Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
AngM018
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, how did you blow your original engine?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Make sure there are no cracks in that case, looks like it was a pretty clean example as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jbl930 are you still able to get more parts from that car?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by JBL930
5) If i was thinking of fitting the 6 speed 993tt box what are the issues there, is it even possible?.....
It is possible but requires a few things to be done. These are some of the things that needed to be done to my car:

Since the 993TT gearbox (G64/51) is longer than either the 4 or 5 speeds, the torque bar needed to be cut out of the way:

Due to the above I naturally had to have the torsion bars replaced with RSR coilovers.

Also, the 930 speedometer functioning is different from the 993TT cars. This necessitated a toner wheel (with 8 bolts on one side) to be fabricated to be used in conjunction with a sensor that was reading the rotation of those 8 bolts:

It was quite a bit of work but the end result is positively worth it to me.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

AngM018, Basically it went lean on a VMax run and holed a piston, lesson learnt! I couldn't face the agony of going EFI with my 930 engine and thoought the better option was to fit the 993tt engine

Schnele, the shop will be giving the engine a thorough going over, i've bought it unseen so i hope it's ok, they've given me a 30 day warrantee from the day it's in the car and running, i need to send them photo evidence as it's being fitted etc. With the luck i've had so far I deserve a break, it may have been tuned already and have big turbos on it and a RUF/RS ECU, i can but dream!

Black930, if you tell me which bits you're interested in i'll give them a bell, it's in the UK though so not sure if it's going to be economically viable for you to buy bits off it, i'm more than happy to ask for you

Olli, that info is great mate thanks a lot, great pics too! The breakers want a further $8,000 for the gearbox without fitting, how much time, or how many hours was it roughly to get that 6 speed to fit, and also how much time to get the RSR suspension fitted? Coil overs were on my list of things to do so i could bump that to the top of the list. Have you any idea how much a good 5 speed box is, and is the work involved similar to fitting the 6 speed? One last question, is that sensor for the speedo an off the shelf item, and would it not have been easier to fit a 993tt speedo?
If i am going to keep pouring money into this car, which it looks like I'm going to, my aim is to build something that will do over 200mph. It will see some track work but not much, I'm a bit of a speed freak and having a 200mph+ car is a childhood dream that i would like to make a reality, the gearbox will obviously be a major factor in achieving this so i would like to do the correct mods now while i can. All advice much appreciated!

Ruf did 211mph with 469bhp and weighing 2580ib's or 1170kgs. I think i could get my weight down to at least 1250kgs with a similar BHP level, it won't be as good through the air as the narrow body but 200mph should be achievable right?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Got some pics of the engine as it's going on the pallet, looks like there is some damage to the right hand cat, i think it's the cat but i suppose it could be a muffler? Will i even need cats on it as it's going in a 1987 car, would be good to junk all of that if poss and have something minimal fab'd up

This is a sad sight

Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

If 200mph is your goal get a later car with better safety bits, chassis etc I don't want to discourage you but to save you a world of hurt and disappointment. You will throw an ungodly sum of money at the 930 to make it do what is passe for a later car, Olli's car is making somwhere around 550rwhp, I have a similar build, I have endured many months of pain, suffering and two engine builders to get to this point and a huge stack of cash. Olli had the fortune of finding the right guy in his backyard that could do the job right and effeciently for half what I have done because I had to do the same stuff twice. I think you would be better served to find a deal on someone else's project car or a candidate for a 993 GT2 conversion. Good Luck.

Project Type 930/1987 model/ 37343 miles
Engine
3.6 RSA crank and stock oil pump with modified galleys, etc.
Case boat tailed
Pauter rods
3.4L Mahle cylinders with custom JE pistons (I think they are chromoly)
heads ported with custom head work
964 style gaskets
930 heads ported to 42mm
Twin plug with Bosch silver plugs W4CS
Imagine Auto valve springs and titanium retainers
GT2 Evo custom grind cams Speedwerks custom grind
Carrera 3.2 liter intake manifold Extruded and honed
Custom billet fuel rails
Edelbrock pressure regulator
Siemens injectors 72lb/hr Matched flowed
Full bay intercooler from Bell intercoolers (Don Enderlein’s design)
B&B Headers (retained)
Fabspeed Dual out exhaust
Custom GT37R (oil cooled only)
Tial BOV, Wastegate
MoTeC M600 with Data logging
Denso coil/igniters
Motec switch on the fly boost controller with hidden Valet
Kennedy Engineered Products Pressure Plate
Carbon Fiber shroud

