Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Boost cut off Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Yep, worst case is just a $15K+ engine job..
You really need to have that wastegate functioning properly. I have no idea what your setup is or how it works as I just use a standard (Tial) WG and swap out springs to adjust max boost or i'd be glad to help.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it when the big "a-ha!" finally comes along. Your wastgate is toast, most probably due to the diaphram being torn or dislodged inside. You'll have to take the top off to see the diaphram's condition. Careful though, because the top is under a lot of spring pressure and will fly across the room if you don't release the pressure gradually. A shop press works nicely to hold the assembly together while unscrewing the top, and slowly opening it all up.
One note on plumbing: Make sure that the boost line is connected to the correct port on the WG, i.e., the side port. The port on the top of the housing is just a vent port. If whoever working on this car last switched the position of the hoses, then the WG won't work. Maybe you'll be lucky, but check that out first.
If it's the diaphram, you can buy a replacement somewhere...or spend your $$ on a new Tial 46mm.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silly! I know I need the WG functioning properly, was just asking if the few miles I've done sans were any concern. No, nothing's gone kaboom yet nor won't as now I know.

Thanks guys though, appreciate the wisdom. I've taken my //S6 WG apart before and am intimately familiar with spring "SPROING!" if yer not careful heh heh.

I'll have a peeksee some night this week and report back. For now, just a little lighter in the right size 10 - doesn't make me light in the loafers does it??? AH!

Gary, like I said, were in CT you located? Love to see your beautiful '82 some time. And may just take you up on a Tial install should it come to that 8-).
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
Gary, like I said, were in CT you located? Love to see your beautiful '82 some time. And may just take you up on a Tial install should it come to that 8-).
About 10 minutes West off exit 15 (I84) in Southbury. I'll be at Limerock for the close of the season Driver's Ed. (CT Valley Region of PCA), are you a member of PCA? You can come up and watch either way, Friday Nov. 9 through Sat. Nov 10th..
Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mark that the two ports on the WG are probably reversed which means that the WG does not function. It easy to bypass the EBC with a piece of rubber hose going from the boost tap on the left side of the IC down to the SIDE porton the WG . The top port is only a vent and doesn't even need a hose except for debris prevention.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Pretty damn sad if a shop owner looked at it and didn't see that!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
I'll have a peeksee some night this week and report back. For now, just a little lighter in the right size 10 - doesn't make me light in the loafers does it??? AH!
These 930 wastgates are at the end of their years of usefulness. If you're interested in keeping the originality of the car, then by all means restore the stock wastegate. Otherwise buy a good aftermarket one. There are two areas in these wastegates you have to look at. One, is the diaphram, it gets old, stiff and brittle. The other less obvious area is the valve and the corresponding vlave guide. These two pieces wear and cause leakage around the area of the valve stem. I suppose you could machine a new guide from an engine valve guide, but is it worth the bother?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks for the insight guys. Agreed on the usefulness of the OE wastegate, I'd replace a diaphram but skip on resleeving and go Tial or the like certainly. HOPING it's something to do with the recent install (from PO) of the overboost protector, really I am. Hate to get jammed with a bill a week into it. I didn't PPI the car as it was from a close friend of mine and I pretty much new the car.

Yesterday Chris just touched the WG pipe and noted it cold, and peekd inside the wheel well out in the driveway to look at the WG for like 2 seconds. He was off to Daytona today and was jammed, said he wanted to look at it himself when he got back if I didn't mind waiting. Hoping it's to do with their install I'm happy to wait.

Never worked with Chris before, heard things from both sides of fence about them - was well as Auto Associates. Musante I practically go past to get to work, Canton's a bit of a hike. For now it'll do until I can form my own impression - I'm guessing you have one already Gary heh heh?

Ah, Southbury - only 52 exits down 84 for me 8-). We'll have to meet up somewhere sometime or I could plan a road trip some evening after my kids go down or something, love to meet you Gary.

Yes I'm a CVR PCA member... 11/07 LRP CVR PCA DE is a no go for me unfort., Super Hero Training Camp for my son's 5th bday party. Thanks for the invite though, would love to have gone otherwise haven't been since 4/06 in the GT3, and a number of times prior. 3 kids put me on sabbatical this year - d'oh. Have fun!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
InC
Instructor

sorry guys... hijacking this tread. since we are at it, just wanna check if the Over boost switch cuts fuel pump power supply or ignition? Will it still work if the fuel pump relays are bridged?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that it cuts the power to the fuel pump relays only, and not the ignition.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Agreed. I understand the switch earths the relays causing them to close until the switch gets tripped by overboost.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
InC
Instructor

thanks guys,

It also means to say if we bridge the fuel pump relay, the boost cut will not work as the supply to the furl pump has been bridged..

Just wanna double confirm.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

You first need to hook up a mechanical boost gauge with a long hose into the cabin to se what its really doing.

If it is not overboosting than the switch may be bad or the wire connector is loose so it reacts to rpm viibration. these are common and easy fixes.

The switch is supposed trip at a 1.4bar spike but it not very reliable.

BTW ido have a oem wastgate w/a 1 br spring if you need it. from a 92.

Good luck
Elliot
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks for the thoughts Elliot. My GReddy Profec B Spec II has a built in boost gauge, and it confirms the OE one is accurate to its 1bar limit, and overboost cut out / protection occurs somewhere ~ 1.2bar (hard to keep eyes on road and down near shifter where it's mounted @ that point!).

It goes into shop who did the BC install / WG rebuild for the PO a few months back, come Monday. Should I need the WG I'll def. ping you. Appreciate it!

Tx again, wish me luck Mon.

-Paul
CT
'87 930
'01 //S8
'58 TR3A
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=pkrasusky;4763096]Thanks for the thoughts Elliot. My GReddy Profec B Spec II has a built in boost gauge, and it confirms the OE one is accurate to its 1bar limit, and overboost cut out / protection occurs somewhere ~ 1.2bar (hard to keep eyes on road and down near shifter where it's mounted @ that point!).

It goes into shop who did the BC install / WG rebuild for the PO a few months back, come Monday. Should I need the WG I'll def. ping you. Appreciate it!

Tx again, wish me luck Mon.

If you have headers that wiil sometimes cause a spike .
Also GHL has a wider diam pipe from turbo to correct this.
Good luck.
Elliot

Quick Reply: Boost cut off Question