911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Clutch and Shock Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Rob930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Shock Advice Needed

Hey guys. I have an '87 930 to which I am currently adding the following modifications: K27 HF, Blown-six intercooler, 1 bar spring, GHL exhaust, GSF headers, free-flow filter, A/F meter.

I'm replacing the clutch. My car only has 25k miles and I believe the clutch is original. I know I have to replace the rubber center with spring centered. But will the basic Sachs kit hold the new HP? If not, any recommendations?What are you guys using with similar mods? Is anyone running a lightweight flywheel with similar mods?

Current suspension is stock lowered to a bit below Euro height. My front end is super floaty and I believe my front shocks are toast. The shocks front/rear are green - Bilstiens I believe? I'd like a more aggresive set-up (not ready to go coil-over at this point.) I'm thinking Bilstien Sports? I think I've read somewhere about a Bilstien HD/Sport combo? What does this achieve?

Looking for any/all advice and opinions.

Thanks, Rob Gordon
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll chime in Rob. I think the early 930 spring centered clutch is good up to 450 hp or so and you'll be good with your mods. I had similar mods and drove my car on the track for years with the same clutch. In fact, I'm still using the same set up with 395 RWHP. IIRC, Stephen says the 911 Turbo doesn't like the lightened flywheel. The car runs better with a little mass.

Your struts may be toast. Idon't think Bilstein makes a sport, but they make a Heavy Duty strut. That's what I'm using with Koni Sports in the rear. Some places likeSteve Weiner can build your struts to suit your needs. Also, your struts need to work with your torsion bars.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After doing almost the identical changes that Rob is considering (minus the headers. so far), I can say that my stock clutch can no longer handle the extra juice. When I first bought the car years ago, I could hold full boost WOT in any gear, and it would pull very nicely. With the modifications, it pulls REALLY NICELY but I have to feather the throttle at about half to 3/4 (right when things are really getting going)....otherwise the clutch will slip and RPM's will peg in a heartbeat.
Now, if I would just get off my dead *** and pull the engine, replace the clutch with a nice spring centered unit, things would be good. BTW, I don't have a clue what's in there currently...I suspect a rubber centered disc, but who knows?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Rob930
Advanced

A930Rocket - Thanks for the reply. I assume you have the Koni's in the rear for the adjustability? My suspension is totally stock (ie. stock torsion bars). Can I use the HD's in the front and Koni's in the rear as you have?

Mark - Are you happy with the current modifications you have done? Was there a noticeable difference from stock? Can you keep up with the quicker modern cars? I'm very interested to hear your driving impressions.

Thanks, Rob
Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,

Yes I have the HD's upi front and the Koni's in the rear. The Koni's give a little adj although I've set them and never looked back.
I should have said I was referring to the spring centered clutch as well. I would not use the rubber centered clutch.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob930
A930Rocket -
Mark - Are you happy with the current modifications you have done? Was there a noticeable difference from stock? Can you keep up with the quicker modern cars? I'm very interested to hear your driving impressions.

Thanks, Rob
Well, I can answer part of that. First, my mods aren't exactly as yours (as I said, minus the header), and I'm using an older K27 7006 turbo which is still much better than the stock K26 3LDZ. Your HF should be a whole lot better still. Otherwise, I'm running a Fabspeed single outlet muffler, a B&B intercooler, an adjustable turbo boost controller of my own design set to 1.0 bar, and...just for protection at sustained boost...an Andial enrichment gizmo which does enrich to some degree (some would argue it's wasted money better spent on WUR mods, which is probably true, but that's what I have currently).

All together with everything working in concert, I'm please with the performance improvements. Hey, I noticed a big difference in the early days when all I had done was a CAT bypass! The turbo/muffler/1.0 bar boost all combine to give more HP (how much??? seat-of-the-pants says around 50 to 60 hp), and the intercooler helps to cram a cooler (thus denser) air charge into the mix, especially helpful when the ambient temperature is getting up there. Keeps that pre-ignition from happening.

Before the mods, I didn't have any trouble keeping up with and generally smoking most of the newer muscle cars (and plenty of the older ones), but now that the clutch slips a little, I'm not really pushing it. I'll run at about 3/4 throttle and let the boost peg out at 1.0, then ease the throttle on up until it's time to shift. It just makes that already long 4 speed transmission seem even longer.

Anyway, I don't think you or anyone who has done similar mods will be disappointed, as long as you weren't expecting a 400HP car out of it. You would need to throw some cams in to get to that point, and then start worrying about sufficient fuel delivery with the CIS being at it's limit. Enjoy the car!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Rob930
Advanced

Mark - Thanks for your thoughtful response. I've had my 930 for almost ten years, but got sidetracked with some other cars over the years. Rennlist and Pelican has really helped to renew my interest in these incredible cars. I can't wait to experience first-hand the performance that these new modifications deliver!

Quick Reply: Clutch and Shock Advice Needed