911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Sunroof????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 AM
HADS930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof????

Anybody have any suggestions as to where to start looking for sunroof problems. Motor is working, one side acts like it wants to work, but nothing. From poking around online I see that there are not too many parts to run down. Motor, cables and gearbox are the main things? Where do I start looking? Do I look in the zipper in the headliner? Where is the best place to try to run down drawings and parts lists? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like one side of the two cables has either failed or come loose. The way to get at the mechanism is to open the sun roof about 6 inches then insert your fingers along the front edge of the panel and pull the headliner loose from the sun roof. You can then slide the head liner panel back into the rear of the main head liner. From there you can take it apart. It looks hard but it really isn't. Once you have the roof out you can tell what's wrong. I had one side pull out of the bracket on the passengers side and was able to put it back and squeeze it into the bracket with vice grips and it has worked fine for more than a year.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
HADS930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any suggestions as to what to do if the roof does not open 6 inches?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HADS930
Have any suggestions as to what to do if the roof does not open 6 inches?

I had a sunroof cable break on my 87 Carrera. I unzipped the rear of the headliner to access the cables. As far as the sunroof goes, there is a mechanical bolt or screw where you can turn it and open it that way.... I totally forget where it was. Unzip the headliner, get a light up in there and look to see what you have.

Quick Reply: Sunroof????