Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

As Falk has mentioned, and I have previously mentioned.. The exhaust port to header holes are incorrect. When you guys get some miles on the system you will see that they will start leaking.. To correct this one would have to cut/make a set of bushings on the lathe.

It would be nice to verify a recent purchase to see if it has been corrected.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Bernard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a call back from Albert. He's not a big company he makes and sell them himself. Here are a few pictures of his system. He will sell the whole kit for $600 with lines, gaskets and all. You can't beat that. He only accepts Paypal or money orders.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to cause a stink here, but nearly everyone of those GSF header pictures is different. The top one looks like B&B without heat...notice that the triangular collectors have welded seams and the extra thick exhaust port flanges...just like B&B. Also notice the weld on the wastegate pipe...not found on the other pictures.

The other pictures (with the exception of the non-welded "floating" exhaust port flanges) look exactly like OBX. So which ones do you get?

And I didn't realize that Albert actually "makes" these...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Bernard
Pro

I'm not 100% sure he said he makes them, I could be wrong. The reason I want to get them from him is he supplies all that is needed for a very fair price. If anyone knows of a company selling around that price with oil lines and gaskets please let me know.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

well mine fit very well were finished good very good quality welds. the inlet size for the heater boxes was different. came with all the fittings exhaust gaskets. did not have turbo or waste gate gaskets. they are very nice headers. purchased them on line though not over the phone. somewhere on the web site or one of the e mails said he was out of the country for a couple weeks or something like that. but every e mail I sent with questions was promtly answered. the holes were all the correct sizes and yes mine were the version with heat.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bernard
I'm not 100% sure he said he makes them, I could be wrong. The reason I want to get them from him is he supplies all that is needed for a very fair price. If anyone knows of a company selling around that price with oil lines and gaskets please let me know.
No, please don't misunderstand (one of the shortcomings of an internet discussion), I'm not calling into question your purchase or even the GSF headers. I agree 100% that if you've never had aftermarket headers and are thus missing the "other" items (oil lines, gaskets, oil tank, clamps, etc.) a nice kit like he's put togther, is the way to go. I'm merely pointing out that from the pictures, his headers (without heat and welded flanges) look no different from the OBX. And if that's the case, what's to prevent the fitment issues that Falk and Kevin brought up. Keep in mind, I didn't experience any issues with mine and as of yet, still have no leaks.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Bernard
Pro

I understand you completely When I spoke with Albert he told me OBX stole is design but doesn't offer the kit like he does.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I have obx headers on my vw. They are TOP NOTCH.

I know it's no 930, but they get plenty hot and sure take some serious abuse.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 AM
DDD
Pro

I HAVE ALL YOUR ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to Albert of Goingsuperfast today, he had just changed to a new phone number but he was very prompt in calling me from an email. Great customer service!

Here is the deal: He made his header design a while back, and the people that resell it for him call it GSF, as in Goingsuperfast.

He is the designer of these headers. OBX is some Chinese company that simply ripped off his EXACT design, as Chinese companies often do.

You should not have any fit issues with genuine going super fast headers, GSF. However, OBX headers have proven to be a crapshoot. They are probably made by different suppliers around China, and you might get a good one and you might not......Kind of like buying pet food from China.

Albert makes no claims about his GSF header side by side with a B+B header, but he says that both types are going to give you 30-40 hp over stock, and that neither system is a true equal length system, they are simply as short as possible. He says that to step up to a true equal length set up, you are going to spend 4 grand on your headers. What you get is 20 extra hp at top end for equal length.

Albert says he has had no complaints about quality, performance, or fit.

And just so he can keep his model differentiated from the OBX imitation, he has changed the flange design to allow the flanges to be installed more individually, instead of being a two man job and having to put the row of flanges in all at once. Don't ask me for details about this aspect because I have not installed headers and didn't really follow him, but he wants to make sure his product is better and newer than the pirated copy.

Also, he is working on changing the oil line to make it more like the free flowing factory oil line, which is still the best (at $500).

Albert is a good guy, and he sells his original headers with all the accessories for the same price as OBX. His headers with heat, oil lines, gaskets, drip tank and everything is $850. He will have them in stock in three weeks. His headers without heat are $600 with everything included.

I would not mess with OBX when I can get the real thing from Albert. Not to say that people have not had good results with the copy, because the design is the same, I just think Albert is pretty cool and helpful and he is constantly improving his stuff. If you buy from him, I think you will have a guy who will help you out in the future.

Bernard will probably back me up on this.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Falk930
Instructor

@Kevin,
to make some bushings to fit the 8mm bolt was my idea too,
but as I wrote, then you will have big problems to get the
headers on your heads.

During test mounting I discovered that the bolts are not in the center
of these 10,5mm holes.
Its already not plug and play to put the headers with big holes on the
heads.

I will do few bushings for the holes where its possible to insert them.
The others I leave as they are.

As said, If you are able to invest work and time in the OBX,
the price is ok.

Truly I would prefer a fitting kit!

Can someone post "Alberts" contact in my PM please?

*I dont think they have changed the design, neither the holes.
The point is the system with chin copys.
A while ago they copyed one of my products.
Amazingly they used a 1st series sample.
We had discovered a fitting problem
which we changed fast.
The china copys overfloated the market, with the fitting
problem. Now the market is dead...

