RUF TURBO ON EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too think the car looks interesting. I don't know the car, but it has some nice parts. Too bad we can't inspect it a little closer. I'd like a look!

Leonard
Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Originally Posted by slownrusty

Evidently this guy has money....did you see what is in the back ground and his garage?

Yasin
Yep, and it's listed on eBay too. It's a Blackburn/Daly conversion slantnose on an SC chassis/engine......evidently this gentleman likes the conversions more than the real deal!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
sand_man
Drifting

WOWZERS...attack of the killer speaker pods!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
bucking
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car was done by Sol Snyderman of Perfect Power in Libertyville, IL. At the time of its conversion, he was one of two Ruf dealers in the USA. Regarding the wheel weights and the tape; it is used on many high end race cars and it permits the weights to be placed for perfect wheel balance. It stays put and it adhears for a long time. Sol has used it for many years. It is not just tape like you would buy, as one poster said, at a hardware store or Home Depot. It's expensive because it works. I have had it on one set of my wheels for more than 5 years. I am sold on it. Much better approach that "hiding" weights on the inside of the wheel. It allows you to put the weights where they are required and it allows much better balancing.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:59 PM
bucking
Instructor

For you data freaks, the wheel weight tape on the subject car is used by Ferrari on factory race cars and its high end sports cars; it's OE on the F40 It is a 3M product. It is a fiberglass reinforced aluminum tape with high temp adhesive. It is available for $201.60 for a 2" by 36 yard roll. It is available from 3M, part no. 3m363. I should also add that I use it on two of my Porsche turbos and have done so for years. I believe in this product strongly and Perfect Power's skill in balancing wheels PERFECTLY! I believe it both so strongly that I have Sol balance my wheels with it every time I balance wheels. That's a significant commitment: I live in Kansas and take my cars to him in Illinois because it works.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

No Tell_tale in the bost guage and the dial of death makes me skittish
Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it have a front oil cooler? It looks like a slant delete with the stakes and cooler setup toward the rear. I like the twin plug setup and the original tire size etc.(must be a handful below 60 degrees when the tires are cold). CIS or something else? 485 at the crank? I like the front spoiler set up too. The boost **** is where? I think the car has plenty of character and looks like all kinds of fun--RUF did a great IC set up . Wasn`t Blackburn-Daly(you should not live close to Chicago and spell Daly that way) the kings of Slant conversions back in the day??? strange this one stayed this way but I like the look.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
Oh I see.

Then lucky Ruf considers Ruf VINs and Ruf conversions to be true Ruf Cars.

Remember, before there was Ruf VINs, all Ruf cars were conversions.

Statement above is correct. Prior to Ruf being designated as a manufacturer and receiving "bodies in white" from Porsche.. all Ruf cars were conversions and Ruf was then considered as a tuner. There were several authorized distributors here in the US, the one on the East Coast being Exclusive MotorCars in NJ.

Based on which program you chose, ie.. how much you were spending, either the distributor upgraded your car with a number of bolt-on pieces.. like exhaust, IC, gauges, or wheels etc.. or a tech was flown in from RUF to supervise/assist with a full BTR conversion! That's how the program worked.

As far as Blackburn & Daly, back in the 80's when the slantnose conversions were really hot, they were one of two outfits in the US doing conversions that were blessed by Porsche.. meaning they were soooooo good that it would not void your warranty. The other was Alan Johnson racing.

Also, if you look at the 2nd photo of the engine you'll notice the gold foil decal like Porsche uses on the altnator strap... It say's Ruf BTR.. you didn't get those for buying wheels or and IC, and you can't buy'em on ebay!

Ok.. so it does luck like its been tracked, probably run hard a bit... hell wouldn't you!? should be a non-issue if properly maintained... I bet that sucker is fun!

P-
Old 05-16-2007, 05:23 PM
PerfPow
AutoX

First let me say I am not involved in the sale of this car in any way. This Ebay auction has caused my phone to ring a few extra times lately, though, and being a part time Rennlister I thought I could answer some of your questions. This car has never set a wheel on the race track. Both owners enjoyed having a fast car, but neither was doing weekly top speed runs either. When I last saw this car it was in perfect condition mechanically, with no oil leaks, and the paint and interior were in good condition. There are a few stone chips on the front and the paint has never been clay-barred or polished and probably hasn't been waxed for a couple years. Lately it has been used mostly for highway runs from Chicago to Wisconsin.

This conversion is what we called a BTR 2+, which meant a BTR 2 conversion (not Motronic, that's BTR3) that included the Ruf K27 'Special' and the dipped pipe, to clear the turbo's compressor housing, in the muffler, along with different turbocharger suction pipe and pressure pipe. Headers, O-ringing the heads and cylinders, and twin ignition were things we did (which Ruf didn't particularly like us to do, even though we were his authorized dealer then.) We wanted to be able to produce the additional power our customers demanded.
Perfect Power built this car in 1988. It had around 15-16000 miles on it already and I guess it has an additional 26,000 on it now. It has the correct, and excellent, Ruf front spoiler/oil cooler, Ruf 5 speed gearbox/shifter and originally had the Ruf 17" wheels, but went to 18" Fikses after several years.

BTW, everything Bucking said about the tape is true. If customers don't want the serious (and functional) racer's look, we will hide the weights and do the less perfect balancing job. As for the stereo...yuck. I like the music eminating from the rear, but this customer wanted the Z-box enclosures that you see in the pictures. They were considered desirable back then, but so was disco. Also the Recaro seats were a one off pair and they're quite comfortable. I think they are a version of the Recaro 'N' seat.

Telltale needles on the boost gauges often impede instrument needle movement and record useless spikes that occur when the throttle closes. It is far more important to have a vacuum portion of the gauge, allowing a 'live needle', or one that won't rest on a peg like a 0-2 Bar gauge with the telltale. Those were what Ruf, and I, were intentionally avoiding. This let's you see when you turn the car off where the needle really sits.

Sol Snyderman
Perfect Power Inc.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post Sol. Very interesting.

What were the suction and pressure pipe mods exactly?

TIA
Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM
PerfPow
AutoX

The pressure pipe is shorter and has a bigger inlet. The suction pipe has a bulge added to the front of it to open up its cross sectional area where they normally tighten up clearing the left engine mount.

Sol
Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
ferraripete
Racer

i also appreciate your explanation on the conversion sol. thank you .

pcb
Old 05-19-2007, 05:57 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Thank you Sol for a very informative post. Personally I would not let the in car entertainment system detract from the car itself as I am sure it would not be a problem to have it removed and thrown in the bin. The best ICE as you say is what is in the rear. I am hopefully going to look at a 1989 RUF CTR next week. It is apparently RUF chassis number three. It is in dark green (not my colour) black leather, half cage. Apparently 510bhp. Six speed gearbox. Any pointers that I should look for would be greatly appreciated. I am not a mechanic but I know enough to look for body or chassis damage, oil leaks etc. thank you for your help, regards, Graeme.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
PerfPow
AutoX

Hi Graeme,
Call me and I'll tell you what I know about that car, if it is one of the cars I've either driven or seen.

Quick Reply: RUF TURBO ON EBAY