Another EFI conversion about done

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

What a nice car and build! The GT35 should be a real blast

I would maybe reconsider placing the air intake in the rear fender inside the wheel wells. That is a low pressure area and very little air goes through it, air passes by the side of the body, across the rear wheels, and then straight to the rear bumper, especially in wide body cars, there is little or almost no air flow coming inside the wheel wells while dirving.

One should look into the GT2 Evo setups and try to simulate them by routing a duct from a high speed fresh-air location such as the top of the rear engine deck lid, where fresh air flow is massive, coming from the rooftop towards the top of the wing tail, where the intercooler is located. A scoop there, (think GT3 Cup) and ducting all the way down to the turbo seems like a better option despite the distance travelled.

Just my 0.02c.

Last edited by Jean; 09-07-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to add the rear brake vents like you see on my car. I noticed when I put them in that with some custom made ducting running along the inside of the wheel well, that it could be routed into the engine bay very easily. It would be pressurised air while moving and would be a lot cleaner. If the old style vents were not wanted the new style, half moon, which are drop in vents could be used.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just use a chisel and hammer to get this effect

Old 09-07-2007, 05:08 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, the S ducts would be cool. We have done this before which worked out well.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2007, 07:40 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe the boxster has rimmed intakes that fit into the fender through a hole that is not lipped. These would be much easier than the old 930 S type.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

I always LOVED the S rear panels.

jimculp: are those factory or aftermarket?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Don't get any ideas .Phil!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:29 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hope that car never gets caught in the rain, or gets drivin on any kind of dirty road serface. Sorry to be negative but that just seems like the worst possible place to the air filter, your just asking to get a pebble/rock or any kind of debris sucked into the turbo...I would re-engineer your setup.
I absolutely agree - this seems risky. The K&N filter is not the best for filtering small particles and dust. I bet after a few weeks, there is considerable buildup of dirt on the filter. I would also do an oil analysis looking for silicon and aluminum indicative of mineral matter.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Jeffrey,
You can actually get a sock for the filter that is an additional filter to help with the particles usually missed by just the normal K&N. It is also useful on the newer TTs that have MAF issues in regards to the oil and the film on the maf.

All things considered when you have a 4 inch pipe going to the turbo your options are VERY limited.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:25 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen:
I can't put my hands on the photos, but I remember seeing the air inlet/filter routed back up into the engine bay. Was there no room, the plumbing too complicated or something unusual about this conversion?

Edit: I found this photo...
Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Part of it was space. We would have to cut about a 5 inch hole in the side of the engine bay in order to accommodate a 4 inch holes. Reroute the engine harness and the fuse panel, etc. It when it came down to doing it the space was questionable and I didn't want to cut half of the bay to rig something that wouldn't work. We considered stepping the pipe down but I didn't want to restrict the turbo inlet.

I have done smaller pipes like 3 inch that way but another inch makes it a bit more challenging.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Snowmobiles!! What the hell does snowmobiles and this project have in common you are asking. Glad you asked Well apparently snowmobiles have an issue of melted snow water locking motors! AKA water! So they developed a screen that will resist water but still allows flow for the intake to come through. So we ordered some and will be placing it around the area of the filter. This should keep any large amounts of water out of the filter area yet allow good flow to the filter.

As soon as we get it I will post pics. And to think I hate the snow!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Snowmobiles!! What the hell does snowmobiles and this project have in common you are asking. Glad you asked Well apparently snowmobiles have an issue of melted snow water locking motors! AKA water! So they developed a screen that will resist water but still allows flow for the intake to come through. So we ordered some and will be placing it around the area of the filter. This should keep any large amounts of water out of the filter area yet allow good flow to the filter.

As soon as we get it I will post pics. And to think I hate the snow!
You love snow!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JBH
Stephen:
I can't put my hands on the photos, but I remember seeing the air inlet/filter routed back up into the engine bay. Was there no room, the plumbing too complicated or something unusual about this conversion?

Edit: I found this photo...

Yep, that is about a 3 inch pipe though not the 4 inch we have coming off of the turbo now. There is not that much metal on the tray! I do think the new solution will work well. All the snowmobile forums talk about the screen. I guess it is a silicone based screen that is also used in pet doors???

Uh huh Karl love the snow. That cloud in front of me is not my breath. It is me cursing as my hands went numb!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this also be a necessary add on item for the BMC Filter kits?

Quick Reply: Another EFI conversion about done