They produce in big quantitys usually,
if a problem occurs, it takes lot time till
they hear from and are able to change.

Falk

Last edited by Falk930; 06-28-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:14 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Well there you have it...

I think my only concern, however, is your contention that Albert's GSF headers are "real" and the others are fake? WTF?!?! So is he the end-all inventor of the 930 after-market header...or do you suppose he had a little inspiration when he set out on his "design"??

I wasn't trying to fuel a pissing match. Just stating that I had NO ISSUES with the install of my OBX headers!!! And I have had NO ISSUES thus far with leaking on my OBX headers on a car that I drive daily in a pretty hot climate. I didn't need anything but the headers. I didn't need heat. And I needed them fast. Additionally, I was merely pointing out from the few pictures that Bernard posted of the GSF headers, that each one looked a little diffferent. This was probably due to the evolution of his "design".

Could I have called Albert (whom I have little doubt *IS* a "good guy" and whose website I have had book-marked for a long time) and tried to negotiate some sort of deal for just the headers? Probably so. But OBX had exactly what I needed already boxed, was willing to ship them fast, and they looked identical to his and the others I've seen. Plus for $499 (including expedited shipping from CA), a claimed T321 stainless material, and a life time guarantee, I was willing to "roll the dice".

Keep in mind, my high dollar B&Bs developed actual holes only after 26 months and approximately 10,000 miles of use! There is no way around it (beyond some crazy expensive iconnel material), these engines are hard on headers...

YMMV
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 AM
sand_man
Drifting

So then I gather Albert's headers are made by him in the U.S. of A.?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 PM
DDD
Pro

Sandman, nobody seems to be arguing about anything.

Enjoy your OBX headers.

I personally would like to reward Albert for his time and efforts as a Porsche enthusiast and member of our community.

I would like to think that Albert will use my money to further his work in making new products for old 930s. I know OBX won't.

If I hadn't found out more about the situation, I am sure I would have simply bought the OBX and been perfectly happy.

If people want to buy OBX over GSF, than so be it. But the questions people have asked over and over are why do these headers all look the same and where are they coming from. We now have a way of knowing who designed the headers, and who copied the design. I feel like that is the answer to a question that has come up around here a lot lately.

Albert sources his products from basically anywhere that will do it right, including China. He inspects his products personally, and he has been upset when products are not made to his standards. He is currently trying to bring an oil line to the market as good as the expensive Porsche product, and he is turning down some sources that are just not good enough. He wants his stuff to be right.

Last edited by DDD; 06-29-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 AM
DDD
Pro

Falk, please talk about this post some more:

*I dont think they have changed the design, neither the holes.
The point is the system with chin copys.
A while ago they copyed one of my products.
Amazingly they used a 1st series sample.
We had discovered a fitting problem
which we changed fast.
The china copys overfloated the market, with the fitting
problem. Now the market is dead...

They produce in big quantitys usually,
if a problem occurs, it takes lot time till
they hear from and are able to change.

Falk[/QUOTE]

Falk,

Are you posting something that Albert e-mailed to you?

Is this a quote of Albert saying that OBX copied his 1st series GSF headers with the wrong bolt sizes, and that OBX made a lot of those copies all at once, while Albert corrected his GSF design when he discovered the problem?

Thanks for your help. just trying to understand what this quote is about!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Falk930
Instructor

@DDD

this might be off topic meanwhile.
regarding my post, this is only my experience
and observations with chin copys.

I dont know Albert and I have never seen GSF Headers in real.
I only felt that these OBX are chin copys when I saw the first pics,
after I recieved them, I am quite sure, but cant say 100%.
But I like to get in contact with "Albert"!!

What I personally dont like on chinese copys:
A clever businessman simply buys a part,
in this case it would have been a set of GSF headers.
Ship this to china, get a price for a quantity 100/500/1000.
The price is attractive for sure, the basic quality is
definitly ok.

The bad point is:
They only copy existing part, they dont know for what it is,
no tolerances, simply they mostly dont know anything about
the part or car.

They had copyed one of my products, stainless steel tube bending
too. But they copyed a mistake which was in this 1st series design.
That showed me, they never tested the part in any way.

For 930 headers, there is more development needed then copying
existing after market header. Fast and it seems this happened
with the OBX ones, you get out of tolerances.

Next bad point: No support!
Who is the person you can ask if you observe a problem with
OBX headers? They might not be deep in 930 business/ details,
they cant answer detailed questions.

As I am in stainless tube bending + welding too,
I feel a 930 header set (without heat) should cost around 1000$.
For that price it can be done correct with
acceptable tolerances and all the beside stuff like hoses
and OIl tank.
Unfortunatly the price range was far above that.
That why the OBX ones was made.
Now the serious producers have a competition they can
only win in quality, price is unbeatable.

*In case Albert is the one who first designed these headers
and he can offer a price not to far from the OBX ones,
I would strongly recommend to buy from him.
1: he might know what he has build, can offer support and further development
2: correctness

maybe someone can make me a contact to Albert? please

Falk

Quick Reply: I Want To Order These Headers But...