911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Cruise control on non-equipped 930's

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cruise control on non-equipped 930's

Has anybody attempted to install a cruise control system on an earlier 930? I don't even know if that was ever offered as an option, but my '87 would like to have the setup for those long boring road trips where there's a uniformed law enforcement official just waiting to catch me doing 1/2 mph over the limit.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I beieve I saw on the wiring diagram last night, but don't think any came with it. Maybe something to do with it running on a vacuum and the boost messing it up?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
82SC_VRAM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read where people have sourced an old throttle cable setup from an MFI car and used it as a 'manual' cruise control....
Old 04-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82SC_VRAM
I've read where people have sourced an old throttle cable setup from an MFI car and used it as a 'manual' cruise control....
Yeah, I could see that working. On my first Porsche many years ago (a '72 Targa), that manual throttle lock did come in handy. But it's not what I'm looking to do with this car. I could probably scab together aftermarket parts or those from some other make/model of car, but it may be more work than it's worth. Maybe something from a later model C2 or something....I don't know.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

See the note from Stephen, left quite awhile ago in response to a similar post (guess I should search the forum before asking).

Site Sponsor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get a universal kit. They work two ways. The first is they read a RPM and keep the system constant on the RPM when set. The other is to put a flyweight somewhere on the CVs. This will read rotation much like your flywheel. Both do work and can be installed on anything. Just make sure you find one that uses a solenoid only, no vacuum. That is the reason Porsche didn't do it. The ignition system was CDI so it wasn't as easy to make a system to read the marks and the boost made it difficult to use the old style cruise which was fed from the intake vacuum and pressure.

997TT Speed Yeller
76 911S For Sale
99 R1 For Sale
97 Discovery SE7 For Sale
87 930 3.4 Slant Cab.

ImagineAuto Inc.
Rennlist Lifetime member 990415-1065
Rennlist Site Sponsor

National PCA Tech Advisor 75-Present 911 Turbo, GT2, 993TT, 996TT
Old 04-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

All 930 turbos were not ever factory equiped with cruise control. Porsche figured (rightly) that cruise control and the features of a 930 were mutually exclusive. To retrofit one would not be that big a problem,--and no, there is not inherant conflict with one because it's a turbo. I had an aftermarket turbo added to my 911SC (which came with cruise control) and had no problems with it working,--aside from the fact that it wouldn't allow you to set and hold speed above 126mph....
Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 AM
ossie308
Advanced

Resurrecting a very old thread here as I read this and other posts before deciding to fit an after market vacuum type cruise control system. I can confirm it does work quite satisfactorily on a 930, a 1982 RHD model in my case with 362 HP at the flywheel. If anyone wants details please ask but in summary:

- I used a Command AP60 unit (http://tcag.com.au/products.html?c=65). The kit cost around $350.
- Vacuum was sourced from the brake boost line
- Actuator was connected behind the accelerator pedal and located in the front trunk.
- Speed sensor magnets (2) were fastened to the inner CV housing.
- Command module was located under drivers seat.
- Control pad was located directly behind center console (under handbrake).

Cruise control on a 930 might be offensive to some but most of us spend too much time driving on boring motorways/freeways to reach the better roads.

As a future mod I might try and replace the control pad with a 911 SC cruise stalk.

Last edited by ossie308; 01-13-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ossie308
Resurrecting a very old thread here as I read this and other posts before deciding to fit an after market vacuum type cruise control system. I can confirm it does work quite satisfactorily on a 930
Old? Who're you calling very old here? Well....ok....so it's been 10 years since I floated the question (and yeah, I'm no spring chicken here). Forgot all about it and have since decided I really don't need it. But thanks from all of us for the detail on how it's done!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 PM
ossie308
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Old? Who're you calling very old here? Well....ok....so it's been 10 years since I floated the question (and yeah, I'm no spring chicken here). Forgot all about it and have since decided I really don't need it. But thanks from all of us for the detail on how it's done!!!
Lol, glad to hear you're still around anyway!

Quick Reply: Cruise control on non-equipped 930's