911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Over cooling?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Over cooling?

Hi there,

I have had my 81-930 for 3 years now and still getting used to her.
First summer I realized high temp (about halfway) in stop and go summer traffic and the engine would sometime quit then restart a few minutes later.

A new green distributor cord fix the stalling and a front spoiler mounted oil cooler seems to have ensured low oil temp maybe too well. Now it takes over an hour for the need to reach the top of square. It almost never goes above. As a result the oil tank level almost never registers and I am afraid to overfill it. I replaced the thermostat in hopes of fixing that and an occassional clicking noise I heard from the right rear 1/4.

What am I doing wrong?
Is overcooling a problem?

It has a very minor leak and the normal puff of smoke when used the way she was designed.
BTW I do a lot of stupid stop and go Tokyo city driving

thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the thermostat is working properly the front oil cooler will not be in the loop until the oil temp reaches about 220 degrees more or less. The initial rise in temp should be the same as before except when the thermo opens, then you should see a drop. If you are not reaching operating temp at all, then your thermo is set too low. The factory designed the oil thermo to open at pretty high temp and a lot of owners have replaced the temp sensor with a lower degree setting one. I have read that anything above 230 is caution and 250 is trouble.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The thermostat opens at 180
Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geof is correct. I was thinking about the cooling fan which comes on at about 220. Some people change the fan thermo to a lower number or put in a manual switch to control it when needed. In your case I don't think that is needed.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

thanks for the input. she doesnt have the factory fender mounted oil cooler. I replaced it with a front spoiler mounted unit, which incidentally get hot quickly. So it appears as if the thermostat is open all the time even after replacing it. I was a bit concerned after reading the latest Excellence article about "warming up the fluids, before giving it a proper run" Just afraid i am not treating her right. BTW she is alway popping and snapping though the Endurance Racing muffler(for lack of a better word, seriously loud!!)
http://picasaweb.google.com/T3Japan/81930

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over cooling?