Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car.

I got it. LOL

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Beautiful car, but do Bob Guiccione take some of the pics?

Joke - let me know if you get it...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Marken..

Where did you find that speaker enclosure? I've been looking for one of those! Had one years ago and let it go with the car.. purchaser just had to have it.

Paul
Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the tapping noise

It sounds like a very loose rocker arm. Just one of them. Mine sounded like that when I bought it... turned out to be a clogged cam spray bar hole above the number 5 cylinder.
The #5 intake rocker and cam lobe was getting no oil and the clearance was around 3/32" or more... I imagine the valve guide could be a bit worn too.
Yours is pretty loud above the engine. You can take the top rocker covers off with out changing the oil and check each intake with a feeler gauge while the cylinder is at TDC.
It's not easy but you can sort of tell if the exhaust rockers are too loose from above.
You check them with a straight feeler gauge using the "backside method" where you measure the clearance between the cam lobe and rocker arm pad... but you have to dump the oil and take the lower covers off to adjust them.

An exhaust leak at the exhaust port/header flange can sound kinda like that too. Exhaust flange leaks are usually louder when cold, and higher pitched than a loose rocker. Sometimes just tightening the header mounting nuts can stop that... at least for a while.

Put a hose to your ear and hold the other end up to the exhaust flanges to find a leak if it's there. Otherwise that sounds like a loose rocker arm.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Beautiful car.
I got it. LOL
Much appreciated. She aint to bad for Guards Red. I know Bob is a famous photographer, but I think it still went over my head. I had a smudge in the center of all my pics that turned out to be my little one's finger print & the flash keep reflecting on the 930's side markers. Better luck next time.

Originally Posted by onboost
Marken..
Where did you find that speaker enclosure? I've been looking for one of those! Had one years ago and let it go with the car.. purchaser just had to have it.
Paul
Hmmm. I think the enclosure is/was made by Zbox, but they do not produce it any more. It came w/ the car as well as a completed upgraded stereo w/ MBQuart components, dual amp setup, aftermarket clarion head unit, K40, 5-speed conversion, coilovers, blah, blah, blah.

Originally Posted by JFairman
It sounds like a very loose rocker arm. Just one of them. Mine sounded like that when I bought it... turned out to be a clogged cam spray bar hole above the number 5 cylinder.
The #5 intake rocker and cam lobe was getting no oil and the clearance was around 3/32" or more... I imagine the valve guide could be a bit worn too.
Yours is pretty loud above the engine. You can take the top rocker covers off with out changing the oil and check each intake with a feeler gauge while the cylinder is at TDC.
It's not easy but you can sort of tell if the exhaust rockers are too loose from above.
You check them with a straight feeler gauge using the "backside method" where you measure the clearance between the cam lobe and rocker arm pad... but you have to dump the oil and take the lower covers off to adjust them.

An exhaust leak at the exhaust port/header flange can sound kinda like that too. Exhaust flange leaks are usually louder when cold, and higher pitched than a loose rocker. Sometimes just tightening the header mounting nuts can stop that... at least for a while.

Put a hose to your ear and hold the other end up to the exhaust flanges to find a leak if it's there. Otherwise that sounds like a loose rocker arm.
Thank you for your opinion. Thanks to onboost/Paul, I have a local P-car tech coming by this week to do an on-site diagnosis. I'll report back w/ his findings/opinion.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman
You can take the top rocker covers off with out changing the oil and check each intake with a feeler gauge while the cylinder is at TDC.
Actually in a pinch you don't have to dump the oil to remove the lower covers..you can drain it down some and jack the car high enough on an awkward angle (either left or right), pull the valve cover and make your adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexlyf
Hmmm. I think the enclosure is/was made by Zbox, but they do not produce it any more. It came w/ the car as well as a completed upgraded stereo w/ MBQuart components, dual amp setup, aftermarket clarion head unit,
I thought that was a Z-box enclosure! Yeah, they're long gone but they made nice stuff back in the 80's. I have one sitting inmy basement that I had in a Ferrari Mondial Cabrio.. it was the perfect addition to give that thing some sound with the top down. The piece I have is for sale if anyone knows someone with a Mondial in need of a music upgrade. On the other hand, if anyone has one of these Z-box enclosures for a 911 I'm interested.

Good luck on your fix and see ya soon!

Paul
Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Bernard
Pro

I'm thinking of ordering the C2 bumper kit. Can I get a stright shot of the rear? Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
mdurbahn
Banned

If you get the C2 bumper kit do you need the rockers as well?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Bernard
Pro

Originally Posted by mdurbahn
If you get the C2 bumper kit do you need the rockers as well?
No... I'll be just ordering the bumpers.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bernard
I'm thinking of ordering the C2 bumper kit. Can I get a stright shot of the rear? Thanks
I unfortunately do not have any. Weird I know.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Bernard
Pro

Originally Posted by Lexlyf
I unfortunately do not have any. Weird I know.
No problem... Your kit is from better bodies right?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

That's my best possible educated guess, as I do not see any documentation to prove otherwise.

Why do I think it's Better Bodies? I took a detailed look @ body kit pieces from multiple aftermarket body kit companies and nothing came close but an exact Better Bodies offerings. I would imagine for an even better confirmation, a call to Better Bodies would be possible with an item/product # possibly stamped on the actual body pieces.

I have read the negative comments about Better Bodies quality, as of late, but if in fact my 930 has this manufacturer's kit, I absolutely do not have ANY fittment and/or quality issues. Then again, different span of time, different behind the scenes operations.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Bernard
Pro

Thanks for all your help. What I've decided to do is go with Better Bodies on the rear because they offer it in 3 piece with no cut outs for the exhaust, Getty doesn't. Armando has been very helpful and I was insured fitment wont be an issue. I will go with Getty for the front bumper and splitter.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lex,

Did you install the parts or someone else? While they may look good now, it may have taken an enormous amount of work to get them there.

Sorry if I sound like sour grapes. After my experience, I thought I'd give a heads up to anyone interested in them.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:55 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

What a good looking car- I wish I could be more tech help but I will ask my club expert to take a look at the video. Good luck
Old 09-14-2007, 05:23 PM
mdurbahn
Banned

Originally Posted by SoFast
Small PSI adicition....LOL BTW, nice wife you must have. I am limited to my toys. I keep the peace.

1970 426 Hemi Road Runner - Sledge Hammer
1985 930 - Affinity
2004 Hummer H2 - Winter Daily Driver
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 - Daily Summer Driver
1995 BMW M5 Touring - Wifes Daily Driver

The all have a garage spot. LOL I cannot exceed the maximum storage space.

I love hemi road runners!

Quick Reply: She awakes from her slumber