Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

4 speed vs 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 AM
mdurbahn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't even use fourth in mine very often..
Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by JFairman
I just adapt to whatever the car has. The 4 speed in the 930 has character with it's long gears and I enjoy it.
My daily driver for around 10 years back in the 80's was a BMW 2002ti with a 4speed, dual weber 45DCOE's, and BMW 300 degree cam... and driving the 930 isn't any more difficult than that car. Just have to be careful not to give it much throttle while in a turn or it'll break loose when the turbo kicks in.
Dayum - 300 degree cam! Nutty! Mmmmm... a dual weber'd ti, niiiiiiiiiice. Bet that was a hoot. 1000 years ago I slapped a 278 into my Volvo 242GT - I remember speaking with Group 6 in AZ saying "give me the most ludicrous cam you've got, minus one" heh heh heh. Car idled like a popcorn popper just starting to pop, at 250rpm. Good times.

Heh, on the 4gang... I too *really* dig it, mostly for the goof factor it provides. Like you said, the loooooooooong gears are something to behold on-boost - there's nothing out there that can ever hope to replicate that motoring experience, it's like no other. Addictive fun. I've driven a G50'd '89 Carrera and it wasn't the gearing I liked so much as the shifter itself. Like buttah!

Funnily, I've found myself 2-3x going to grab "5th" heh heh heh, only to feel like a maroon. D'oh. Hey, my //S6 was a 6gang so my wrist is used to rowing 8-).

My bore'd / cam'd TR3's a 4gang too (non-synchro'd 1st, to boot). Now there's a car I'm dying to slap overdrive into!!! A 5k red on a 3 bearing main makes highway cruising buzzzzzzzzy - sigh. Another project for another day.

Anywho...

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
JFairman
Racer

Yeah it was a fun car, wish I never sold it...
The cam was actually made by BMW motorsport and the center cam journal in the head had to be bored out bigger to fit that cam in. They also made a full race cam that was 336 degrees duration if I remember correctly.

My car also had 10:1 Mahle pistons and Stahl headers on it too, with enlarged port matched head.
The 45 DCOE's had 38mm venturi's in them, and large idle jets to make a smooth transition to the main jets. It had a rough idle but ran great...
It was lowered with 22mm sway bars, front air damn, and Bilstein sports.

I had it up to what appeared to be 125mph by the position of the needle a few times... the speedo numbers only went to 120mph though, lol.

Quick Reply: 4 speed vs 5 speed