Transmission

Patrick Motorsports Custom G50/50 with Guard Chromoly LSD, steel synchros, WEVO G50 shifter

Suspension

I have upgraded to an RSR coilover setup and Wevo Camber king setup with the strut brace tube.
Braking and Running Gear

The car presently has Big Reds all around and 17” Ruf classics (17x8.5 and 17x 10 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups).
Safety

Full fire suppression is onboard and a Chromoly roll bar built. Bi-xenon H4s, Recaro Sport Toplines in suede and leather
Miscellaneous: McIntosh head unit and amplifier sound system with ADS speakers and JL sub
My goal is a drivable car with 550+hp at the wheels at 6200 rpm/.9Bar, I am sure there are a lot of items that were missed but the list covers the meat and potatoes. The car is making a reliable 567RWHP.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are some sad pics of the 993tt that i'm getting the transplant from, hope the guy/girl driving got out unharmed! more pics to follow

I'd be interested in those door panels for the right price.. $100ea U.S.?
And the seats?

Paul
Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
AngM018
Instructor

I bet its killing you that you cant drive this beast! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Question: How do you like your bi-xenons? same quality as factory? brand? Now that I have a car with them (my audi) I could never go back to halogen. I just need to upgrade the 930

Originally Posted by schnele
If 200mph is your goal get a later car with better safety bits, chassis etc I don't want to discourage you but to save you a world of hurt and disappointment. You will throw an ungodly sum of money at the 930 to make it do what is passe for a later car, Olli's car is making somwhere around 550rwhp, I have a similar build, I have endured many months of pain, suffering and two engine builders to get to this point and a huge stack of cash. Olli had the fortune of finding the right guy in his backyard that could do the job right and effeciently for half what I have done because I had to do the same stuff twice. I think you would be better served to find a deal on someone else's project car or a candidate for a 993 GT2 conversion. Good Luck.

Project Type 930/1987 model/ 37343 miles
Engine
3.6 RSA crank and stock oil pump with modified galleys, etc.
Case boat tailed
Pauter rods
3.4L Mahle cylinders with custom JE pistons (I think they are chromoly)
heads ported with custom head work
964 style gaskets
930 heads ported to 42mm
Twin plug with Bosch silver plugs W4CS
Imagine Auto valve springs and titanium retainers
GT2 Evo custom grind cams Speedwerks custom grind
Carrera 3.2 liter intake manifold Extruded and honed
Custom billet fuel rails
Edelbrock pressure regulator
Siemens injectors 72lb/hr Matched flowed
Full bay intercooler from Bell intercoolers (Don Enderlein’s design)
B&B Headers (retained)
Fabspeed Dual out exhaust
Custom GT37R (oil cooled only)
Tial BOV, Wastegate
MoTeC M600 with Data logging
Denso coil/igniters
Motec switch on the fly boost controller with hidden Valet
Kennedy Engineered Products Pressure Plate
Carbon Fiber shroud

Transmission

Patrick Motorsports Custom G50/50 with Guard Chromoly LSD, steel synchros, WEVO G50 shifter

Suspension

I have upgraded to an RSR coilover setup and Wevo Camber king setup with the strut brace tube.
Braking and Running Gear

The car presently has Big Reds all around and 17” Ruf classics (17x8.5 and 17x 10 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups).
Safety

Full fire suppression is onboard and a Chromoly roll bar built. Bi-xenon H4s, Recaro Sport Toplines in suede and leather
Miscellaneous: McIntosh head unit and amplifier sound system with ADS speakers and JL sub
My goal is a drivable car with 550+hp at the wheels at 6200 rpm/.9Bar, I am sure there are a lot of items that were missed but the list covers the meat and potatoes. The car is making a reliable 567RWHP.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

They were pricey I bought them from Stephen at IA they seem to throw a lot of light but I have only seen them in the darkened shop. By the way the leg is coming along, my Doc is an enthusiast and is waiting for a ride, he has a 997S, so he is hoping that I can push the clutch in soon.
Sorry for the hijack
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Thanks for the advice Schnele, i'm in too deep with this car to go down a different route, i had spent WAY more money than the car is worth BEFORE i blew the engine! Plus i just love the 930 shape and the old school feel, i'm sure with coil overs and sway bars, strut brace and some aerodynamic mods the car will be stable enough to handle 200mph. I'm not talking about sustained long blasts down autobahns, just VMax runs down airstrips. I'm thinking one of the UMW kits or Cargraphic kits to take the car up to the 470-480 bhp level, then shed a bit of weight, maybe change out the seats and so on to get the car in the 1250 kg or less range, a bigger set of wheels to help with the gearing, am i in cuckoo land?
I thought that even with the 4 speed, with the rev limiter at 7000rpm and some over size wheels on the rear it would crack 200, is it simply not possible?

