Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Can anyone Help with dash please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Can anyone Help with dash please?

On my 85 930 I noticed the dash is lifting in the front close to where it meets the windshield. The car does Not sit in the sun it is garaged. has this happened to anyone else if so how did you resolve the issue? I noticed it getting worse and can not figure it out. It also looks like the screws when you look into the long vent at the base of windshield have been taken out and the holes are broken. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated? I was told to drill holes and screw the dash down and put one of those hard plastic covers over it.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some years ago a friend of mine took the dash out of his 76 930 and had it recovered in leather. It looked great when done. I don't know who he sent it to or the cost, but it was all pulled up before the repair and was like new when done.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
930targa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cover would be the cheap alternative , you can try and find a nice one on ebay .. but to replace it you most likely will have to take off the windshield , atleast this is the way i was taught to do it.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 PM
CSquared2k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is doing that, because I had a moisture problem. I had to have the window removed and resealed. I would start there.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Black930
On my 85 930 I noticed the dash is lifting in the front close to where it meets the windshield. The car does Not sit in the sun it is garaged. I was told to drill holes and screw the dash down and put one of those hard plastic covers over it.
Are you the original owner? If not, then at some point in it's life the car has probably sat in sunlight. Even normal use and exposure to the sun will cause this to happen. The problem is that the leather on the dash shrinks over time if not treated... some mor than others as most don't get treated way down in the corners where they pull loose.

Don't understand why you would drill the dash and then put screws and a cap on it.. you may not be happy with the results.

Proper repair will reguire removal of the windshield and dash itself..

- go in trunk and remove panel that covers blower unit..reach around unit and there will be 3-4.. 8 or 10mm nuts that secure the dash..

- there will be several plastic pins which you will need to push up through the top to release the dash. You will probably break the pins and need to get some from the dealer.. befor you start.

- Removal of the center a/c vent is simple with a very small flat screw driver between the vent and the dash itself.. be careful, go slow.. wedge it out.

- Any local upholstery shop worth his rent should be able to recover the dash in leather or vinyl. Vinyl is cheaper of course and there are some grades that are very hard to tell from leather. It will wear better also. But if you want it to be as it was.. then leather is the way to go.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

thank you guys for the advice it is something I will be doing in the near future.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Robinrobink
7th Gear

I just repaired the same problem. Indeed, the windshield should come out. Also, you should anticipate that the plastic shell may be so deformed that recovering may not solve the problem. Mine was so warped that I had to replace the entire cover. I got a vinyl covered one from Pelican for around $ 900.00. The shop where I deal has a nice used one sitting if you have any interest.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

You will be better off finding something decent at a swap meet or on ebay and having it recovered.. that is if yours is in fact warped. $900 is a lot to me for a recovered dash.

Just my thought.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

I do believe the dash is in fact warped. would you guys know when and where the next swap meet is closest to NY? what is a fair price for a dash?
Robinrobink what are they asking for the dash?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Robinrobink
7th Gear

The dash has all new little nylon doohickies that break when it comes out of the car. It also has new metal studs. The dash is vinyl not leather, but it is in excellent condition. They want $ 450, but they will take less. Maybe offer $ 400 or so. They don't correspond by e-mail much, so I will be the messenger boy if you are interested. You can PM me at robink@betzwood.com.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

robink I tried to email you but it was sent back it said something wrong with your email.

Quick Reply: Can anyone Help with dash please?