to install the new system? Who will tune it? If this is the same person, I would consider going with something they know (and know well). Tuning (and not just WOT - drivability too) an air cooled, single plugged, turbo charged engine is challenging.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
DRV2FST
Instructor

In my opinion get whatever system your mechanic/tuner knows the best and recommends. It's the tuners ability with the system that they know best that makes a great upgrade. There are great running cars with $500 megasquirt systems and there are poorly tuned cars with $10,000 fancy efi systems. The ability of the tuner to make the system work means more than the actual system itself.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Seba911
Advanced

Thanks for your replies, will look up on the suggestions. Might be a good thing to be in contact with the local tuners here in Finland and see what systems they are confident with!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Euro951
Racer

"MoTeC is not = major money, that is a missconception. Autronic ECUs have very old technology, are not flexible in the sensors they can use nor the triggering methods, further, they don't have a US dealer network and the AU support is seriously lacking."

Well I don't know what you do for a living but in my neck of the woods Motec is alot of money. Autronic is very flexible with different sensors and pickups I don't know where you get your information from. I have seen it hooked up directly to late model Porsches. As far as tuning with a bit of engine knowledge and a wide band o2 sensor just about anyone can tune in this day and age. I even had very good success with a very inexpensive fuel management system called SDS. Check out the link... this system cost a total of 2,100 us dollars.... What would a basic Motec system cost with a labtop????

http://sdsefi.com/features/july06rsr.htm
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
DWalker
Racer

I wouldnt put SDS on a go-kart for the kid I dont have. It is incredibly inflexible and while it will runa car, so will a carburetor. And unfortunately the carb is likely to do a better job.

For a RACE car there really is no other choice than MoTeC. The ease of use, reliability, flexibility, and the fact it ALWAYS works make it worth whatever it costs. Nothing is more frustrating IMHO than paying the least possible for the EMS solution, getting to the track and watching everyone else race because the system locked up, fried an EEPROM, or otherwise decided to act up. I have personally seen Electramotive TEC2 and 3's, Haltec, AccelAutronic, etc all lock up and leave thier racers stading in the stands watching. In fact, one of my employees missed an important event earlier this year because thier Haltec went loopy last minute and they couldnt get it sorted in time. The other systems out there do work, thats not the issue, the issue is that they are not reliable and MoTeC works, everytime, which is why the very vast majority of the professional racing world uses it.

My personal opinion for a STREET car go with AEM EMS. It IS the most flexible and user-friendly system on the current market and is the best bang for the buck going. It is dead-stone reliable in the right hands and has more features and capabilities than many are likely to ever use. I will be using the AEM EMS on my own TT 911 track car. I currently have it in my Eclipse GSX (500awhp on pump gas/low boost), on my Lancer Evolution (shooting for 400awhp on e85 and stock turbo) and on my FC Drfit car (13B turbo rotary)
Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Euro951
Racer

Yes, I agree with you in a road race car situation. Motec is one of if not the best solution. But for the average guy a cheaper alternative is fine and will produce small if any HP gains. Your comment about comparing a carb to any fuel/ignition managment system is moronic and not worth any rebutle. A good SDS tune will produce a smooth idle and a very good running car. My car went through inspection and still was capable of low 12 second 1/4 mile passes...... On the highway I would pull on early 930-911turbo Porsches. All this with a VW Jetta...... Now thats embarrasing....

You obviously have only experienced ultra high dollar equipment. Many of us don't have a Motec pocketbook but still want speed/ flexibility. Did you even look at SDS's website? They use their systems on airplanes.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
DWalker
Racer

Actually,I have actually used SDS EFI system in a Mazda 4 cyl, and it was nothing but issues. It did actually run the engine most of the time, but was constantly requiring fiddling and adjusting, which was simply torture with its little tunerfob control. That engine suffered under SDS for most of a year until I sold the car. The new owner had me install a DTA EMS and that pretty much sorted it out.

I have actually worked with pretty much every EMS out there, and still do pretty much daily. For my money the EMS is the single most important part of your engine/car. Cheap out and you will almost certianly regret it. I simply cannot tell you how often I get some kid in the shop with some form of turbo car agonizing over which turbo to get and completely ignoring the EMS solution to handle it. Many of them choose the most expensive turbo they can afford and the cheapest tuning solution, completely ignoring my advice. Fortunately, we build engines as well
Old 09-03-2008, 03:59 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

What do you think of MSII?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Well I don't know what you do for a living but in my neck of the woods Motec is alot of money.
I'm in your neck of the woods, check my signature. I OWN a company that specializes in engine mangement and data acqusition and have done so since 1987 when EFI systems were tuned with a screwdriver rather than a Laptop. Further, I teach EFI classes for EFI University and have developed some of the course material. Some of my latest projects have been a Daytona Prototype with a 996tt engine, Drive by wire, sequential shifting, and stupid amounts of power...I've been around awhile. Check the 964 Forum, we've been converting 964 street cars to MoTeC with great success in both power, fuel economy, and emissions. Threads are titled "9M USA..."

I have had experience with Autronic and tuned a number of cars with them, including the new SM4 which had issues and would just stop working and the car would shut off. Further, Autronic does "a lot for you" and often times it isn't correct for your application, like the computation of injector pulsewidth due to air temp differences. The charge temp table is a source of error in that system.

Many of us don't have a Motec pocketbook but still want speed/ flexibility.
You really haven't looked at the total cost of installing and tuning an EFI system. MoTeC is NOT that much more to install than any of the ones listed above. In fact, if your tuner is charging you for his time spent working through issues with the software and reliability issues on another ECU, MoTeC actually costs LESS!

Last edited by Geoffrey; 09-03-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Any comments on Haltec EFI?