Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Is a Slantnose conversion a do-able mod ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is a Slantnose conversion a do-able mod ?

Are there any aftermarket slant nose fender, headlamp assemblies available? It looks like it would be an easy conversion... the hardest part would be maybe remounting the oil cooler and getting the headlight linkage working properly?

I kind of like that look, but the price would determine how much I like it.

The cabs are the only cars that had the rear fender vents, correct?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM
equality72521
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx1
The cabs are the only cars that had the rear fender vents, correct?
Nope, coupes had them too.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by equality72521
Nope, coupes had them too.

Ahh ... well that kills the idea. Thats cool, I like the standard look just as well if not better. I guess the slant looks slightly more exotic.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy....so I see that your ski lift pass, grants you access to the TRIPPLE BLACK DIAMOND slippery slope!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
sand_man
Drifting

I think 911rudy just went through the intsallation of the rear fender vents...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Guns951
Race Car

NR Auto.com has the conversion for like $4k in steel. I'm moving to fixed buckets for the headlights as I don't like the idea of using RX7 headlight mechanics.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I just did all that on mine
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

welded in the vents put on the fenders. you need to find a steel kit though not fiber glass. wasnt really hard once i figured out all the wiring what relays I needed etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put in removable rear vents simply because that was the way the factory '87s came. I would say that to just weld them in would be a whole lot eaiser than making them removable. aif you get into it, just remember that the fender metal is pretty thin so use a copper backing plate behind your welds to prevent burnthrough and warpage. I got one of the 930S guys to send me measurements from his factory slant to determine where to put the vents. Here are a couple of closeups. The tricky thing is to get the "Collectors" as they are called parallel with the bottom of the car or ground. I have seen several where they are pointed skyward. The black things under the collectors are the black screws holding the fron edge into the fender. On the bottom shot you can just mkae out the seam between the fender and the vent. According to the factory specs I used it should be 10mm wide. There is nothing holding the outside edge of the vent to the fender but the bracket inside the fender well has a 10mm bolt that can be adjusted to push outward on the vent towards the fender. I then sprayed the whole seam with undercoating making sure that it cane through the seam into the vent. It was easy to clean it off afterwards.
Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM
02fly
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was just a set of slant fenders on ebay that didn't sell if you do a search in the completed iteams you'll find them. GOOD LUCK I love my car with the slant front fenders.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

1. Your car looks so nice, Maxx
2. There are so many crap conversions out there (just look at ebay)

Are you sure you want to molest your pretty 930 with a slant nose conversion? I admit I have no idea about the cost. But quality costs. So if you go with steel (instead of fiberglass) front flares, proper pop-up headlamps (factory was a single motor driving both light housings--most aftermarket conversions are 2 RX-7 units), cutting your steel rear fenders and installing the vents, installing wooden slats (like the factory), and adding on the boxed rockers, topped off with a nice coat of paint--I would imagine that that would cost quite a bit. Far more than I would be willing to spend, and far more than you'll ever recover in resale value. I woulda just bought a slant nose or conversion to begin with.

edit: Just re-read my post. I do not mean to imply that all conversions are poorly done. Just that many of them are. And to do a proper one means not cheaping out on quality of materials or workmanship, as a lot of ebay specials seem to have done.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noah930
1. Your car looks so nice, Maxx
2. There are so many crap conversions out there (just look at ebay)

Are you sure you want to molest your pretty 930 with a slant nose conversion? I admit I have no idea about the cost. But quality costs. So if you go with steel (instead of fiberglass) front flares, proper pop-up headlamps (factory was a single motor driving both light housings--most aftermarket conversions are 2 RX-7 units), cutting your steel rear fenders and installing the vents, installing wooden slats (like the factory), and adding on the boxed rockers, topped off with a nice coat of paint--I would imagine that that would cost quite a bit. Far more than I would be willing to spend, and far more than you'll ever recover in resale value. I woulda just bought a slant nose or conversion to begin with.

edit: Just re-read my post. I do not mean to imply that all conversions are poorly done. Just that many of them are. And to do a proper one means not cheaping out on quality of materials or workmanship, as a lot of ebay specials seem to have done.
I probably wouldn't want to mess with my black car since it is original, but I am thinking of the future if I find a nice roller or some kind of project 911 / 930. Since I do paint and body work, it would be a natural for me.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

I have a pair of aftermarket steel slant nose fenders that I was going to use on a project but changed my mind. I believe they were made by Golden Coachworks. When I bought these they did not come with headlights. If anyone can use the fenders please pm me. Looking for $1,250 for the pair.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

It's true though..both the standard version of the 930 and the slantnose cars are very SEXY!!

There are many variations on the theme as to quality of the conversions... I've had 3, the first one being a factory DP car built on a Euro 83 SC Targa. It was fun and fast... bought it with the front end damaged, repaired it with a bumper/spoiler from AIR and painted it Candy Apple Red!

The 2nd one was painstakingly done on a 76 930 shell.. had all the factory specs etc as provided by a friend who worked for Porsche. Fender tops were cut and inserts from Golden Coachwerkes were used... yes with the Mazda motors. Tops were butt-welded and lead finished as were the rear 1/4 vents. One of the coolest things we did was to put a factory oil cooler w/rock gaurd andrubber seal into the right rear vent just like the factory 930S. The only way you could tell this car was not factory were the headlight motors. But who cares right? The car was show quality and is still being enjoyed today!

Current Turbo is factory 930 with body mods done by previous owner through Alan Johnson Racing. Back in the early 80's when the slantnose fad really hit, AJR did a limited number of conversions per year or you could buy the parts from them direclty. Believe the body parts alone were around $12k.. many of the parts provided were factory special wishes components...remember AJR was a authorized dealer.

My car has a large factory oil cooler across the front, period correct 930S steering wheel and center console w/the "flared" knee pads that meet the console, factory "collectors" or vanes in the rear duct...and the most curious part... the fenders appear to be either stamped or hand formed 1 piece units. Ther is no seam undernegth... go figure!

Ok, so I've seen the pics of your car...very nice. If you want to do it I'd geta used set of fenders..convert those, and keep the originals. As for the rear... there were some 930s that were factory ordered with the brake vents... so in my opinion, that would not be out of place with either set of front fenders.

Just my 02 cents worth...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maxx ur car is great the way it is.once you start to change it then it will never b the same.IMHO leave it original.

Quick Reply: Is a Slantnose conversion a do-able mod ?