911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need advice on what to look for 87 930

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on what to look for 87 930

a friend of mine heard of a guy he knows selling his 87 930 but it has been sitting in his garage for quite a few years. he is trying to get me to buy it. what should I look for besides dry rot? anything I should look for specifically?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not getting into the engine/trans, you should be very careful not to get a car with rust in the places that will cost a fortune to repair. In your area rust is always a problem because of the salt used on roads. If the car is not local and comes from another region, then you are one step closer to a deal. A thorough PPI is a must and things that degenerate from lack of use are brakes/rotors, brake fluid, rubber seals, gasoline, A/C lines and seals, electrical connections and fuses/relays. The clutch can become one with the pressure plate due to moisture and rust. The tires are almost certainly to have flat spots and dry rot. The engine is probably the most protected piece on the entire car because it is sealed up and oily inside. However, to just start an engine that has been sitting for several years is not smart because there will be very little residual oil on any of the moving parts. My advice would be to get someone who knows Pcars well and have them come and look at it before you decide to dig deeper into it. If he says that it looks good on the surface, then have him do the prestart preperations and go from there. It sounds exciting to find a "Barn" car and it may well be a jewel! Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

would you know what the prestart preparations? the car is suppose to be in showroom condition besides the dust.lol. thank you in advance I am suppose to see the pcar tomorrow. sooooooooooo excited its like I was a kid again. I will be sure to keep everyone posted thanks again.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, but don't let emotion cloud your judgement. If you're serious about it get a PPI at the dealer, can save you $$$$$.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black930
would you know what the prestart preparations? the car is suppose to be in showroom condition besides the dust.lol. thank you in advance I am suppose to see the pcar tomorrow. sooooooooooo excited its like I was a kid again. I will be sure to keep everyone posted thanks again.

I would say to drain out the old gas and purge the lines with fresh. Hopefully the pumps and injectors are not gummed up. Drain the old oil in the crank case and tank and add fresh. Install fresh plugs.

I don't suppose there is anyway to prime the oil pump without cranking the motor over, but you may want to disable the ignition and crank the motor over a few seconds to get some oil pressure up before actually firing the motor up. Of course, Porsches may be different but that is what I would do with any other make of car that has been sitting a long time.

The clutch could be sticking. I wonder too if the brakes are in good shape? That could be another problem area.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Black 930: I share in your excitement and anticipation in picking up a really nice car that's been sitting underwraps...BUT....I had the same experience and had to spend around $1500-2000 doing fix-its for little things that guys never seem to get around to doing. I also had to deal with hard and brittle vacuum lines, corroded contacts...fuse panel issues, and a number of annoying little things. I have to admit with some chagrin that my car came home two times on the back of a AAA flatbed till I got the little fix-its ironed out. Sort of embarrassing to say the least...this beautiful car piggybacking home on a flatbed as the neighbors snicker! Take care of the doo-dads BEFORE you buy it, not after.

The advice from Guns951 about PPI is essential. Do NOT buy the car without it. Put your emotions in a box and lock up your check book till you get it inspected. Like I said, the excitement and anticipation of finally owning a beautiful piece of Porsche history is a very difficult thing to negotiate when your emotions are running on high octane and you get worried that someone is going to ace you out. Give the guy a $500 hold-it check and write up a little agreement that specifies a conditional sale based upon the outcome of a PPI. This saved me from making a bad mistake on another previous transaction. It also allows you the latitude of negotiating a price downward by identifying the things that will need to be fixed.

Best of luck to you....keep us in the loop on how you do...and of course the inevitable pictures are always welcomed.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Hey guys I really appreciate the help. I didnt get to see the pcar today the weather here has been a bit crazy hopefully I will get to see it this week. I will definately keep you guys informed.p.s. chuck jones as for the excitement it happens every time I even see pcars ever since a young child. I share the same experiance on my first pcar it is my 85 930 it was the same way friend of the family was selling it and I was able to get it at a great deal.the very first day having it I got stuck on side of highway because of a loose fuse talk about embarissing. but now I can laugh at it as I fly past all my friends.the only thing I didnt know about this forum it would of saved me alot of$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol. If I do get this pcar it will be my 3rd I just love these cars.once again I am pretty new to this web stuff and just want to thank everyone for the help its great to have a place that everyone shares the same love of these cars as I do.

Quick Reply: Need advice on what to look for 87 930