Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

A year's worth of buying parts and final upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agre with you Jonathan, seems logical I guess. Whatever the reason, Chuck's car is great!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rudy: Remember, I started buying my parts well over a year ago...and back then, the only game in town was Brian's Adjustable WUR...which is what's in there. Actually, it works quite well and I have no plans to change to the digital iteration. I recall that there was a new one that hit the scene around that time and when I made the decision to stay with Brian L's....Nathan agreed. My objective has always been engine longevity and reliability, and Brian's was time tested and true. I am also staying with CIS in order to be able to preserve the originality of the factory slant so that if and when I decide to sell...I can retro it to bone stock should the buyer want it that way. But it runs so well this way that I would hate to retro it....but the eventual buyer will decide that.

Strudel: I'll pull the rear wheel and take those pics of the oil cooler setup as you asked.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

RarlyL8 seems to get on with Brian L's adjustable WUR, that's a good enough recommendation for me!
The digiWUR is great but I know that you are not pushing your engine to the limits chuck so it shouldn't be necessary.

As for the turbo / wastegate. The other factor which I think maybe JBL was getting at is that turbo's have an efficiency range. I'm not sure how efficient it would be when spinning outside the usual rpm.
I think originally turbo's were designed to be as small as possible so they didn't need much wg intervention. They used to just stop overboost in the mid range of the engines power band, to flatten the curve as it were. I think even with the 3LDZ the wastegate does start to close again when the engine gets to high rpm at WOT with an uprated spring.

Some people think I'm nuts taking my 930 apart, they say "You going to rebuild the engine better than Porsche did?"... I reply "Yeah". Of course I'm only doing bolt ons but the car had so much throttle lag, it was fine for blasting down the strip even though I got beat by a Mini...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

OK...I wasn't going to put in any oil cooler pics, but here are a few gratuitous ones for you Nathan.....I have the original louvered cooler cover but haven't installed it yet...what's on there is an interim one made up as a stone guard until I got around to putting on the louvered original...so you folks with the sharp eyes will note that it's a screen and a variance from original.
Attached Images    
Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nathan,
If you got beaten by a Mini you have some real problems with your ride. Maybe the first 50 feet but then it should be all over.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
strudel
Racer

Chuck,
thanks for the photos.
H
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I sent you a series of more via email....be sure to check your email account. BTW....I have relatives who live up on the hill off Murchison Drive that I come visit when I'm in Burlingame...perhaps next visit I'll drive the 930 and you can take a look at it in person?

Chuck
Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Looks really great Chuck! Curious any reason you chose SSI over B&B -or- GHL?

Regards - Yasin
Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Slow n R: The reason was somewhat complex and involved. I saw it on eBay and bought it without checking into the merits of either. (obviously being facetious) My choice was entirely by chance....I wish I could say it was the result of an extensive research effort...but it wasn't. I did a quick check into SSI and saw that they had a well established reputation, and bought both right and left sides for $500 which included the Y pipe. That turned out to be about half of what they cost....less the cost of the Y pipe which was another $400 or so. So it turned out to be a good deal for me. I ended up going to the SSI factory in Novato and meeting John the owner and seeing the operation. I was impressed with the operation and the quality of what I had bought entirely by chance. That started me on the buying road to picking up all the other parts and pieces one at a time as I determined what I needed. A lot of the suggestions came from the guys here on Rennlist, RennTech, Pelican, and in talking to various indys.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Thanks for the pics Chuck, it was nice to see how they done it.

Rudy, I still did the 1/4 in 13.1 which is pretty quick but that pesky Mini did it quicker. I can tell you for sure that if it was 2/3 of a mile I would have beat him
Mini was actually an MR2 turbo that had been crashed in the front, the front cut off and the body. It then had the Mini front and body welded on to it. It looked awful inside and of course turned up and went home on a trailer.
One thing for sure, it was great VFM compared to my 930...
Nobody else would even race him Even a skyline...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

You got ***** Nathan!!!! Atta boy.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:56 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

It was a fun day and probably the main reason why I took my 930 apart for upgrades.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Speedracer
Intermediate

Chuck, Could you send me the photos of your rear fender oil cooler install as well. Thanks Greg
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

GREG: PM me your email address...I have a zip file with the pictures in it that I'll send you. Or just email me at fishoncj@aol.com and I'll respond directly off my email to your account with the pictrures......
Old 07-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Greg: Did the pictures come thru? If not, I'll resend them...

Cj

Quick Reply: A year's worth of buying parts and final upgrades