Your build sheet looks amazing, if i knew what i know now when i bought the car 5 years ago i would have had something very similar, i've thrown most of the money i've spent on the 930 engine down the drain, i don't have the patience to start over with that engine, the 993 lump is simply a better platform being 3.6ltr and twin turbo.
575 bhp at the wheels at 0.9bar and 3.4ltr is incredible, what does that equate to at the crank? i didn't even think that kind power was possible at that boost level. I know JamesE's engine puts out 570 BHP at the crank at 0.8 bar on an engine dyno using a GT40BBR turbo and is a full pressure sensing set up, you're leagues ahead power wise, what's the secret?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

The actual displacement is 3.5l with the 3mm increase in stroke from the 3.6 crank, the secret is the guy doing the headwork. I could probably get more RWHP with Marco Manzie of Billet Design's headers and ITB but I wanted set it and forget it reliability, there is a lot that went into the engine in terms of windage and massaging the intake and exhaust ports and a ton more that did not make the list. David Yerkes has more power than I do, as does GJF it really isn't about who has what but more about what these engines are capable of, it is a wonder the 962 used the same engine case that was developed in the early seventies.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Schnele, My motor is very close to your specs... I have 2mm more stroke..78.4 or 78.8 cant remember which.. but other than that, we are very close. I have yet to build my headers. I am going to attempt to copy a Marco equal length system... I have called him for the past year, but always get excuses as to when he will start on them. I might as well make me a copy myself!!!

Also, I see you are from MI?? My brother and I grew up just North of Muskegon.... I DONT miss the winters at all!!!!

Brad
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Olli
Racer

......how much time, or how many hours was it roughly to get that 6 speed to fit, and also how much time to get the RSR suspension fitted? Coil overs were on my list of things to do so i could bump that to the top of the list. Have you any idea how much a good 5 speed box is, and is the work involved similar to fitting the 6 speed? One last question, is that sensor for the speedo an off the shelf item, and would it not have been easier to fit a 993tt speedo?.....
Jonathan, Although the shop had the car for a few months doing this job due to scheduling issues etc. the charged time for fitting the 6 speed was about 2 weeks worth of labor. This included time for replacing gaskets for the gearbox and installing a Guard TBD into it. Also I first asked them to put on a race clutch and a LWFW that I ended up regretting and they then reversed that by putting on a dual mass FW and another clutch. So, my guess is that to do the gearbox installation alone would have been maybe a week or so.

The RSR coilovers was just a couple of days. I was talking to them one day before they had started and two days later when I went there it was finished already.

The sensor is off the shelf and I seem to remember was about $50 + shipping.

With a 5 speed (G50/xx) you would not have to go through as much work as with a 6 speed. I think it's just a bolt on. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Regarding a price for the 5 speed, it depends on what you can find in the 2nd hand market. I sold mine (G50/01) for $3,000 plus $1,200 for the Guard TBD I had just had put in it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Olli both G50 based transmissions require modification to fit into a 930, the bell has to be shortened as well as the main shaft and so on. The engine and transmission mount will need to be modified as well as the torsion bar tube if the torsion bar is retained, you will also need a later sway bar there isn't as much cutting as with the 6 speed but you have to move around some engine tin.

Jonathan a G50/50 with stock gears and a 25.8" wheel diameter will get you a theoretical 206-208 miles per hour

Brad I have been talking to your brother Brian about buying my seats, anyway what is your final displacement and compression, I forgot to mention that there was also a bump in compression to 8.0:1.

Jonathan I bought a "new" G50/50 from Patrick Motorsports for 13.2k including all the parts necessary for the conversion and a chromoly Paul Guard differential. I would not settle for a G50 for a high horsepower car, I know Juan ran a G50 in his but unless you have the ability to rebuild the thing at will I would not.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??