Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Is the N/A 911 too much like the 930????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I drive a pickup for a daily driver and I've been contemplating a new truck, probably a Silverado Hybrid at the end of the year... or if I finish a house project and make some room in the garage, I could keep the old truck and buy a Porsche. Right now I'm leaning towards an '02 or later 996 but the thought of a 993 or even 964 always crop up. I think the 996 would handle the Houston summers better and be more comfortable but the engine and more classic style of the 993 and 964 make them real options.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
drvinc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rarely post but had to chime in on this one. Started with a '86 911, followed by a 2000 C-4 and now an Imagine Auto built '87 930. From the time snow thaws until it shows up in November, I have driven every Porsche EVERY DAY. Hell, I even threw plates on my '92 C-4 club racer hit the streets. The garage is for lawn mowers. Drive 'em hard and have fun.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drvinc
I rarely post but had to chime in on this one. Started with a '86 911, followed by a 2000 C-4 and now an Imagine Auto built '87 930. From the time snow thaws until it shows up in November, I have driven every Porsche EVERY DAY. Hell, I even threw plates on my '92 C-4 club racer hit the streets. The garage is for lawn mowers. Drive 'em hard and have fun.

I agree with this 100%, and I think that 99% of the guys on this board would agree also.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I drive a pickup for a daily driver and I've been contemplating a new truck, probably a Silverado Hybrid at the end of the year... or if I finish a house project and make some room in the garage, I could keep the old truck and buy a Porsche. Right now I'm leaning towards an '02 or later 996 but the thought of a 993 or even 964 always crop up. I think the 996 would handle the Houston summers better and be more comfortable but the engine and more classic style of the 993 and 964 make them real options.
Man, the more I read your posts, the more I realize how much you and I are alike! I too have been contemplating a truck (albeit a F350, fiancee' wants a boat once this "correction" fizzles out)...

I thought about a 964, and a guy who uses my mechanic is selling a 993 targa (REALLY TEMPTING). The 996s don't do it for me although I know they are extremely capable cars. I know that the A/C is better in the later cars, but I just love the 80s style too much to pull the trigger on the 964 or 993 just yet.

Next time you are in New Orleans, look me up!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I'll throw in a curve ball-

I have a 80SC which is a great communter and like all that have responded have said very nimble and very dependable, I also have a 36K mile 85 euro 930 that I save every mile for driving fun and showing off to the valets, but the car I love the long commutes in is my 968. It has tons of space- even my cab has a trunk big enough for 2 sets of golf clubs (try that in a boxster or 993), has ice AC, performs dead even in acceleration with the 3.2 carrerras (believe it or not) and gets 22-32MPH. Also unacheivable in the 911 world. It has I feel more updated look than the 928 and the 911 until you get to the 993, and most people do not even know what kind of P car it is. Throw in the big brakes, anti lock,and dual air bags and it makes a sensable choice to be behind the wheel every day. The forgotten Porsche.

Besides you can pick one up in VGC in the mid teens and run the wheels off. My 1st 968 coupe I sold at 169K running great- It's like your 928 on a diet....just don't expect as much respect at the next cruise in. just a thought- IMHO- Mike
Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
Thanks for the replies gentlemen...

I don't think that I was as clear as I should have been in my initial post...I would NEVER daily drive my 930...it is strictly a toy.

I used to daily drive a '76 911s back in grad school and I loved it. I have had my eye on the later model Carreras for some time now, and I simply did not want to buy a car too similar to what I currently have. Having said that, I know that I could NEVER mistake a NA 911 for my modded 930!

It has been a while since I have been behind the wheel of a 80s Carrera, I think I will have to find a few to test drive and make my decision from there...but I do know that I am more of a 911 guy than a 928 guy. The 928 is fantastic, but it doesn't stir my soul the way 911s of the same vintage do.
I currently have a 79 930 and a 85 Row Cab. As a daily driver, the 930 is a beast and being stuck in traffic is no fun. When I get home at the end of the day, I'm just beat. You also end up going a lot faster thatn you intended to with the turbo.

The 85 Cab is a fantastic dd. It is nimble, easy to drive, comfortable and relatively quick. You don't get frustrated in traffic and if it is a beautiful day, putting the top down makes for an exhilirating/refreshing drive.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 PM
DDD
Pro

I think every car enthusiast should be forced to take a road trip in a plain jane 911. They just have a feeling that can't be described. Everything is just right, nothing overdone, nothing missing. Solid and confidence inspiring.

A true karma car.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:25 AM
Porscott
Cruisin'

I have owned a 3.2 Carrera before the current 930.
For a daily driver I would definately recommend a 3.2. It is a totally different vehicle to the 930. Power is delivered in a more lineal manner and it is happy truddling around town as much as the open freeway. The 930 is more excillarating obviously, however I use it as a toy only as it is much happier 'on boost", and in this respect is a little less practical. The 3.2 is incredibly reliable and vertually bullet proof ( I sold it with 250,000KM on the clock and other than normal servicing requirements DID NOT SPEND A CENT) and in my opinion a more desirable buy than an SC.
So thrill a minute stuff....930, practical classic 3.2 Carrera every time.
Oh, and by the way, if fuel economy is a criteria buy a Prius LOL
Just my opinion.

Last edited by Porscott; 04-05-2008 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porscott
I have owned a 3.2 Carrera before the current 930.
For a daily driver I would definately recommend a 3.2. It is a totally different vehicle to the 930. Power is delivered in a more lineal manner and it is happy truddling around town as much as the open freeway. The 930 is more excillarating obviously, however I use it as a toy only as it is much happier 'on boost", and in this respect is a little less practical. The 3.2 is incredibly reliable and vertually bullet proof ( I sold it with 250,000KM on the clock and other than normal servicing requirements DID NOT SPEND A CENT) and in my opinion a more desirable buy than an SC.
So thrill a minute stuff....930, practical classic 3.2 Carrera every time.
Oh, and by the way, if fuel economy is a criteria buy a Prius LOL
Just my opinion.

You are correct, if I was strictly a fuel economy guy, then the Prius would be on my list. In fact, when I mentioned Carrera, my fiancee' rolled her eyes! Notice I said, "better" fuel economy, not best!

I am the kind of guy that will sacrifice a few mpg for a car that I enjoy driving. Although she does not know it yet, another motivation for me to look at the later Carrera is that I have always wanted to build a Yellowbird replica...The way I figure it, I could buy the car now, commute in it for a year or two, and then let the transformation begin!

I have an illness...I know.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:24 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Make sure you get a G50 carrera then. '87+
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by Cajun
You are correct, if I was strictly a fuel economy guy, then the Prius would be on my list. In fact, when I mentioned Carrera, my fiancee' rolled her eyes! Notice I said, "better" fuel economy, not best!

I am the kind of guy that will sacrifice a few mpg for a car that I enjoy driving. Although she does not know it yet, another motivation for me to look at the later Carrera is that I have always wanted to build a Yellowbird replica...The way I figure it, I could buy the car now, commute in it for a year or two, and then let the transformation begin!

I have an illness...I know.
Ha! Now you are talkin'.

So what do you need to ask us for? Get you a yellowbird in hiding.

Quick Reply: Is the N/A 911 too much like the 930????