Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some more. Keep in mind I did not move the oil tank and should have to avoided the nighmare created by placing the turbos there. The later ones I did we removed the tank and did it that way.
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
slowhand
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That engine is work of art Porshe PHD!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Jon,
Good luck with the project! I'm sure there will be lots of challenges along the way... but you'll end up with an amazing tool!

PS: You definitely won't be needing my spare WUR now!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

porschephd what kind of hp is the yellow one puttin out if you dont mind me asking?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OH in the day it was doing around 600 wheel. That was MANY years ago.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I hear the oil tank has to be moved to make way for the RH turbo.

IIRC the '72 cars (and RUF's) had the oil tank located in front of the rear wheel instead of behind it. They also had a filler flap in the rear wing to fill with oil.

Is this needed (or maybe the best way) to do it Stephen? Some useful weight distribution advantage here.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stratman
I respectfully disagree with so many people that say an intercooler will not work without shrouding. When I first put my IC on my 76 over 20 years ago it had a kit that bolted to the inside of the rear deck lid. The IC had a rubber lip that with the lid closed would meet the fiberglass shroud above it. It all made sense. I thought it has to pull the air through the IC to cool etc. Over the years the rubber lip deteriorated, and finally I ditched it as well as the shroud above it. But, and I do say but, after many hard runs I'd pop the deck and feel the IC. It never got hot unless it was very hot outside and I don't usually go for runs on hot days. Years later after reading so much on the internet about needing a shroud I actually mounted a portable thermometer on the IC. I rebuilt the shroud put a new rubber lip etc. And what did I find. Not one bit of difference between having a shroud and running without it. I do have a Turbo S tail which might make some difference over the way the air flows into the engine. I do know it plants the rear far better than the rubber lipped 78-up tail did.

On hard runs I never make it a habit to stop the car, let heat sink take effect etc. The bottom line unless someone can show me irefutable evidence otherwise I don't think shrouding make much difference.
Did you read the posts on Pelican about this Stratman? They seemed to favour the shrouding.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Cheers for the pics Stephen, that looks like a lot of work!! You mention that in later installs you moved the oil tank to avoid having to rear mount the turbos, would you elaborate? More pics would be great, some of the tails you've used would also be a big help. Really appreciate your input

Mark, i'm sure this project will be a bit testing but will be worth it, i just thought with all the bonuses of the 993tt engine it would be silly not to do it, I should be able to get high 400bhp figures reliably with the option of going for much more later on, it seamed silly to throw more money at my 930 engine when it's probably worth more parted out! Yes your WUR is now surplus to requirements, let me know how you want me to get it back to you, thanks a lot for lending it to me, shame i never fitted it on the day as i would probably not be in this situation, I suppose it could have been a dodgy injector though but now we'll never know!

So far i have learned that
1) The oil tank and lines will need to be revised, more info on this would be great
2) I'll need a solution for the tail to accommodate the bigger intercooler
3) The engine mounts won't line up, a solution to this would be great
4) There will be issues with the flywheel as I'm going to be using my 930 4 speed box, what flywheel will work? And what clutch would you fit?
5) If i was thinking of fitting the 6 speed 993tt box what are the issues there, is it even possible?
6) Obviously wiring up the new harness will be a task but i think that one is covered.

Any more input would be great, i'll get pics up as soon as i have some, thanks all
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

JBL930 hop on to Pelican and search GJF in this thread, it is a twinned 930 engine not 993tt but he moved his oil tank to the front and his car sems to be well sorted.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...&highlight=gjf
Old 01-09-2008, 03:56 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Thanks Schnele
I hope he doesn't mind me posting this pic

He is clearly very particular about his work, everything looks really neat!
How would you monitor oil level with this set up? I assume you couldn't have a dip stick anymore, where does the oil level gauge get it's signal from?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 AM
wayneb911
Intermediate

So is your 93 engine knackered now or is it rebuildable? Will you be selling it at all?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:38 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Hi Wayne, my engine is a 1987 930 engine, maybe you just missed the 0 off 930?
Yes it's rebuildable, it needs a piston and cylinder and then stripping and cleaning and rebuilding, it could be done for little money i believe which is why i'm in two minds as what to do with it, it may well be worth more parting it out to be honest but i haven't had the time to sit down and work out which is the best option.
The engine was rebuilt 13,000 miles ago so it's in good shape, it had good leakdown numbers before it went pop. I believe the crank is difficult to source, the heads are worth money too, plus i have a ton of other performance parts on it which would probably make it worth more in bits.
A basic list would consist of a 964 intercooler, 964 cams, 9m headers,, recently rebuilt stock wastegate with 1.0bar spring. New or nearly new stuff would include, new HFS turbo, new IA fuel head, new IA Airbox, new IA diverter valve, new fabspeed muffler and wastegate pipe to give duel out look, rebuilt heads, new alternator, new engine wiring loom, newly rebuilt distributer. I'm sure there's more but i can't recall, i know most of the pipes and lines are also new too!
StuP has first call on the HFS turbo if i decide to get shot of everything, the other stuff i guess i'd be open to offers? Thats if i don't rebuild it and just keep it as a spare, as i said i haven't made my mind up yet!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JBL930
Hi Wayne, my engine is a 1987 930 engine, maybe you just missed the 0 off 930?
Yes it's rebuildable, it needs a piston and cylinder and then stripping and cleaning and rebuilding, it could be done for little money i believe which is why i'm in two minds as what to do with it, it may well be worth more parting it out to be honest but i haven't had the time to sit down and work out which is the best option.
The engine was rebuilt 13,000 miles ago so it's in good shape, it had good leakdown numbers before it went pop. I believe the crank is difficult to source, the heads are worth money too, plus i have a ton of other performance parts on it which would probably make it worth more in bits.
A basic list would consist of a 964 intercooler, 964 cams, 9m headers,, recently rebuilt stock wastegate with 1.0bar spring. New or nearly new stuff would include, new HFS turbo, new IA fuel head, new IA Airbox, new IA diverter valve, new fabspeed muffler and wastegate pipe to give duel out look, rebuilt heads, new alternator, new engine wiring loom, newly rebuilt distributer. I'm sure there's more but i can't recall, i know most of the pipes and lines are also new too!
StuP has first call on the HFS turbo if i decide to get shot of everything, the other stuff i guess i'd be open to offers? Thats if i don't rebuild it and just keep it as a spare, as i said i haven't made my mind up yet!
Awesome project. I'd be interested in the IA fuel head if you ever part it...though I might be at a disadvantage with the crap US dollar.

Cheers and good luck on a killer project!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Olli did the 993 6 speed into his '89 930. https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/343048-another-rebuild-efi-conversion.html

Let me know if you want to sell the headers.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Nathan, i will give you first refusal on the headers, they were £1695 + VAT new and have done 13,000 miles, no idea what they are worth now, they have probably been the best performing part of anything i did to my engine. To be fair i didn't really get chance to really test the other bits, the muffler, HFS, and airbox sounded great but only did 250 miles or so before the engine gave up the ghost so not enough time to really base an opinion. The HFS DEFINITELY performed better than the garrett hybrid 9m creation, however i have no idea what that turbo actually was before, it WAS NOT a GT35R though that's for sure, i guess i'll never know!

Here are some sad pics of the 993tt that i'm getting the transplant from, hope the guy/girl driving got out unharmed! more pics to follow

I'm glad it was a black turbo, no idea why, just feels better

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??